Youth Olympics 3x3 - (Boston, Bueckers, Brunelle, Van Lith) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Youth Olympics 3x3 - (Boston, Bueckers, Brunelle, Van Lith)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More Hmmmm. She lists Indiana Fever rookie Kelsey Mitchell as well. How do you reconcile that? :confused:

Mitchell was a big-time scorer and left-handed shooter. That's what I expect Van Lith plans on being at UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm just glad to watch and discuss any kind of basketball as we near the end of the long, long offseason.

Even if it is sort of basketball-lite.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hopefully Kelli Stacy, the new UConn women’s beat reporter for the Courant will begin to give us periodic updates once official practice begins. Maybe she’ll throw in a feature story or two. It’s nice to be back in season after a long summer.

She can start with bringing us up to date on what some of the returning reserves did over the summer. It’s as though Coombs, Gordon, Irwin and Bent went into hibernation during the summer because we heard nothing about them.

Periodic reports about who’s stock is rising and who appears to have made a "leap" this year, would be welcome in the days leading up to that first exhibition game against Vanguard on November 4. Because of the talent and experience loss from last year's team, this team can not afford to have any "cheerleaders". EVEREYONE must be ready and able to contribute meaningful minutes when called upon.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mitchell was a big-time scorer and left-handed shooter. That's what I expect Van Lith plans on being at UConn.

There was a big time scorer that was left handed that was A LOT closer to Cashmere, WA than Columbus, OH. A Plum of a player if you will. Why isn't she on Hailey's list of favorite players?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
There was a big time scorer that was left handed that was A LOT closer to Cashmere, WA than Columbus, OH. A Plum of a player if you will. Why isn't she on Hailey's list of favorite players?

One reason might be that "includes" leaves a lot of wiggle room.

What I find even more interesting is that one of the names here (and the only current college player listed) belongs to a 6'4" Oregon forward who isn't left-handed and has no guard skills whatsoever. That suggests (to my unbiased eyes) that there may be some personal connection, although I haven't heard anything along those lines.

In any case, Oregon seems to get overlooked in discussions like this--and the ones about the 2019 "Haley" as well--and I think that could be a mistake. Washington has long been a prime recruiting area for Graves and his track record with guards isn't too shabby: a WNBA allstar (Vandersloot), and (arguably) the two best point/combo guards in the Pac 12 (Cazorla, Ionescu), one of whom is a big time scorer and each of whom has a good chance of eventually ending up on her respective country's Olympic/FIBA World Championship teams. If Ionescu stays for two years, and I think she will, Van Lith would be a perfect replacement.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
a lot of bonding going on......not sure if that's good or bad for UConn....

Where's Sam--taking the photo? That's the same order in which they sat for the USA game against Japan in D.C., with Brunelle inserted between Hailey and Paige.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
USA won 21-4 over Egypt this morning. They play Ukraine at 11:30 eastern. That should be a bit more interesting as Ukraine is also 3-0 so far and has been similarly dominant.

USA and Ukraine have played the same opponents. USA is plus +42 in point differential. Ukraine is +38.

Reaction Score
USA won 21-4 over Egypt this morning. They play Ukraine at 11:30 eastern. That should be a bit more interesting as Ukraine is also 3-0 so far and has been similarly dominant.

USA and Ukraine have played the same opponents. USA is plus +42 in point differential. Ukraine is +38.

where are all of the other good teams?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
who are the other favorites? France, Italy, Russia, Australia?

Not sure. The teams are seeded but I'm not sure what the methodology is. USA is seeded 18th so I'm not putting too much stock in that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
USA defeated Ukraine 21-9.

Boston is very much the key player. Her size just makes her dominant and she is quick enough that guards can't exploit it by just taking her off the dribble.

USA's plan A offensively was toss it to Boston in the post. Plan B is just for Van Lith or Bueckers to drive to the hoop, which they can pretty much always do given their quickness. Sometimes the layup attempts are a little wild but Boston is good on the boards so some errant layups function as passes anyway.

Here's the box score. The names are cut off, but they are in alpha order by last name. So - Boston, Brunelle, Bueckers, Van Lith in that order top to bottom:

1539359754170.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Pretty routine apparently

1539360367885.png

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Pretty routine apparently

Yep. They were just overmatched and basically had no way of scoring.

They shot 5-29. 1-10 on 1s and 4-19 on 2s. That was their plan. Heave up 2s at every opportunity and pray they go in.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Against Egypt, Bueckers and Boston both put on a show. Bueckers had several highlight-reel plays (blocks, strips, no-look passes). Boston again displayed her passing skills, footwork, and terrific shot-blocking instincts. Van Lith and Brunelle also played well, the former a pitbull defensively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Boston put on a show against the Ukraine as well. They are so fun to watch and play off each other spectacularly.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"She’s made a huge impact,” said Samantha Brunelle (William Monroe H.S./Ruckersville, Va.) of Boston, who led the USA’s scoring with 16 points over Friday’s two contests. “It’s always nice to have her. She’s a threat everywhere. You look at her and her size, and you don’t think she’s as quick as smaller post players, but Aliyah’s so quick. She can move her feet on defense. She can post up and get any shot she wants in the post. It’s great to have her in there, especially for rebounding.”

USA Women Advance to Youth Olympics Medal Quarterfinals Undefeated

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've been advocating that Boston is a "must get" for some time now. Suffice it to say that a commit from Boston, and UConn is set at the post for the next four years (this includes the presence of ONO). All I know about her is what I read here and on other Internet media sites, and it's very impressive! Until her reveal, I'm drinking "Boston iced teas”. :)

Everything I read about her is positive. All of the comments about her during these games suggests she's dominating the competition, and doing it fairly easy. She'd look awfully good in a nice new crisp UConn uniform, just like CW & ONO will look in theirs tonight. ;) Continued good luck and health to our girls.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In case anyone forgot or didn't know:

"The USA women have competed in both prior editions of the Summer Youth Olympic Games and own a 19-1 record overall, and have captured gold at in 2014 and bronze in 2010. Briyona Canty, Andraya Carter, Amber Henson and Kiah Stokes teamed up on the 2010 squad, while the 2014 USA team was comprised of De’Janae Boykin, Napheesa Collier, Arike Ogunbowale and Katie Lou Samuelson."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I got to watch the 2 games today. I agree that Boston is the key. Teams couldn't get a good shot inside the arc. She's a shot blocker, rebounder, passer, and scorer.

Bueckers is smooth and versatile.

Brunelle has size and versatility, though does look awkward at times.

Van Lith is Badass. I want to see her and Kia Nurse defend each other. I hope we get to see Hailey Van Lith in Storrs for 4 full seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom