Your Thoughts on Gabby's Performances? | The Boneyard

Your Thoughts on Gabby's Performances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gabby is my favorite UConn player. I do not even have a second favorite. I love her motor, her talent, her smile, her interviews, etc.

Last season against the top teams Gabby shined on offense and defense all over the court. Gabby emptied her tank giving everything she had in every game. Especially in the Final Four loss, when Kia and Pheesa did not play their best.

UConn's team chemistry has changed from last season, with the eligibility of 6'6" Azura and Crystal navigating the battleship. Before the season started, I thought that Gabby had no chance at All American honors this season. Purely from a numbers viewpoint.

Crystal is "stealing" assists that Gabby might have had. Azura is "stealing" rebounds and points that Gabby might have had. (I have headache and cannot think of a better word.) Basketball is in Gabby's hands less than last season.

Last night, Gabby was the only 1 of the top 6 Huskies to not play in the 4th quarter. Was she having migraine issues? Was Geno "benching" her for passing the ball to the bench in the 3rd quarter? (Kia had camped out in the corners for open 3s and Gabby might have assumed Kia would be there.)

Gabby almost had a triple double but did not get a chance to accomplish it, since Geno did not play her in the 4th. If not mistaken, Gabby "lost" 2 assists in the first half when Pheesa missed layups. I think Gabby "lost" another assist when a teammate did not convert when fouled.

Yes, it has been documented that Gabby has been dealing with migraines. To me, Gabby has not been happy during several games this young season, even when playing well.

Is it "possible" that senior Gabby has accepted her reduced role on this UConn team, when compared to last season, but "might not" be happy about it? Geno has mentioned something about Gabby's troubles between her ears. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I hope we get to see Gabby, KLS, Azura, Pheesa, Kia, and Crystal all healthy in March and April, playing with perfect chemistry. UConn basketball clinic would be amazing to see in the final 6 games of the season. And it would be great for WCBB, media, and fans to see.

Reaction Score
Gabby doesn't need to play as much any more. We have Z. And a much improved Crystal. All of last year's starters are going to have to accept a reduced role this year. That's simply what happens when you have more than five capable players on your team.

Reaction Score
Gabby is my favorite UConn player. I do not even have a second favorite. I love her motor, her talent, her smile, her interviews, etc.

Yes, it has been documented that Gabby has been dealing with migraines. To me, Gabby has not been happy during several games this young season, even when playing well.

Is it "possible" that senior Gabby has accepted her reduced role on this UConn team, when compared to last season, but "might not" be happy about it? Geno has mentioned something about Gabby's troubles between her ears. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I hope we get to see Gabby, KLS, Azura, Pheesa, Kia, and Crystal all healthy in March and April, playing with perfect chemistry. UConn basketball clinic would be amazing to see in the final 6 games of the season. And it would be great for WCBB, media, and fans to see.

"Happy?" How can you "tell" that?

"Reduced role" -- what do you mean? It sounds like you are implying that you think Gabby would be selfish. And I'm still unclear what you mean by "reduced role."

But to answer your question - I think Gabby "is happy" and will be fine. She is not perfect (ie she is going to have some bad games and miss shots and make some turnovers. She's human.). And secondly the other teams have scholarship player's too. Right now the team is working to further mesh - give it some time. Her perimeter shot is off as well as her passing. They will get better.

Reaction Score
It's still early. Give it some time. So far the entire team has not had much of a rhythm. KLS is the 1st, 2nd option. NaPheesa until about a game ago was not playing as her usual self. KLS has been in and out of the line up. AS has been in and out of the starting line up. They all are playing evolving roles that have not been set for the year.
She is still suffering from migraines and is very touch about it. So give it a minute or two.

Reaction Score
Gabby is still the great Gabby and I have confidence on her.
The only thing I wish is if she can reduce the TO number. Because her speed is so fast she may make more TOs than other UConn players. I hope she can slow down in some cases.

Reaction Score

"Reduced role" -- what do you mean? It sounds like you are implying that you think Gabby would be selfish. And I'm still unclear what you mean by "reduced role."

But to answer your question - I think Gabby "is happy" and will be fine. She is not perfect (ie she is going to have some bad games and miss shots and make some turnovers. She's human.). And secondly the other teams have scholarship player's too. Right now the team is working to further mesh - give it some time. Her perimeter shot is off as well as her passing. They will get better.

and exactly how can you tell that I am implying anything?!?!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Announcers sometimes say that Gabby has confidence issues. If this is the case, her tendency to errant passes may feed on itself, and her unconfident demeanor could be what you perceive as unhappiness.

I can only see two things potentially preventing her from being a lottery pick: injury and misguided coaches/GMs making the selections.

Reaction Score

Are you also unclear by what HoopsFan21 meant with the statement "All of last year's starters are going to have to accept a reduced role this year."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

She looked miserable on the bench against ND, but I suspect the migraine and watching the team struggle against ND without her were the major reasons why.

Gabby has shown herself to be a fierce competitor at UConn but I've never seen her to play or act with a selfish attitude. I would be surprised if she starts now.

Reaction Score
My original posted started with "Gabby is my favorite UConn player. I do not even have a second favorite. I love her motor, her talent, her smile, her interviews, etc."

No one wants to see Gabby excel more than I do. I am a huge fan of athletes 5'11" and under, who excel in the post in WCBB or excel as an outside hitter in WCVB. It shows no fear.

I never claimed to know if Gabby was or was not happy. I did not provide a medical diagnosis like some others did in threads about KLS injury and Gabby migraines.

I know in other threads this season that someone else mentioned that Gabby did not look happy. I am not alone with that interpretation and opinion.

Edit : I also did not use the word selfish in my original post. What does happy or unhappy have to do with being selfish?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My original posted started with "Gabby is my favorite UConn player. I do not even have a second favorite. I love her motor, her talent, her smile, her interviews, etc."

No one wants to see Gabby excel more than I do. I am a huge fan of athletes 5'11" and under, who excel in the post in WCBB or excel as an outside hitter in WCVB. It shows no fear.

I never claimed to know if Gabby was or was not happy. I did not provide a medical diagnosis like some others did in threads about KLS injury and Gabby migraines.

I know in other threads this season that someone else mentioned that Gabby did not look happy. I am not alone with that interpretation and opinion.

Edit : I also did not use the word selfish in my original post. What does happy or unhappy have to do with being selfish?
Pouting on the bench is a selfish act. Putting personal goals above team success is a selfish act. I don't see that Gabby's make up.

Reaction Score
Pouting on the bench is a selfish act. Putting personal goals above team success is a selfish act. I don't see that Gabby's make up.

Geno let Kia have it last season, or the season before, for crying on the bench after a performance to forget. Have not seen Kia or anyone else do that since.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Announcers sometimes say that Gabby has confidence issues. If this is the case, her tendency to errant passes may feed on itself, and her unconfident demeanor could be what you perceive as unhappiness. I can only see two things potentially preventing her from being a lottery pick: injury and misguided coaches/GMs making the selections.

Gabby, herself, has spoke to the issue of lacking confidence and putting pressure on herself to perform at a very high level. It seems odd that a supremely talented person could have such confidence issues. But it happens. During the Depaul game many of her turnovers appeared to be telegraphed or an almost nonchalant effort. This may be the migraine headaches. I can think of one more thing potentially preventing her from being a lottery pick - Gabby, herself. If she has confidence issues in such a supportive "family" how will she handle such issues on her own or at least in a less supportive environment? Makes one wonder if the migraine issues are self-generated due to self-imposed pressure to perform and self-doubts about whether she can. Is this what Geno means when he says her problems are between her ears? OK! Getting Freudian. What ever is/are the problem(s), I hope they are worked out.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I also cast my vote for Gabby as my favorite. Yes, I too am frustrated by the TO's. The thing is Gabby is pretty consistent throughout the game with rebounds and assists, but with so many strong teammates, sometimes games have a "taking turns" quality. Witness her 3rd quarter explosion last night.
Also if Gabby were a bit closer to a triple double in the assists-dimension, Geno would have played her in the 4th.

Reaction Score
If you saw Gabby's interview on Thursday, I didn't think she looked good. I am thinking the migraines are more of an issue than we are being told. Nobody plays harder than Gabby or is much fun to watch. She will be fine ( I hope she will figure out this migraine problem )when games come you can bet Gabby will show up and delight us all. I got a big laugh from that pass to the bench.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about her migraines, attitude or confidence but I know that if she doesn't get a handle on the turnovers (more than twice as many as anyone else on the team) she might be seeing fewer and fewer minutes. Stevens is going to eat more and more of her minutes.

She also led the team in turnovers last year but at a lower rate. Last year her A/TO was nearly 2:1. This year it's around 0.9:1.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gabby does not have a "reduced role" but her role has changed a bit. And so has Pheesa's. They are both adjusting and doing just fine. Gabby had a double/ double last night as did Pheesa. Nothing to worry about. The offense is still evolving. Last night's spacing on offense was much better allowing for a team record in assists for one game.

Reaction Score
Well, she doesn't look herself to me. We're used to seeing her playing so very loosely, just reacting to situations without a whole lot of thought, as the best athletes do. Last night , especially in the first half, she would get the ball in the high post and look to pass most all the time. And she made quick, accurate touch passes, not getting as many assists as she should have because of players missing layups. I think she's easily the best passer on the team, because she anticipates so well and has great peripheral vision. When she pretty much had open lanes to the basket, she didn't show off one of her great moves to the basket. So many times when she had wide open shots, she did not take them. She just looked programmed to pass the ball, and I don't like seeing her playing that way. That's not her game. She did show one of her classic slashes to the basket in the 2nd half, ripped down some rebounds as only Gabby can, and showed off a full court pass to KLS. That's the Gabby I think everybody has enjoyed watching. Maybe she's just not feeling well, maybe the coaches are making her think a bit too much. When was the last time we saw Gabby laughing and fooling around on the bench?

Reaction Score
Gabby has not been the same this year. She is turning the ball over at an alarming rate. I attribute this to a lack of focus. The fire is not there except in rare spurts. It is too bad. Pheesa is also not playing to the same level as last year ,strange. She is missing chippies in every game and missing shots and passes that were automatic last year. I guess it will be the mystery of the season.. Without z the record would have been quite different.

Reaction Score

Last season against the top teams Gabby shined on offense and defense all over the court. Gabby emptied her tank giving everything she had in every game. Especially in the Final Four loss, when Kia and Pheesa did not play their best.

UConn's team chemistry has changed from last season, with the eligibility of 6'6" Azura and Crystal navigating the battleship. Before the season started, I thought that Gabby had no chance at All American honors this season. Purely from a numbers viewpoint.

Crystal is "stealing" assists that Gabby might have had. Azura is "stealing" rebounds and points that Gabby might have had. (I have headache and cannot think of a better word.) Basketball is in Gabby's hands less than last season.

Last night, Gabby was the only 1 of the top 6 Huskies to not play in the 4th quarter. Was she having migraine issues? Was Geno "benching" her for passing the ball to the bench in the 3rd quarter? (Kia had camped out in the corners for open 3s and Gabby might have assumed Kia would be there.)

Gabby almost had a triple double but did not get a chance to accomplish it, since Geno did not play her in the 4th. If not mistaken, Gabby "lost" 2 assists in the first half when Pheesa missed layups. I think Gabby "lost" another assist when a teammate did not convert when fouled.

I

I could Nit pick or miss use your own words saying: So, you are NOT a Uconn Fan, just a Gabby fan! But any Gabby fan has to be a Uconn fan. A few comments on YOUR comments:
Your comment on Gabby--not getting a triple double--happens in other games to other players.
If Gabby came to Uconn to be a single Star or to be an AA, she picked the wrong school --one that relies on TEAM play and not singular accolades. It's not the Geno way. Not that as one's Senior comes to an End that Geno won't help his player(s) to get certain records.
Fans or Gabby can't (and I doubt she does) focus on any of them getting the AA. If it comes it will come, if not--the Grad will be highly recruited by WNBA/Europe and their future is secure.

The Uconn Medical team including UConn Hospi tal/Medical Center if needed will work with Gabby to stop or minimize those headaches--many on here, including me, have commented on their experiences--most of us didn't have the medical resources Gabby has available to her. If there is a fix, she'll have it-if not she will live with it as some of us had to do.

Reaction Score
Both Collier and Williams were worn down last year by playing long minutes primarily in the paint. Last night they played 23 & 25 minutes. While it would be nice to have seen Gabby have a triple double it makes no sense given where we are in the season and the availability of Stevens and now Walker.
Nurse Samuelson and Dangerfield all played 30+ minutes, mostly because other backcourt players haven't shown enough to play significant minutes. Hopefully that will change and they can also save themselves for March and April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom