Young...does she stay or go? | The Boneyard

Young...does she stay or go?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd think after this weekend she's more inclined to stay rather than go. She had a great season but her stock is definitely lower after a rough Final Four. She's been mentioned as a potential #1 but I can't Vegas picking her over the likes of McCowan/Brown/Collier after this weekend. If she stays, she gets her degree from a top school, has a good chance to contend for POY and is a likely top 3 pick in 2020. She also has potential to establish her own legacy separate from the stellar senior class that's graduating. My guess is she stays, but I predicted Sabrina would bolt, so we'll see what happens.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'd think after this weekend she's more inclined to stay rather than go. She had a great season but her stock is definitely lower after a rough Final Four. She's been mentioned as a potential #1 but I can't Vegas picking her over the likes of McCowan/Brown/Collier after this weekend. If she stays, she gets her degree from a top school, has a good chance to contend for POY and is a likely top 3 pick in 2020. She also has potential to establish her own legacy separate from the stellar senior class that's graduating. My guess is she stays, but I predicted Sabrina would bolt, so we'll see what happens.
I think people way overestimate "draft stock" as a reason to stay or go in the women's game. As long as you get drafted by *someone*, your fortune will be made or broken by performance at training camp and early season games. It hardly matters whether you go #1 or #10 in the draft IMO.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping she stays but I’ll also follow her in the WNBA.
She still needs to work on her three point shot. Otherwise, she pretty much has a complete offensive game.
She was Notre Dame’s best defensive guard, but that’s not a high margin...I think she can still improve defensively.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm Jackie Young, I'd stay another year. Arike is gone and she'll be the player that ND will hype and she'll get the recognition she deserved this year.

Reaction Score
What's going on is she is getting feedback as to who will draft her. Then there is the thought of how much she can make next winter in Europe. My experience tells me that players with her talent go pro. Especially when all her starting team mates will be gone.

Reaction Score
Good luck to JY. Wish She would’ve stayed. But She had a great 3 Years. Will be rooting for Her in the WNBA.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Wow I'm surprised. Especially after the Twitter sniping and ostracization campaign to which Jewell Loyd was subjected when she left early in 2015.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
1554764393940.png

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Some Mock WNBA Drafts have her going as high as the 5th pick before Arike.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wished she would have stayed.... but best of luck to the kid.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Bummer she's leaving, she'd be a POY candidate next year had she returned. Cupboard is looking very bare for ND...the only players who log big minutes in games aside from the starting 5 are Vaughn who looked awful in the semis/finals, and Prohaska who is a do the little things player, but isn't a strong offensive threat. If Notre Dame sniffs a Final Four it might be Muffet's best coaching job to date.

Young should be a high pick in this draft. I think she'd be well suited in Vegas but I don't see them picking her at #1. She likely goes ahead of AO though and will be a very good pro.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
welp the ACC race will be more wide-open than any season since the mid 1990s or so.

Reaction Score
The WNBA rookie salary is pretty much set with no difference between the picks. Doesn't really matter where you are picked except for how much effort they put into developing your long term. The poster that called it as her going was correct. They stated that because she did not declare soon but rather later it probably because she chose to go and didn't want to catch any negative feedback from ND people.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This means that Muffet loses all 5 starters. 4 seniors to graduation, and junior Young (who is eligible for the draft due to her age) to the WNBA. If Muffet can install 5 new players to her starting lineup and return her program to the sweet 16 next year.

She has talent on her bench, and talent coming in. How well can she mesh them together into a cohesive and competitive unit. We'll get an up close look at her new squad later this year (December) when she brings her team to Connecticut for their annual preseason match up with UConn.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
So the choice has been made. While it wasn’t the one I was hoping for Young will do great. I think she could have been an All American and one of the top players next season had she stayed at ND.
I never bet against MM but the Irish will look different next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom