'You Want To Emulate Him" The Paul Pasqualoni Coaching Tree Has Spread Its Branches Everywhere | The Boneyard

'You Want To Emulate Him" The Paul Pasqualoni Coaching Tree Has Spread Its Branches Everywhere

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
‘You wanted to emulate him’: The Paul Pasqualoni...

Forty years ago, Chris Rippon began his college football career as a defensive back at Southern Connecticut State University.

The Owls’ head coach was George DeLeone. Serving as an assistant on DeLeone’s 1978 Southern staff, in his first coaching job above the high school level, was Paul Pasqualoni. For the next two-plus decades, where Pasqualoni went, Rippon followed.

When Pasqualoni left Southern to take the head coaching job at nearby Western Connecticut State in 1982, Rippon joined him as a grad assistant. Rippon himself then inherited the Western program in 1987, when Pasqualoni accepted a job as the linebackers coach at Syracuse. Six years later, in 1993, Rippon reunited with his coaching mentor, now the Orangemen (later renamed the “Orange”) head coach. He and Pasqualoni would remain together at Syracuse until 2004, when the school let Pasqualoni go.

“He did things so professionally,” Rippon tells The Athletic of Pasqualoni. “He cared about you and your family, he was going to do everything right, you were going to be held accountable. You knew exactly where you stood and what you were supposed to do.”

Following that Syracuse split, Rippon went on to coach at Ole Miss, Rutgers, Marshall and Columbia. He’s currently back at Mississippi as a special teams consultant and the program’s associate athletic director for community relations.

He also is just one of a sprawling number of coaches to find success after spending time under Pasqualoni’s guidance. The Paul Pasqualoni “coaching tree,” as it were, is an overlooked, wholly unappreciated phenomenon, but has branches extending into all ranks of the sport — the NFL, college and high school.

“There was not ‘because you had a title, you were entitled,’ ” Rippon says. “(Pasqualoni) led the way by example. He was just that kind of person, you wanted to emulate him as a professional.”

Reaction Score
‘You wanted to emulate him’: The Paul Pasqualoni...

Forty years ago, Chris Rippon began his college football career as a defensive back at Southern Connecticut State University.

The Owls’ head coach was George DeLeone. Serving as an assistant on DeLeone’s 1978 Southern staff, in his first coaching job above the high school level, was Paul Pasqualoni. For the next two-plus decades, where Pasqualoni went, Rippon followed.

When Pasqualoni left Southern to take the head coaching job at nearby Western Connecticut State in 1982, Rippon joined him as a grad assistant. Rippon himself then inherited the Western program in 1987, when Pasqualoni accepted a job as the linebackers coach at Syracuse. Six years later, in 1993, Rippon reunited with his coaching mentor, now the Orangemen (later renamed the “Orange”) head coach. He and Pasqualoni would remain together at Syracuse until 2004, when the school let Pasqualoni go.

“He did things so professionally,” Rippon tells The Athletic of Pasqualoni. “He cared about you and your family, he was going to do everything right, you were going to be held accountable. You knew exactly where you stood and what you were supposed to do.”

Following that Syracuse split, Rippon went on to coach at Ole Miss, Rutgers, Marshall and Columbia. He’s currently back at Mississippi as a special teams consultant and the program’s associate athletic director for community relations.

He also is just one of a sprawling number of coaches to find success after spending time under Pasqualoni’s guidance. The Paul Pasqualoni “coaching tree,” as it were, is an overlooked, wholly unappreciated phenomenon, but has branches extending into all ranks of the sport — the NFL, college and high school.

“There was not ‘because you had a title, you were entitled,’ ” Rippon says. “(Pasqualoni) led the way by example. He was just that kind of person, you wanted to emulate him as a professional.”
His problem at Uconn, much as it was at Cuse, was his overall offensive philosophy which was amplified by his inept coordinator at Uconn.

There is no doubt that PP was/is a hard worker, a pretty good recruiter (he left his successor a team that had actual D-1 players), a true defensive line coach (see what he did for BC's D-line while he was there) and intensely loyal to his coaches and kids. It was his loyalty to his assistants and his inability to adapt to a better offensive scheme that made him a poor head coach. I have never met a player or anyone that coached with him that has ever said a bad word about him as a person.

And yes, he had to go when he was let go.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute.

The article says that Moorhead coached for Pasqualoni for three seasons. That’s wrong.

Reaction Score
His problem at Uconn, much as it was at Cuse, was his overall offensive philosophy which was amplified by his inept coordinator at Uconn.

There is no doubt that PP was/is a hard worker, a pretty good recruiter (he left his successor a team that had actual D-1 players), a true defensive line coach (see what he did for BC's D-line while he was there) and intensely loyal to his coaches and kids. It was his loyalty to his assistants and his inability to adapt to a better offensive scheme that made him a poor head coach. I have never met a player or anyone that coached with him that has ever said a bad word about him as a person.

He lost control of the program and there are are former players who would not speak well of either him or DeLeone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You want to emulate him...
1) put on sport coat, dress shirt and tie
2) picture a endless void, devoid of anything
3) open your mouth stare vacantly into the emptiness
4) take picture​

highashell_PaulPasqualoni.jpg

Reaction Score
He lost control of the program and there are are former players who would not speak well of either him or DeLeone.

Right. There's basically nothing to say positive about his time at UConn and Diaco being probably even worse doesn't change that. He had a lot more problems here than just being too loyal to DeLeone. Doesn't mean this article is wrong and that you can't say positive things about his other stops, not here though.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He did recruit some decent guys while here and he fielded a decent defense. Offense was another story.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is judged by the roster as a whole, not managing to get a handful of good players. From P's 3 year on we have struggled to beat/failed to beat FCS teams every year. Diaco may have taken our recruiting to a new level of bad, but P absolutely failed to give us a competitive FBS roster

Reaction Score
Three losing seasons in a row meant he had to go. Doesn't matter how great a mentor he was to anyone. He didn't do it when it needed to be done in his home state for the state's flag ship school. Honestly, I was willing to give him some rope the first two seasons because of where he had been(Cowboys) but that third season was proof positive he wasn't going to get it done here. I catch crap to this day from Boneyarders because I spoke up against the cheap, petty, juvenile, personal shots spewed at him and I don't apologize one bit for that. It's one thing to criticize his coaching and another to insult him personally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

spot on. his career speaks louder than his time at uconn.

Reaction Score

.....and he viewed the QB as just another position. Hence his inability to judge offensive talent, particularly quarterbacks.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Athletes who retire too late can become a caricature of what they were. Willie Mays stumbling in the outfield as a Met is a prime example. Coaches whose philosophies worked a decade earlier qualify as well. PP was a great guy, knows football - but was past his prime as the head coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Athletes who retire too late can become a caricature of what they were. Willie Mays stumbling in the outfield as a Met is a prime example. Coaches whose philosophies worked a decade earlier qualify as well. PP was a great guy, knows football - but was past his prime as the head coach.
I think Pasqualoni can be a solid coach, as long as he has Donovan McNabb at QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Three losing seasons in a row meant he had to go. Doesn't matter how great a mentor he was to anyone. He didn't do it when it needed to be done in his home state for the state's flag ship school. Honestly, I was willing to give him some rope the first two seasons because of where he had been(Cowboys) but that third season was proof positive he wasn't going to get it done here. I catch crap to this day from Boneyarders because I spoke up against the cheap, petty, juvenile, personal shots spewed at him and I don't apologize one bit for that. It's one thing to criticize his coaching and another to insult him personally.
I was never a fan of Joe D'. Just don't like his snotty attitude and sick, twisted bias towards NY teams on a radio station that broadcasts Red Sox games.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall just always seemed to manage the roster better than when PP coached. That's not purely recruiting.

Would Robbie Frey had left if PP was anything worthwhile? Would we be watching walk-on Johnny McEntee play QB and stumbling bumbling? Some positions seems to stay at a higher level - LB & DL - but then you saw it dive under Diaco.

UConn Football is not an easy Program to make a winner. Edsall - to my way of thinking - knows the careful calculation of where he needs to be to get the kind of player to win at this level. Which frankly, is just a drop below Top Tier. You can win by taking a Jordan Todman from Fall River and guiding him into bigtime play; and QB Darius Butler from Coral Springs FL turning him into a CB. You need that something extra; you need to hire assistants that can pick up that magic energy. I do think we can climb to a top of AAC level. I do think the AAC is a tougher conference than 2005-2009 Big East Football.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall just always seemed to manage the roster better than when PP coached. That's not purely recruiting.

Would Robbie Frey had left if PP was anything worthwhile? Would we be watching walk-on Johnny McEntee play QB and stumbling bumbling? Some positions seems to stay at a higher level - LB & DL - but then you saw it dive under Diaco.

UConn Football is not an easy Program to make a winner. Edsall - to my way of thinking - knows the careful calculation of where he needs to be to get the kind of player to win at this level. Which frankly, is just a drop below Top Tier. You can win by taking a Jordan Todman from Fall River and guiding him into bigtime play; and QB Darius Butler from Coral Springs FL turning him into a CB. You need that something extra; you need to hire assistants that can pick up that magic energy. I do think we can climb to a top of AAC level. I do think the AAC is a tougher conference than 2005-2009 Big East Football.

My thinking (and hope) exactly.

That P ran McCoombs as the feature back for three consecutive seasons was crazy.......as just one more example of program mid-management.

Reaction Score
4) take picture​

I signed in just to like this comment. LMFAO!!!

C

Chief00

We can all say what we want but the bottomline is Randy needs to pick up the recruiting. It’s not going nearly well enough. I am not talking the number of stars a guy has -just not getting enough talented DL’s in the door - Jones is the exception and a Big One.

Reaction Score
Coach P gets killed on this board, and considering the circumstances surrounding his tenure I don't blame any of you. That said the guy was a good HC at Cuse, and is still a quality position coach everywhere he goes. Its not unreasonable to believe that he has a solid coaching tree of assistants out there doing good things.

The reality is that being a HC at a FBS Program in the modern era is a 24/7/365 job. It is all consuming. By the point he became HC at Uconn, Coach P was no longer capable of that type of effort. He certainly should shoulder part of the blame for his tenure, but IMO more of the blame should be on The AD and administration. There never should have been a tenure.

I've adopted Uconn as my second team, and follow it surprisingly closely. I hope that Edsall has the energy for what is truly a daunting rebuild at this point in his career. I believe the added motivation of wanting to see revived what he had personally built will motivate him to push through the day to day grind. Obviously Coach P had none of that personal ownership. JMO but when Randy rights the ship and decides to call it a career, I truly hope that the administration hires a young, energetic, OFFENSIVE coach to be HC. The program so desperately needs fresh new offensive direction and a new positive energy. There are a number of great head coaches at both the lower G5 and FCS Level who lead exciting dynamic offenses with limited recruiting resources. Uconn definitely needs one of these guys in the worst way. JMO but I'd give Randy five years to get the program back on solid footing and then move him into an administrative role in The AD.

Reaction Score
4) take picture​

Looks like a demented Will Ferrell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors