Youth and growing pains for Huskies (J. Silver) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Youth and growing pains for Huskies (J. Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whaler had it, he needs to keep the players. He pretty much offered the 4th and 5th year guys a public apology. If this gets turned around under him those guys need to be celebrated big time. Home some fans come for senior day.

Reaction Score
Whaler had it, he needs to keep the players. He pretty much offered the 4th and 5th year guys a public apology. If this gets turned around under him those guys need to be celebrated big time. Home some fans come for senior day.

I'll be there for practice against SMU in December. LOL. I'm always there.

He's a strange cat, this coach, and there is no underestimating the difficulty and breadth of what it takes to turn around the social/psychological/emotional and mental condition this program was in, and he's done a phenomenal job with that. No doubt.

But when you line up on Saturdays, or weeknights on ESPN for the AAC game of the week, you got to get good base of support, get your ass down, your head up, your knees bent, a flat back, and then keep your head head up, and get leverage, and go knock the guy across from you that you're supposed to hit - knock him down.

I'm not so sure, that he's not overthinking this whole rebuild. We need to develop 22 players, quick, that can be relied upon to do that, we need 105 of them for the future, not now.

Reaction Score
There was a comment from Des's article that for some reason can't be pulled up, but it struck me as fanscinating and alarming, it went something like:

"When we walked into the meeting room on Monday, you could see their faces and you knew they were expecting to get yelled and screamed at for the performance....."

If someone can open the article and copy and paste the quote I think it is telling at the task Diaco has at changing the culture for the UConn program

>>"If you're trying hard and your receptors are open to coaching and you're getting better to a man, what do I have to be upset about, honestly?" Diaco said during his weekly press conference this one previewing Temple (2-1, 0-0), which comes to Rentschler Field Saturday (4 p.m., ESPNews).

Diaco said in a team meeting in Storrs that he sensed the players weren't sure if the coach would unload on them after the loss.

"I am looking back at them and it's just a real moment, a visceral moment, like why are you guys looking at me like that?" Diaco said. "What do you think I'm going to do and say right now? We're not about de-humanizing. We're not about disrespect. We're all about correcting the mistakes, having an intense, detailed environment — but we're all about love and respect."<<

Reaction Score
>>"If you're trying hard and your receptors are open to coaching and you're getting better to a man, what do I have to be upset about, honestly?" Diaco said during his weekly press conference this one previewing Temple (2-1, 0-0), which comes to Rentschler Field Saturday (4 p.m., ESPNews).

Diaco said in a team meeting in Storrs that he sensed the players weren't sure if the coach would unload on them after the loss.

"I am looking back at them and it's just a real moment, a visceral moment, like why are you guys looking at me like that?" Diaco said. "What do you think I'm going to do and say right now? We're not about de-humanizing. We're not about disrespect. We're all about correcting the mistakes, having an intense, detailed environment — but we're all about love and respect."<<

The best way to make sure that a player like Junior Joseph, for example, and every other player on the roster, to show them that he's got love and respect, is to make sure that they are drilling their young minds into to make it pure reflex, to keep his head up when he's going to make a tackle. I have seen more players at all levels, knock themselves out of games, and eventually out of football altogether by doing that, than anything else in football. Joseph isn't the only young player that needs that kind of love and respect - we've got a lot of players, that need that kind of love and respect on both sides of the ball.

With that, I am officially moving on to Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom