Youth Olympics 3x3 - (Boston, Bueckers, Brunelle, Van Lith) | The Boneyard

Youth Olympics 3x3 - (Boston, Bueckers, Brunelle, Van Lith)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Youth Olympics got underway yesterday and today the 3x3 tournament began.

The American team won both of its games Monday, 21-9 over Venezuela and 21-8 over Sri Lanka.

Against Venezuela, Aliyah Boston hit all 7 of her shots and added 6 rebounds while Hailey Van Lith was 4/5 from the floor and hit both of her free throws. Paige Bueckers handed out 5 assists and Sam Brunelle went 5/7 from the field.

Boxscore:

Buenos Aires 2018

Versus Sri Lanka, Boston hit all 6 of her shots, and added 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 steals. Van Lith played sparingly, hitting her only shot and adding 4 assists. Bueckers was 4/6 from the floor and had 2 assists. Brunelle hit all 7 of her shots.

Box:

Buenos Aires 2018

The Americans don't play again until Friday.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Youth Olympics got underway yesterday and today the 3x3 tournament began.

The American team won both of its games Monday, 21-9 over Venezuela and 21-8 over Sri Lanka.

Against Venezuela, Aliyah Boston hit all 7 of her shots and added 6 rebounds while Hailey Van Lith was 4/5 from the floor and hit both of her free throws. Paige Bueckers handed out 5 assists and Sam Brunelle went 5/7 from the field.

Boxscore:

Buenos Aires 2018

Versus Sri Lanka, Boston hit all 6 of her shots, and added 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 steals. Van Lith played sparingly, hitting her only shot and adding 4 assists. Bueckers was 4/6 from the floor and had 2 assists. Brunelle hit all 7 of her shots.

Box:

Buenos Aires 2018

The Americans don't play again until Friday.

Against Sri Lanka, the Americans shot 18-20 from the floor. Someone who saw the game said Americans were picking off Sri Lankan passes and whipping the ball back to folks under the basket, which may explain this rather improbable shooting percentage. Sam also went 2-2 from 3 in this game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston’s numbers aren’t all that impressive when you look at the heights of who she’s going up against... But still good to see her making all her shots. Sam Brunelle also hasn’t missed a 2 pointer and is I think 3/5 from 3 which are awesome numbers

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hate to use old material, but:

When it is 5 x 5 and 4 quarters or 2 halves, call me.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
When it is 5 x 5 and 4 quarters or 2 halves, call me.

3x3 is an excellent way to gauge a player's instincts, reaction times, calmness under pressure, stamina, and, yes, even skill level. Considering the way Geno likes his teams to play, it's even more relevant.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Watching the game against Venezuela:

Bueckers' improvisation skills are outstanding, no surprise to those who have watched her before. Geno has said in recent years, essentially, that he wants more snarl and fiestiness. Bueckers brings those qualities in abundance. Hilarious watching her hand the ball over to the other team at the top of the key and almost immediately trying to knock it free for a steal.

Van Lith's mid-range game is lethal, and she loves contact. She's going to be a scoring machine.

Height advantages aside, Boston's game is so cerebral. Her smarts and timing on blocks is about as good as you'll see at her age. Outstanding passer for her size. Definitely some Dolson attributes to her, but Boston's more athletic.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Height advantages aside, Boston's game is so cerebral. Her smarts and timing on blocks is about as good as you'll see at her age. Outstanding passer for her size. Definitely some Dolson attributes to her, but Boston's more athletic.

I was able to watch just a bit of the Sri Lanka game and this is what stood out to me. She closed out very quickly on some shots, certainly much quicker than the shooters expected. And yes, excellent passing for a true post player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
3x3 is an excellent way to gauge a player's instincts, reaction times, calmness under pressure, stamina, and, yes, even skill level. Considering the way Geno likes his teams to play, it's even more relevant.

I do understand that theory and there is a lot to be said for it. More information rather than less is always good, but in college they play 5 x 5 last time I checked. this is a fun thing to watch, but it's essential Y lunchtime ball or street ball. 3 x 3 makes for great summer time festivals, but has little to do with positional play in a 5 person game. Yes, we are evolving to positionless play, but in a 5 person game. Wanna make crucial decisions on an athlete for recruiting purposes, make those decisions in the context of the game you are going to ask them to play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is the time frame for this normal? College student athletes routinely miss classes for sporting competition, but HS athletes not so much. Maybe you miss half a day of classes for a road game, but being out of the country for a while during the school year? Just seems weird to me.

I don't follow every event, but between various AAU stuff, U17 trials this summer, 3X3 tournaments, wow these kids travel a lot these days. Are they ever home?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I do understand that theory and there is a lot to be said for it. More information rather than less is always good, but in college they play 5 x 5 last time I checked. this is a fun thing to watch, but it's essential Y lunchtime ball or street ball. 3 x 3 makes for great summer time festivals, but has little to do with positional play in a 5 person game.

Sure it's street ball--played on a street even. I'd suggest the super-fast decision-making, constant movement, and playing while fatigued all resemble UConn practice and game conditions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sure it's street ball--played on a street even. I'd suggest the super-fast decision-making, constant movement, and playing while fatigued all resemble UConn practice and game conditions.

Facile, but wrong. Super-fast? With how many options? Fatigued? There is no time to blow, but this is less than half court stuff. But I can tell we are both dug in, so I declare you the winner.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Facile, but wrong. Super-fast? With how many options? Fatigued? There is no time to blow, but this is less than half court stuff. But I can tell we are both dug in, so I declare you the winner.

Fewer options but less than half the time to decide.

There's a disjointed, improvisational aspect to a 12-second shot clock. UConn wants quick minds that can "read-and-react" and I think players can show off those abilities in the 3x3 format. Obviously, it's not perfect simulation for 5-on-5 play, but I get as much out of watching it as I do a high school game with a good prospect against overmatched opponents.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is the time frame for this normal? College student athletes routinely miss classes for sporting competition, but HS athletes not so much. Maybe you miss half a day of classes for a road game, but being out of the country for a while during the school year? Just seems weird to me.

I don't follow every event, but between various AAU stuff, U17 trials this summer, 3X3 tournaments, wow these kids travel a lot these days. Are they ever home?

I was wondering the same thing. :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is the time frame for this normal?

The Youth Olympic Games are fairly new. The first two (Singapore in 2010 and Nanjing, China in 2014) were held in mid-August. Average August temperatures in Buenos Aires are a high of 62 and a low of 49. Not bad considering it's their winter but maybe a bit chilly for the "Summer" games.

I'm guessing October was chosen as the compromise point between southern hemisphere climate and not wanting to have the Summer games take place in northern hemisphere winter either.

Reaction Score

These kids are barely students at this point, just like in college. We should just admit what is plainly obvious. These are kids being groomed specifically for basketball careers. Who cares if they miss a few basketweaving 101 or pre-calc classes?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't remember any 3x3 competition being quite so spaced out - the finals on the 17th with the first pool game on the 7th - kids are missing 2 full weeks when taking into account travel time.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They're missing a couple of weeks of class for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's the internet age. They can get their assignments by email and still keep mostly up-to-date while they are there.

"Barely students" is way over the top, in my opinion.

Sure, they travel a lot in the summer. Other than this tournament, I have not seen how they are any different from any other high-school athlete during the year. Besides maybe missing a Friday or two to take official visits.

Funnily enough, Brunelle's mother is also the principal of her high school. So I doubt she's being allowed to just ignore her studies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
These kids are barely students at this point, just like in college. We should just admit what is plainly obvious. These are kids being groomed specifically for basketball careers. Who cares if they miss a few basketweaving 101 or pre-calc classes?
Not really true at the HS level especially for the women.

Reaction Score
They're missing a couple of weeks of class for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's the internet age. They can get their assignments by email and still keep mostly up-to-date while they are there.

"Barely students" is way over the top, in my opinion.

Sure, they travel a lot in the summer. Other than this tournament, I have not seen how they are any different from any other high-school athlete during the year. Besides maybe missing a Friday or two to take official visits.

Funnily enough, Brunelle's mother is also the principal of her high school. So I doubt she's being allowed to just ignore her studies.
A lot of them are doing what CFB HS players have done where they will jump from school to school, even in other states (in football it's almost always some "academy"), purely for athletic reasons. I haven't seen too many kids that were good at math transferring to a school 100 miles away for the better math education.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Article on Hailey Van Lith playing for the US. Among her favorite basketball players are Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, and Maya Moore. Hmmm.

Van Lith feels 3x3 is a perfect fit for her athletic abilities. Even though she’s a point guard, she feels defense is the strength of her game and her quickness is her most valuable asset.

“I just like how fast-paced (3x3) is,” she said. “And chaotic at times. Things are always happening, and it’s action-packed. The rules are a lot different, totally different than five-on-five, and the ball is a different size, the 3-point line is farther, it’s continuous play. It’s fast and intense, and you have to be in great shape, but I love to play that way.”

Hailey Van Lith Leads USA Basketball Gold Medal Hunt at Youth Olympic Games

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
... Among her favorite basketball players are Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, and Maya Moore. Hmmm.

More Hmmmm. She lists Indiana Fever rookie Kelsey Mitchell as well. How do you reconcile that? :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom