OT: - Your favorite album (or cd, or download, etc.) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your favorite album (or cd, or download, etc.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And then there is this:

True, he looks sorta like Geno trying to digest a stupid 4th foul he just saw ONO get! :p Or better, Mr. Bean conducting a German orchestra!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't have any idea of the "greatest" - but, I always liked albums that "hung together" like, for example, Al Stewart's "The Past through Tomorrow" if I have the name correct - many, many years ago.
Thanks for reminding me of that one (Past, present and future). I listened to it on youtube, great piece of work, especially Old Admirals and Road to Moscow.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I couldn't possibly pick a favorite album, in most cases even a favorite album by one artist. I can narrow down a few things:

Classical: Rostropovich and Ozawa, Dvorak Concerto and Rococo Variations; Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, Brandenburg Concerti. Also Akiko Suwanai and Arabella Steinbacher's youtube rendition of the Bach double concerto.

Jazz: Kind of Blue; Masterpieces by Ellington

21st cnetury: Ayreon, Universal Migrator; Tom Waits Orphans

Live: Gentle Giant, Playing the Fool; Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall

For the Beethoven symphonies I like the Karajan recordings of the 60's; for Dvorak, Istvan Kertesz.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I couldn't possibly pick a favorite album, in most cases even a favorite album by one artist. I can narrow down a few things:

Classical: Rostropovich and Ozawa, Dvorak Concerto and Rococo Variations; Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, Brandenburg Concerti. Also Akiko Suwanai and Arabella Steinbacher's youtube rendition of the Bach double concerto.

Jazz: Kind of Blue; Masterpieces by Ellington

21st cnetury: Ayreon, Universal Migrator; Tom Waits Orphans

Live: Gentle Giant, Playing the Fool; Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall

For the Beethoven symphonies I like the Karajan recordings of the 60's; for Dvorak, Istvan Kertesz.
I'll return the thanks. While I never developed a fandom (because I never owned an album) I haven't heard of Renaissance in probably 35 years. A college friend liked them and introduced me to the music, which I did enjoy whenever I heard it.

Let me be honest, however - I have never heard of your 21st Century offerings.

I do like select "classical" music, primarily actually Baroque. I recently bought a complete set of Bach's organ music and haven't heard a piece I don't like yet.

Reaction Score
As stated by several people above, they can't come up with just one album/CD, I have to agree. Music is important to me so a certain album/CD at a certain time is my favorite!
No special order:
Sugarland Greatest Hits (anything by them)
Lady Antebellum Greatest Hits (anything by them)
Whitney Houston Greatest Performances (anything by her)
Willie Nelson Greatest Hits (anything by him)
Ray Charles Greatest Hits (anything by him)
Alabama Greatest Hits (anything by them)
Saturday Night Fever Bee Gees (anything by them)
Barbra Streisand Greatest Hits (anything by her)
Garth Brooks Greatest Hits (anything by him)
Rod Stewart Greatest Hits (anything by him)
Eva Cassidy Greatest Hits (anything by her)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There are better versions of this song, but Norah Jones gives a great rendition of it that all Huskies must remember. Paige and here I hate you best friend get it. See video in other thread.

Gottah walk out on the court with a Cold, Cold Heart:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wrecking Ball, by Emmy Lou Harris

When I first heard it, was not what I expected. Took a little while to warm up to it, but then I loved it. Beautiful, haunting, atmospheric.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh jeese - I neglected a big one: Kacey Musgraves, Golden Hour. It's probably my favorite album-as-an-album in the past five years. The rare Album of the Year Grammy Award winner that more than deserved the prize.

Here you go buddy. :)

Yeah, album too.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I will give a one-album answer to a slightly different question: If there is a "perfect" album, it's Kind of Blue. I've been listening to it for 45 years, and to this day I can't find a fault with it. I wouldn't change a single note. I'm not sure I can say that about another album. (I'm about a month late wishing it a happy 60th birthday).

Another thing I love about it is that it's kind of the antithesis of the modern pop album that involves months of writing, months in the studio, months of mixing, another month in the studio, more mixing, and a month of promotion before it ever comes out. From Miles (and possibly Bill Evans) sketching out the tunes to wrapping recording was only a few days according to Evans's liner notes.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Okay, last one today I promise. This will be the appearance of some of the opposing coaches this year and anon anon:

I watch/listen to this at least once a week.
When it's loud enough that my wife yells, I know I only need to turn it up a little more.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
An album so embedded in my formative years that choosing it becomes an involuntary reflex.

Still holds up and I listen from time to time, but I realized a couple of years ago that it was much better back when I got stoned. Maybe time for a trip to Mass to discover edibles.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's my favorite but I've purchased Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees" 3 times in three different formats (8-track, cassette, CD). It still sounds great.
Just ‘Boz Scaggs’ with Loan Me a Dime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom