Youngblood: After 54 years, UConn ready to join college hockey's elite | The Boneyard

Youngblood: After 54 years, UConn ready to join college hockey's elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really great read. Highly recommend. I don't really follow college hockey but I might make a game or two this season after reading that. I think we hired the right guy.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
"We have 10 scholarships. The rest of the league has 18"

Does anyone know the story on the scholarship situation? Are we ramping up to 18 or do we have limits due to Title IX?

Reaction Score
"We have 10 scholarships. The rest of the league has 18"

Does anyone know the story on the scholarship situation? Are we ramping up to 18 or do we have limits due to Title IX?

Ramping up...

From 2012 article: "Connecticut currently does not offer athletic scholarships in men's ice hockey, but plans to elevate to the NCAA maximum of 18 scholarships as a participant in Hockey East. UConn will also add additional athletic scholarships to women's sports to ensure compliance with gender equity regulations"

Reaction Score
right, we added 5 last year, 5 this year and I believe we'll be at the full complement next season, though it could be it takes another year to get all the way there. In a sense it doesn't matter that much since we weren't going to bring in 18 or 20 players this year anyway. As it was we brought in 11 new faces, but in hockey it isn't typical that everyone gets a full ride, any way. I can't give you actual numbers, but I know most schools spread the money around. So we had a bunch of players who came without athletics scholarships. I have heard that some have been given some level of aid now, but most has gone to the new guys we brought in last year and this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom