OT: - Your favorite Christmas movies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite Christmas movies

Reaction Score
Ugh. I have such a problem with this one.

The guy creeps out on his best friends wife at their wedding with creepo videos of her. Then tries to get her to cheat on their front steps on Christmas.
Thats not all..

Reaction Score
IMG_2657.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ummm….because John McClain is in Die Hard?
And Lethal Weapon had Riggs.

When he was 19 he took out a guy in Laos. About 2,000 yards, in high winds. About eight, maybe ten guys could have made that shot.

If a cop movie that takes place in and around Christmas qualifies as a Christmas movie, fine. I just never got why so many who push Die Hard ignore Lethal Weapon. If anything there was a little more Christmas in Lethal Weapon.

Reaction Score
The one movie I have to watch every Christmas is the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" with Alastair Sim. I'll never grow tired of Sim's goofy joyousness after the ghosts visit. Beautifully acted with what I have to assume is an abundance of ad libs. Scrooge has been portrayed on film dozens of times, but nobody nailed it like Sim.

I am in total agreement with you on this. Alastair was the best for Scrooge. His transformation was felt and I loved the part with the chambermaid when he was dancing around saying he shouldn't feel this happy. And the dance scene at this nephew's party. Truly one of the greatest Christmas movies.

Others that I have to watch are:
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Rudolf

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Four Christmases
It's not highly rated or a classic but there are quite a few very funny scenes. It's great if you are a big fan of Vaughn or Witherspoon
The opening scene is hilarious to me and even mentions Connecticut.

Reaction Score
1. Classical
You can’t beat Charles Dickens as a writer.,
and I agree the older versions
1939 and 1951 do a better job of bringing you back to Victorian England.
2. It’s a Wonderful Life’s message is great despite shoddy banking practices
Was Jimmy Stewart ever in a bad movie ? He had a special quality that no modern actor ever really dublicated.
Modern
A Christmas story ( I had a Daisy Red Rider) is my favorite and Darren McGavin is excellent as the Dad . The Leg Lamp seems to be a must have for every outdoor lighting display . A testament to that movie as official classic Americana
I never thought of Planes Trains , and Automobiles as a Christmas movie as its just a great movie . Candy is brilliant as his well intentioned,innocent disaster . and Steve Martin is incredible as his straight man foil.. Just an under appreciated movie and acting .
Love Diehard and have been a Bruce. Willis fan since his TV days but it’s not a Christmas movie

Reaction Score
Serious question for those who believe Diehard qualifies as a Christmas movie: Why doesn't the same logic apply to the first Lethal Weapon movie?
People who think Die Hard is a Christmas movie are the same folks that think hot dogs are a sandwich. I’m convinced it’s just a way to be contrarian.

Reaction Score
A Christmas Story is #1 in my family.
It's a Wonderful Life is a close #2
We also love Elf, the first 2 Home Alone movies, first 2 Santa Clause movies, Miracle on 34th St., Scrooged, Vacation, and The Man Who Invented Christmas.
Also, a personal favorite of mine now is Arthur Christmas. It's from the studio that does the Wallace & Gromit movies and is really entertaining for all ages, with some quirky humor.
I almost forgot my family loves The Family Man as Trapped in Paradise is good, once you get by the first 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
Also, A Christmas Story Christmas isn't bad. It just feels like a movie about grieving and moving on more than it is really about Christmas.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bad Santa
OK, the fuller list now, with only one unmentioned elsewhere, otherwise in no particular order:

The Muppet Christmas Carol, which I just introduced to my favorite toddler
A Christmas Carol (Alistar Sim)
A Christmas Story
Home Alone (probably 2 also)
National Lampoon Xmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life

I have not memorably seen Elf, Scrooged, or Love Actually, if at all, but I have friends who have recommended all three.

Saw Polar Express for the first time a couple days ago, and wouldn't add it to the list, but no strong criticism of it.

Saw Bad Moms Christmas with what functioned as my COVID pod in 2020, and while I wouldn't recommend it, we definitely had fun that night, given the curated guest list.

Somehow, White Christmas and Die Hard have never made it into rotation. Probably means they're due for a fresh look, or Die Hard never registered as a Christmas Movie.

And finally, the OG for me...
Miracle on 34th Street. (The original one, not the Richard Attenborough abomination.) It is, by far, the best Christmas movie.
santa claus beard GIF

I'll close by circling back to mention that I claim "Bad Santa" as my favorite Coen Brothers movie (as uncommon a choice as some of the "my favorite UConn player ever" choices I've seen here), even though it is accurately the third of three consecutive fine movies directed by Terry Zwigoff between 1994 & 2003: Crumb, Ghost World, and Bad Santa.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also, a personal favorite of mine now is Arthur Christmas. It's from the studio that does the Wallace & Gromit movies and is really entertaining for all ages, with some quirky humor.
Never heard of before this, and strikes me as a potential contender. I'll watch. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Home Alone
Home Alone 2
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Jingle All The Way
Deck The Halls
Lethal Weapon
Elf
Bad Santa
The Night They Saved Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
This Christmas
The Best Man Holiday
Reindeer Games
Die Hard 2
A Miracle on 34th Street
The Perfect Holiday

Reaction Score
No love for Hallmark movies?

Try:
A Christmas to Remember
A Crown for Christmas
Christmas in Conway
A Season for Miracles
Fallen Angels

I have a Hallmark drinking game that is a wonderful way to watch- when certain situations appear in a movie, the viewer has to take a drink

Reaction Score
Hallmark Viewer Enhancement Game- take a drink when:

There is a Snowball fight
The lead male & female fall on ground together in awkward embraces
Boyfriend or girlfriend shows up unexpectedly on the scene
Main character has to leave before town’s big event, or choose between love or career
Someone is stranded making travel difficult- car problems, road or airport closed, snowed in
Overheard conversation is misunderstood & causes problems
Some secret is a big part of plot (such as a fake engagement)
Plot has an older man that looks just like Santa (+1 if his name is Kris or Nick)
The “almost kiss”- aka kissus interruptus
Plans to meet include words “it’s a date” followed by stating “ well, not a date really”
And finally, It snows on Christmas Day/at end of movie

Reaction Score
Hallmark Viewer Enhancement Game- take a drink when:

There is a Snowball fight
The lead male & female fall on ground together in awkward embraces
Boyfriend or girlfriend shows up unexpectedly on the scene
Main character has to leave before town’s big event, or choose between love or career
Someone is stranded making travel difficult- car problems, road or airport closed, snowed in
Overheard conversation is misunderstood & causes problems
Some secret is a big part of plot (such as a fake engagement)
Plot has an older man that looks just like Santa (+1 if his name is Kris or Nick)
The “almost kiss”- aka kissus interruptus
Plans to meet include words “it’s a date” followed by stating “ well, not a date really”
And finally, It snows on Christmas Day/at end of movie
Isn't everybody drunk by 10:00 AM the day after Thanksgiving, then?

Reaction Score
It wasn't a full length movie, but does anyone remember "A Wish for Wings That Work", a half hour Christmas special featuring the characters of Bloom County? I love the end of that special.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom