Your 2017-2018 UConn Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your 2017-2018 UConn Huskies

Reaction Score
Problem is we're small at every position. When you have a seven footer, that goes a long way towards mitigating that.

It's worked before, though, so we'll see.

Edit: does anybody know what the wingspans of our front court players are? That tends to be more important than height.
If you have Cobb, Diarra , Larrier with CV and Adams that a pretty imposing bunch
The addition of the Cornell kid makes this possible.

C

Chief00

Cobb could have really used both summer sessions to get in shape. Polley would have benefited from two sessions in the weight room. As for Diarra playing center - the dude is 6-6. I just don't see it on anything other than an infrequent basis. True, lots of this article was in the fake news category.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Cobb could have really used both summer sessions to get in shape. Polley would have benefited from two sessions in the weight room. As for Diarra playing center - the dude is 6-6. I just don't see it on anything other than an infrequent basis. True, lots of this article was in the fake news category.

Mama plays much bigger than 6'6. 7'2 wingspan and just an absolute rebounding machine

Reaction Score
Alterique and Mamadou both Redshirt-Freshman is a good sign for stability, despite injuries. I think they're loyal team mates (knock on wood).

Cobb looks lol Lebron James in those videos.

Reaction Score
I thought he played in the exhibition games.
Only 10 minutes in the first exhibition game, but he was playing through his injury. Then he was held out of the 2nd with a swollen knee.

C

Chief00

Only 10 minutes in the first exhibition game, but he was playing through his injury. Then he was held out of the 2nd with a swollen knee.
Chief gets out and pounds the pavement. I saw him against New Haven - wasn't impressive at all - too early to tell if sore knee held him back. I always understood his recruitment was about Diallo.
I can tell you with certainty he is not a center. Maybe he can be a very undersized power forward who can give us some hustle and energy on the boards?

Reaction Score
Chief gets out and pounds the pavement. I saw him against New Haven - wasn't impressive at all - too early to tell if sore knee held him back. I always understood his recruitment was about Diallo.
I can tell you with certainty he is not a center. Maybe he can be a very undersized power forward who can give us some hustle and energy on the boards?

Chief, I think you need to join us here in 2017. Oregon just went to the final four with 6'7 Jordan Bell at center. The Warriors just won the NBA championship with 6'6 Draymond Green at center.

C

Chief00

Chief, I think you need to join us here in 2017. Oregon just went to the final four with 6'7 Jordan Bell at center. The Warriors just won the NBA championship with 6'6 Draymond Green at center.

Quite frankly, we don't drain threes like the Warriors. The times we won it all we had a 6-11 235pd Jake, 6-10 240 Emeka, 6-9 245 Alex and 6-10 235 Nolan.

Reaction Score
Cobb will be fine if he takes a page from Wes Unseld's book, and works on his defensive rebounding and the ability to see and execute the full court outlet pass. Wes said that he concentrated on defensive rebounding so he could throw the outlet instead of having to run up and down the court all night. I saw a game once where he went like 4 possessions in a row without ever getting past the foul line. Get position, grab the rebound, turn, pass to a breaking teammate for a layup. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.
Want to see Cobb get his feet in position to play solid D otherwise we would have the second coming of Enoch.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wasn't Hassan Martin 6-6?

And he was one of the best defensive players in the country as a pure big man c.

That length is nice.

Bell is another good example.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we don't drain threes like the Warriors. The times we won it all we had a 6-11 235pd Jake, 6-10 240 Emeka, 6-9 245 Alex and 6-10 235 Nolan.
Nolan are you kidding. Chief needs new glasses.
Sophomore Nolan would't see the floor next year. Freshman Nolan might be the worst center in my UConn memory.
He did learn to set a screen by his senior year.
Freshman skinny Brimah sent sophomore skinny Nolan to the pines.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

This is like one of those exam questions when they ask you to pick the one item that doesn't go together with the others. Nolan is the correct answer.

C

Chief00

This is like one of those exam questions when they ask you to pick the one item that doesn't go together with the others. Nolan is the correct answer.
I understand that in terms of talent - but as in football there is some threshold of size you need in the trenches both in height and body size. You got to have some bodies to bang against theirs and some height the opponent needs to shoot over unless you are a pure 3 ball team. I recognize that may not be true in soccer, which is a sports reference point to many in CT casual fans.

C

Chief00

Sophomore Nolan would't see the floor next year. Freshman Nolan might be the worst center in my UConn memory.
But Brimah was 7 feet and Nolan's fouls were needed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There's no question that Nolan made a valuable contribution, particularly down the stretch during the NC run in 2014, but overall for his entire career he was wildly inconsistent. He was what Vitale calls a "Dow Joneser". He was up and down, and you never knew what you were going to get from him game to game. At least Brimah was pretty consistently what he was, a shot blocking foul machine with limited offensive skills. Nolan could very occasionally look like a world beater, but only for a few moments here and there.

Reaction Score
zEA0JbD2xoSySHfs67vaFaxwj7Kk_xM1p3qXmJwle0XXM9Bd2BGEU7ARyLFFu1Cqsc3IOF_VLWA4eE4_kxvM5RJq3hhlO1Y8sp7MowbUPqsazChvR29feajuxS8m87Cf-wj7ffsSPvS-yEnvZAX5BpS2=s0-d-e1-ft

C

Chief00

There's no question that Nolan made a valuable contribution, particularly down the stretch during the NC run in 2014, but overall for his entire career he was wildly inconsistent. He was what Vitale calls a "Dow Joneser". He was up and down, and you never knew what you were going to get from him game to game. At least Brimah was pretty consistently what he was, a shot blocking foul machine with limited offensive skills. Nolan could very occasionally look like a world beater, but only for a few moments here and there.
My point is neither was 6-6.

Reaction Score
Sophomore Nolan wouldn't see the floor next year? Are you kidding me? What on earth would lead you to believe our current frontcourt is good enough to keep any of our previous frontcourt players from playing?

Reaction Score
Sophomore Nolan wouldn't see the floor next year? Are you kidding me? What on earth would lead you to believe our current frontcourt is good enough to keep any of our previous frontcourt players from playing?
Because we haven't seen them play yet. It's optimism season, prediction season usually follows than lately disappointment for a few months.

Reaction Score

Of course, the time we won it with Nolan we finished a number of games in the tourney with Daniels and Giffey combining to play the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
Are we sleeping on AA? He's experienced and practicing daily with our 3 guards will help elevate his game higher. Throw in our NBA guard coach, he may be a difference maker, especially in critical foul situations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom