Your Favorite GDL Moment? | The Boneyard

Your Favorite GDL Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its gotta be the trick play with Whitmer moved out to the wide receiver position where he got his head taken off. I believe this was either the cause of the concussion, or Whitmer had just come off the concussion.

C

Chief00

When zone blocking works to perfection - like a finely tuned orchestra - that would be a potential moment in the future now
Or 2012 Wildcat tendencies - 39 runs/2 passes - nothing like keeping the defense off balance.

Reaction Score
When zone blocking works to perfect - like a finely tuned orchestra - that would be a potential moment in the future now
Or 2012 Wildcat tendencies - 39 runs/2 passes - nothing like keeping the defense off balance.

That stat is awesome 39 runs/2 passes.

I personally like the 20 sacks in 4 games this year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Other than today, the day that Twitter exploded with news that he was leaving for the Giants.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember Addazio raving about GDL leading up to the Temple game last season. I'm withholding my favorite GDL moment for when Daz shows he was sincere about what he was saying and hires GDL to run BC's offense.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Setting the record for ending 16 consecutive sentences with the word, "okay?" ;)

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Today !!!

The only correct answer.

Although I did like that time he ordered twelve rolls of X's and O's wallpaper depicting an offensive line of X's blocking no O's and a smaller X running up the middle into a gang tackle of O's for a three yard loss to decorate the coaches offices with at Burton.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain up the middle no gain

Great new avatar alliance!

Reaction Score
Not a favorite moment but one that made me realize we were in big trouble. In their first year here we were recruiting the tight end from Manchester who wound up going to Maryland. Video on the late night sports wrapup that showed GDL running/hobbling along side the Manchester coach. The difference in age, GDL's demeanor just looked awful. The Manchester coach looked like he just wanted to get away from that guy.

Reaction Score
Remember this one?

GDL: "When there's a cover-2 and there's five underneath defenders waiting for you to throw the ball quick, what do you do now?

I'm surprised he didn't say to the reporter, "No really - what would you do?"

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Remember this one?

GDL: "When there's a cover-2 and there's five underneath defenders waiting for you to throw the ball quick, what do you do now?

I'm surprised he didn't say to the reporter, "No really - what would you do?"

I remember that one. With enough plays in his playbook to wallpaper an entire room shouldn't there be at least one that can work against a cover two when there are five underneath defenders?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still remember the moment that turned me for good. We're playing NC State and I'm looking at that those two huge tackles on their D line from the back. I remember saying to myself, "What are we gonna do with those two guys?" Finally, we get a bit of a drive going in the 2nd half. Whitmer gets a first down, then makes a nice throw for 2nd and 1 around the 50. Next play, run up the middle, stuffed. Next play, run up the middle, stuffed. Punt. Game over.

Reaction Score
Back to peddling this nonsense on the Internet, where it belongs.

zoneblocking.jpg

And no, this isn't a photoshop: Amazon.com

Reaction Score
I used to wonder if the grad assistants were under strict orders to make sure GDL was awake to call in plays from his skybox during the 2012 season and hoped they would just let him sleep. Then they brought him to the sideline for the 2013 season and I thought...can't we just pay him to stay home. So you ask what my favorite GDL moment is...that he won't be in the skybox or on the sidelines at UConn any longer. I'm not vindictive, just realistic about what needed to be done.

Reaction Score
12 men on the field in the red zone.

12 men on the field after a lengthy TV timeout.

12 men on the field after a time out that Coach P called.

12 men on the field on 3rd and 16, oops now it's 3rd and 21

Reaction Score
Paraphrasing "My philosophy for winning is great defense"

also the first day of practice this year "today we begin a process that pays off in December"

Beyond that the brilliant 3rd down pass play vs Vanderbilt after our defense gave us the lead and was dominating. I'm sure if he were on the field Don Brown would have attacked him the way Buddy Ryan attacked his buddy Gilbride.

How about using the Whitmer trick play vs UMASS when the game was already won, so he could use it vs Cincy and get Whitmer clobbered...actually Whitmer almost got clobbered when he did it vs UMASS.

Failing to take a knee twice vs USF when the game was over, that was genius, and he did it again last year.

Hardly utilizing Nick Williams in 2011 and only using him slightly more last year and now Nick is in the NFL.

What a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69