You make the Call: | The Boneyard

You make the Call:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear a lot of Negative Nancy's second guessing the coaching staff. Maybe it would be fun to see what kind of X's & O's you'd draw up for the first set of downs in the next game vs W. Mich.

Be specific as to why vs what W. Mich D is bringing.

Reaction Score
I hear a lot of Negative Nancy's second guessing the coaching staff. Maybe it would be fun to see what kind of X's & O's you'd draw up for the first set of downs in the next game vs W. Mich.

Be specific as to why vs what W. Mich D is bringing.

Weak post.

Nothing new or wrong with a fan base criticizing the staff and arguing with those who disagree. If you want to live in fantasy land and ignore the warts that this team has that's your business. If myself and others want to deal in reality it doesn't make us any less of a fan that you. Welcome to the world of big time sports.

Name calling is small time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still firmly believe that with our defense, priority one needs to be to hold onto the ball on offense. If this leads to more incessant whining from TDH, so be it.

Reaction Score
In all honesty if we start with the ball I'd like to see us open with McCummings and run a few down their throat. Hopefully get a first down, take a shot down field, and then put Whitmer in the for rest of the half. If we don't get a first, punt, let our defense terrorize them and then put in Whitmer for the half. I really like what we can do with McCummings at times, and I'd like to start the game pushing them around, but I don't like when they put him in mid drive. I think you need to start a drive with him where you switch to Whitmer after a first down or two, or you need to put him in as a goal line QB to finish the drive but I hate to see McC come in for one or two plays mid-drive. It seems to throw everything out of sync.

Reaction Score
They aren't negative Nancy's. they have successful madden teams and cant understand why the coaches aren't calling the same plays.

This should be in gold.

I think there are a lot of video game football pundits around here.

Pay attention though, there are some that know what the x's and o's and jimmy's and joe's really are about.

Our offense, as statistically ranked in comparison to other 121 division 1-A programs at this stage of the season?

Sucks.

Our offense as compared to last year?

Showing signs of life - albeit - it's not that hard to show signs of life after what happened vs. NC State.

I know one thing, these coaches have been doing this for a long, long, long time and have developed some exceptional players and teams, and won a lot of games.

I know something else, UConn fans, are die-hards, and true to the New ENgland heritage, always need something to bitch about.

We are 2-1. We have a top 10 rated defense so far- which BTW - I said months ago had the potential to be a top 10 in the nation defense by season's end, and what happened? true to New ENgland heritage, people always found something to bitch about......

Anyone thinking we were going to a top 10 in the country offense from 2010-2011-2012 is smoking something good. We are starting a new center, new QB, new WR's, new guards........We have not had a balanced division 1-A offense, and full depth chart - ever.

We're going to get there, but it's not happening overnight, it's going to take some serious recruiting, and player development, and we're doing it.

Just got to keep moving the chains, and building, and we are.

I posted a whole load of offensive passing stats from 2011 and 2012 yesterday, and it got buried on this website - on a thread titles - what are doing GOOD about our offense. As for running offense? WE are playing an entirely different kind of running offense than we have in the past, and it's improving week to week too. The OL was all over the field aginst Maryland, and the system is built to be able to move, the way that NFL lineman need to move.......and it takes blockign from everybody - when a QB hands the ball to runner - it' 9 on11, blocking. It's that simple. But it's a hell of lot more thinking that what we did in the past.

People just like to bitch, and it's easier to feed of negative energy than positive with that mentality.

Reaction Score
I'd run our 160 lb RB on 1st down 11/12ths of the time, other time I would throw a flair to the FB making sure he is running directly at the sidelines when he catches it so he can step out of bounds quickly. Depending if made our average 1.6 yards on 1st down or not, I'd then make sure have 2 TE set tight with WR's flanked almost all the way to the sidelines and have slot receiver motion past the QB and then on even number series hand the ball off to 160lb RB for power drive up the middle and on odd number series would throw a turn around to the TE at about 3 yards. Probably now have a new 1st down, but in case don't, would have CW throw a 40 yard fly pattern to WR in double coverage with the check down to RB or TE making sure they were not past the 1st down marker so there would be less likely to be closely covered.

And you thought only Deleone could be this inventive.

Reaction Score
Continuing on what Husky68 wrote.... once I completed a pass for a first down I would switch QB's and put in a larger faster guy to run Wildcat. If...if we were gaining chunks of yards w/ that I would switch QB's again because i would want to out think the defense so they don't have a chance to catch on to what was working, and I go back to running b/w the tackles for 1.6 ypc.

Reaction Score
I still firmly believe that with our defense, priority one needs to be to hold onto the ball on offense. If this leads to more incessant whining from TDH, so be it.
Geez Fairfield can you join this century? The holding onto the ball and letting the defense do all the work is exactly why UConn is in this position. Too many 2nd a longs against 8-11 men in the box. Too many 3rd-12's when now a weak passing attack is not gonna have the defense needing to stop both the run and pass. Too many three and outs. Too many high school playmakers saying thanks but no thanks to UConn (not the school for me, all they do is run and I'm not out there to be some damn blocker). Too many high QBs wanting to throw the ball and deciding therefore that Uconn is not their best choice.

You don't want whine and I don't want an incessant cheesehead that's yearning for Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor to walk through the door.

Ahhhh "needs to hold onto the ball on offense" Seriously???? How about scoring some flippin points and taking the pressure off the defense to be perfect?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Holding on to the ball requires a running game and making the occasional first down.

Winning the game requires an occasional offensive touchdown.

This is the source of the criticism, not that our offense doesn't look like Oregon's.

We like running the ball around here, it's our identity. The problem has been that we aren't running, aren't passing, and aren't scoring.

The results speak for themselves. The way the D and ST have played we should be an easy 3-0. Instead, we are 2-1 and could easily be 1-2, with tougher games on the horizon in a season that could break our recruiting and thus our program for a decade. We don't want that to happen, so we're gonna bitch about it. Get used to it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Brilliant.

I'd run our 160 lb RB on 1st down 11/12ths of the time, other time I would throw a flair to the FB making sure he is running directly at the sidelines when he catches it so he can step out of bounds quickly. Depending if made our average 1.6 yards on 1st down or not, I'd then make sure have 2 TE set tight with WR's flanked almost all the way to the sidelines and have slot receiver motion past the QB and then on even number series hand the ball off to 160lb RB for power drive up the middle and on odd number series would throw a turn around to the TE at about 3 yards. Probably now have a new 1st down, but in case don't, would have CW throw a 40 yard fly pattern to WR in double coverage with the check down to RB or TE making sure they were not past the 1st down marker so there would be less likely to be closely covered.

And you thought only Deleone could be this inventive.

Reaction Score
On offense, I think we just don't have the players. But the scheme and the strategy are not helping matters either.

Reaction Score
On offense, I think we just don't have the players. But the scheme and the strategy are not helping matters either.

Disagreee. Players are there. The most talent at any skill position UConn has ever had is this season. Dan Orlovsky was able to throw the ball around the yard with far inferior players. We have a quarterback that can get these guys the ball. We have playmakers. We have some burners. Use them and quit running the ball when it's not working. Oh, and how about we throw to our best pass catching tight end instead of throwing to a blocker who can't get any YAC.

We talk about it's going to take time and recruiting to have an offense. Well, we had an offense 8 seasons ago....

Reaction Score
Holding on to the ball requires a running game and making the occasional first down.

Winning the game requires an occasional offensive touchdown. That's a true fact. "Holding on to the ball, so the defense can win the game, #@#% that!

This is the source of the criticism, not that our offense doesn't look like Oregon's. Good point.

We like running the ball around here, it's our identity. Not really. Our identity, unfortunatly, is an impotent offense, period! We don't like to throw and after nearly a decade . . . well . . . we can't. We stubbornly stick to the run (ala the 60's Vince Lombardi video) and then act surprised when the offense can't defeat 9-10 man fronts. The problem has been that we aren't running, aren't passing, and aren't scoring. Oh, and for the record, Vince Lombardi - Mr. Power Sweep of a by gone era - had a Pro Bowl QB who could absolutely pick apart defenses with his passing. No wonder those Packer greats had room to run.

The results speak for themselves. The way the D and ST have played we should be an easy 3-0. Instead, we are 2-1 and could easily be 1-2, with tougher games on the horizon in a season that could break our recruiting and thus our program for a decade. We don't want that to happen, so we're gonna bitch about it. Get used to it. Word!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Good post, man. Accurate analysis.

Reaction Score
Disagreee. Players are there. The most talent at any skill position UConn haer had is this season. Dan Orlovsky was able to throw the ball around the yard with far inferior players. We have a quarterback that can get these guys the ball. We have playmakers. We have some burners. Use them and quit running the ball when it's not working. Oh, and how about we throw to our best pass catching tight end instead of throwing to a blocker who can't get any YAC.

We talk about it's going to take time and recruiting to have an offense. Well, we had an offense 8 seasons ago....

Dan Orlovsky did most of his throwing it around the yard against MAC teams, plus he was a terrific quarterback. We haven't had one that good since, and I doubt that Whitmer will be there. I don't mean to knock Orlovsky, by the way. But in his first 3 years we played 4 MAC teams each time, plus a 1AA plus Temple and/or Rutgers when both were jokes. I mean in 2003 we had a pretty nice little football team but we also played Army who didn't win a game. We played Buffalo(1-11), Kent State(5-7), Akron(7-5) and Western Michigan(5-7) of the MAC, Lehigh, a 1AA team, and 2-10 Indiana. For where we were at the time it was an appropriate schedule, but it was in total nowhere near where we are today. Dan O was a terrific quarterback. He made less than stellar receivers seem better than they were. We'll see where we go from here.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Disagreee. Players are there. The most talent at any skill position UConn has ever had is this season. Dan Orlovsky was able to throw the ball around the yard with far inferior players. We have a quarterback that can get these guys the ball. We have playmakers. We have some burners. Use them and quit running the ball when it's not working. Oh, and how about we throw to our best pass catching tight end instead of throwing to a blocker who can't get any YAC.

Very astute. Correct on all counts.

Reaction Score
If I was the coach this would be MY first play of the game... Western Mich knows we are a running team and run a majority on first down.. I would have QB under center, followed by a two Tail back set, Lyle and Williams (split back,not I formation).. Would also have 1 WR wide to the Left, with 2 TE's on the line opposite sides. Get to the line in this formation then out of no where split the TE's out wideer , and motion one RB as a reciever.. On the First play of the Game take a chance down field Using 5 recievers (2 TE's, 2 Rb's and Smith). looks Like a run at first, then bam 70 yard TD pass...

Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky did most of his throwing it around the yard against MAC teams, plus he was a terrific quarterback. We haven't had one that good since, and I doubt that Whitmer will be there. I don't mean to knock Orlovsky, by the way. But in his first 3 years we played 4 MAC teams each time, plus a 1AA plus Temple and/or Rutgers when both were jokes. I mean in 2003 we had a pretty nice little football team but we also played Army who didn't win a game. We played Buffalo(1-11), Kent State(5-7), Akron(7-5) and Western Michigan(5-7) of the MAC, Lehigh, a 1AA team, and 2-10 Indiana. For where we were at the time it was an appropriate schedule, but it was in total nowhere near where we are today. Dan O was a terrific quarterback. He made less than stellar receivers seem better than they were. We'll see where we go from here.

UConn was in the Big East in 2004 - Orlovsky's senior year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Punt. Our best chance to score comes with the defense on the field.

Reaction Score
McCummings at QB, shotgun, J Williams at RB on his right. Phillipps, GDavis at wideout, Williams and Griffin in the slots, run a read option. 2nd and short same lineup throw it, 2nd and long then run it again. If it's 3rd and long then run it see what happens. Looking for a speed package that spreads out the D and gets it to our playmakers in space.

Reaction Score
1st play on O for Uconn. Post pattern BOMB. Throw it as far as you can and let our recievers take a shot at it.

Reaction Score
1st play on O for Uconn. Post pattern BOMB. Throw it as far as you can and let our recievers take a shot at it.

Great call. Now who tells the WR's what a post pattern is? They may have forgotten after all this coaching they've received from Dele and PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom