Your "difference maker" for this year's team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your "difference maker" for this year's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Yeah, I support this, which I think DD said earlier.

I see many potential candidates, and I think even if there ends up being one clear candidate, the depth will contribute. By that, I mean that Stewart will make it tough to double Stef, so she could be the player. Tuck's presence will make it harder to key on Kaleena, so either could fill the role, partly because the other one is there. Maybe it will be Hartley, because the new and improved Banks, plus MoJe will make it tough to shut her down.

Yikes...upstaged by DD again...

Reaction Score
I don't know what others' definition of "difference maker" is, but I don't see how Buck or Banks could come close to that. Even with great improvement over last year, neither will see >10 mins in key games, IMHO. Buck could get a decent role against Baylor but doubtful much beyond that; and if Banks has turned a corner I see this setting up her more for 2013-4 when Doty & Faris are gone.

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck. She reminds me of a bigger and stronger (tough to imagine stronger!) Stacy Hansmeyer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stewart: to me, she seems to be the one most ready for college ball. She has length and is so versatile. Tuck was impressive in international play but the competition was weak and I don't see her getting those easy buckets around the basket in college, although she will be a solid contributor. Jefferson is an electrifying player with a sick handle and incredibly creative offense but something tells that she will have an adjustment period in learning to pull back a bit and work in Geno's system. But it is hard to contain the type of speed that she has. She is sort of a wildcard for me. If she can step in and play controlled ball she could absolutely tear her opponents apart.

I just love Stewart's demeanor. She reminds me of BG in the way that she just maintains the same expressions and calmness. She just seems unflappable and calm and wants to take the big shot when it is needed. I think that by the end of the season she will be THE go-to player when a big shot is needed. She scares the bigibbers out of me.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I just love Stewart's demeanor. She reminds me of BG in the way that she just maintains the same expressions and calmness. She just seems unflappable and calm and wants to take the big shot when it is needed. I think that by the end of the season she will be THE go-to player when a big shot is needed. She scares the bigibbers out of me.
You mean the BG "that punched a girl in the face" calm demeanor? If you want cool and calm demeanor regardless of the situation, we have one of those in Faris.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good thread, Winlots. As I read through the posts, I realized that almost every player on the team was mentioned except for Caroline. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say CD will be the difference maker. I think this year she will finally be as healthy and strong as she's ever going to be and as a 5th year senior, she knows this is her last hurrah. Her fiery, but steady leadership is what will take UCONN over the top this season.

A number of people have mentioned our depth as the difference maker. I don't disagree in general, but UCONN has won it all going only 7 players deep in a NC game, and with the starters all playing close to 35 minutes. In a BIG game, i'm not sure our depth will come into play as much as people might think, unless Geno needs to make adjustments during the game that work better.

I honestly don't recall, but when we had a team that legitimately was 9 or 10 deep, in a NC game, how much PT did the subs get?

Even in the NC in 2000, only Sveta, Kelly, Sue, Shea, Ashja, and Kennitra played over 20 minutes while Swin and Tamika played 18 and 14 respectively. i couldn't find the box score for 2002 to see what kind of minutes everyone got that game...
The converse is that a lack of depth has cost UConn championships before. This team is one that is less vulnerable to injuries or foul trouble than in years past. Additionally, if Geno legitimately trusts everyone, I expect that we'll see even more trapping and pressing than UConn typically does. Given that Baylor is the primary, and quite likely only, team that can match up with UConn, both of these points are critical. Having three posts he trusts will help in terms of containing Griner, and having the luxury of being able to press and trap for 40 minutes if you wanted to would make it more difficult to get the ball to Griner to begin with.

Agree that Geno has done quite well in the past playing 6-8 players in games where the outcome is in doubt, but Baylor is a unique sort of opponent where the depth could prove really critical.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You mean the BG "that punched a girl in the face" calm demeanor? If you want cool and calm demeanor regardless of the situation, we have one of those in Faris.

LOL. Yes...that's the one. Stewart's talent level is a lot closer to BG's than it is Faris's. Stewart is going to get pushed and shoved A LOT in college, like BG has. It will be interesting to see how that impacts her game.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
LOL. Yes...that's the one. Stewart's talent level is a lot closer to BG's than it is Faris's. Stewart is going to get pushed and shoved A LOT in college, like BG has. It will be interesting to see how that impacts her game.
I agree with you there. Her thin frame will be a focus for abuse form the other teams players, but in all reality they will have to catch her first. Other teams will try to play pysical with her, but her ability to face up and play away from the rim while having Dolson, Stokes, Buck and Tuck in there as well will decrease the amount of time she is anchored in the paint.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree with you there. Her thin frame will be a focus for abuse form the other teams players, but in all reality they will have to catch her first. Other teams will try to play pysical with her, but her ability to face up and play away from the rim while having Dolson, Stokes, Buck and Tuck in there as well will decrease the amount of time she is anchored in the paint.

I agree. Her versatility will be complete nightmare for opposing defenses. I'm really excited about watching her play and seeing how Geno uses her skills. I especially am excited about seeing her perform against Baylor and Duke. I have a feeling her level of play will rise as the level of competition rises. I truly will not be surprised to see her on some AA lists at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
The way I count em up, every member of the squad has gotten a mention here. This seems pretty amazing to me, yet it also seems understandable.

My last thread, which was initiated a week or two ago and basically dealt with "who do you want on the floor at crunch time," ALSO found every player on the team getting at least one mention. Am hard pressed to think of any other squad where results such as these two would have obtained. Pretty neat, and again quite a tribute to both the players and the recruiters.

Reaction Score
The converse is that a lack of depth has cost UConn championships before. This team is one that is less vulnerable to injuries or foul trouble than in years past. Additionally, if Geno legitimately trusts everyone, I expect that we'll see even more trapping and pressing than UConn typically does. Given that Baylor is the primary, and quite likely only, team that can match up with UConn, both of these points are critical. Having three posts he trusts will help in terms of containing Griner, and having the luxury of being able to press and trap for 40 minutes if you wanted to would make it more difficult to get the ball to Griner to begin with.

Agree that Geno has done quite well in the past playing 6-8 players in games where the outcome is in doubt, but Baylor is a unique sort of opponent where the depth could prove really critical.
I think you make a very good point Alex. Ever since the Baylor game in Hartford two years ago I thought the obvious way to defend Baylor is super aggressive trapping. It doesn't take that many forced turnovers to make that strategy pay off when the alternative is watching them feed BG every time. This may finally be the year Geno feels he has enough depth to do it. That, and 10 to 15 minutes of Griner's kryptonite, aka Heather Buck, may be just what we need to beat Baylor in the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom