"You Have To Get Smacked Around A Little Bit" | The Boneyard

"You Have To Get Smacked Around A Little Bit"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well Geno okay, but not a lot right?

"Thursday, we’ll find out some stuff about our team, really good and really bad, and that’ll help us go into the next game,” Auriemma said. “That’s what this is all about.”

Even if Thursday presents more “bad” than the Huskies would like, Auriemma anticipates they’ll be better off for it.

“You have to get smacked around a little bit so that you can get stronger, and Thursday is going to be a real challenge,” he added.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno...the outcome of regular season games are learning experiences for the games at the end of March and beginning of April.
And only 1 National poll matters, the post season poll after the NCAA Tournament.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno...the outcome of regular season games are learning experiences for the games at the end of March and beginning of April.
And only 1 National poll matters, the post season poll after the NCAA Tournament.
Not all fans understand that. To some a loss is the end of the world. Only one game really matters and that's the last one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not all fans understand that. To some a loss is the end of the world. Only one game really matters and that's the last one.
This is part of the truly exceptional nature of UConn WBB, that we've experienced so many undefeated seasons that a single loss seems borderline traumatic. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Reaction Score

Baylor fans are well aware !!! :)

Reaction Score

It's to be expected that UConn fans compare teams from different years. I keep having to remind myself that I haven't seen any 2019/20 wcbb teams that are as good as UConn's best teams. And all this year's team needs to be is better than everyone else in March/April. They are still in the mix. I wouldn't say that if I thought they have hit their ceiling.

Reaction Score

As I remember it, he has always said it. As has all of the other top coaches. Doesn’t mean they want to or expect to lose.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The only game that really,really matters is the last one in April. Every other game leads up to the last game, in April for the NC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The keys to UConn winning Thursday -
  1. Liv must equal or neutralize Cox's output/effectiveness. Simply put, if Cox scores 14, Liv scores 15+. If Cox has 8 rebounds, Liv gets 9+, etc. Liv has already played against Vandy's 6-5 Mariella Fasoula, and Cal's 6-7 Chen Yue.
  2. Crystal, Christyn and Megan must have one of their best games of the year on both ends of the court. One or two players can't do all the heavy lifting.
  3. There can be no drop off when Geno goes to his bench. I expect him to only go 2 deep the entire game. I expect the starters to go 37-40 minutes. That's why he gave them so much rest Sunday.
  4. Hold Baylor to 65 points or less. Massey predicts UConn winning the game 70-66, and gives them a 60% chance of winning.
  5. Keep Baylor's 3 pt. shooting pct. under 35%.
  6. Control the paint. Baylor scored over 50 points in the paint last time. That can't happen again Thursday. Outscore Baylor in points in the paint. Limit them to 1 shot per possession.
Win or lose, this game will be analyzed, dissected and probed for the next few days afterward. But this game WILL NOT define our season. As Geno said: "We’ll find out some stuff about our team, really good and really bad, and that’ll help us go into the next game. “That’s what this is all about.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  1. Liv must equal or neutralize Cox's output/effectiveness. Simply put, if Cox scores 14, Liv scores 15+. If Cox has 8 rebounds, Liv gets 9+, etc.
  2. Crystal, Christyn and Megan must have one of their best games of the year on both ends of the court. One or two players can't do all the heavy lifting.
  3. There can be no drop off when Geno goes to his bench. I expect him to only go 2 deep the entire game. I expect the starters to go 37-40 minutes. That's why he gave them so much rest Sunday.
  4. Hold Baylor to 65 points or less. Massey predicts UConn winning the game 70-66, and gives them a 60% chance of winning.
  6. Control the paint. Outscore Baylor in points in the paint. Limit them to 1 shot per possession.
Uconn needs 7 to 12 made 3s.

Reaction Score
If we do all 6 of those things we win by 35+. Pick 4 and we win. BTW #3 is impossible, just by definition. And #6 is highly unlikely. So, eliminating #3 and #6, then ALL of 1, 2, 4 and 5 must happen. Likeliness of this happening? I dunno - some how some way, but I think we'll do it!!

I actually think that if you just get #1 and #2, Uconn would win easily and #1 is more likely than #2 just by probability.

Reaction Score
I actually think that if you just get #1 and #2, Uconn would win easily and #1 is more likely than #2 just by probability.
I agree if Liv outplays Cox then we win. You really think this will happen?

(I do :D:p:D:p)

Reaction Score
This is part of the truly exceptional nature of UConn WBB, that we've experienced so many undefeated seasons that a single loss seems borderline traumatic. I have to keep reminding myself of this.
Well, it is...

Reaction Score
I agree if Liv outplays Cox then we win. You really think this will happen?

(I do :D:p:D:p)
Maybe ono will play even with cox but let’s not forget Lauren is one of the most complete players in the country right now. If her shot isn’t falling, she’ll find a way to impact the game whether it’d be assisting to an open player, rebound the ball or blocking shots.

Reaction Score
Maybe ono will play even with cox but let’s not forget Lauren is one of the most complete players in the country right now. If her shot isn’t falling, she’ll find a way to impact the game whether it’d be assisting to an open player, rebound the ball or blocking shots.

If Cox is healthy, I don't think ONO can play even with her at this point, but ONO actually has at least as good stat across the board compared to Cox in being a complete player.

Carnac

Reaction Score
  1. Liv must equal or neutralize Cox's output/effectiveness. Simply put, if Cox scores 14, Liv scores 15+. If Cox has 8 rebounds, Liv gets 9+, etc. Liv has already played against Vandy's 6-5 Mariella Fasoula, and Cal's 6-7 Chen Yue.
  6. Control the paint. Outscore Baylor in points in the paint. Limit them to 1 shot per possession.
Win or lose, this game will be analyzed, dissected and probed for the next few days afterward.

"3. There can be no drop off when Geno goes to his bench. I expect him to only go 2 deep the entire game. I expect the starters to go 37-40 minutes. That's why he gave them so much rest Sunday."

Upon further reflection, I think this item needs to be explained in more detail. This was my thinking when I wrote this comment:

Anna is the 5th starter Thursday. Irwin and Griffin are Geno's two subs. Bent and Adebayo don't get in. Irwin just had the best game of her career with a 14 point, 7 assist and 2 block performance. For her to replicate that performance is not impossible. Geno wants her to do it again. She wants to do it again. Why can't she do it again? A performance of that nature would not be considered a "let down". Quite the contrary.

She was just voted the "Bad Ass" of the SMU game by The Kibitizer for that performance. A selection that was overwhelmingly endorsed by the majority of the boneyard faithful. She CAN do it again Thursday. Will she, that remains to be seen, but it's NOT impossible. It's already been done!!

Over the last 3 years, two UConn freshmen (Christyn Williams and Crystal Dangerfield) had their breakout games against Baylor and Notre Dame. That's a fact. We all remember those games. Crystal had her's against Baylor in game #2 (11/17/16) of the 2016-2017 season coming off the bench to help UConn win by turning in a 19/4/5 performance in 30 minutes. [Box score]

Christyn had hers last year against Notre Dame (12/2/18) [Box score] when she lit up the Irish for 28 points in 40 minutes. We definitely remember that game. Why can't Aubrey have a similar game, or one close to it? She's already done it once this year. She's just as talented as they were at this point in their freshman year.

Aubrey had her breakout game against Seton Hall on December 5 with a 25/12/2 performance in 31 minutes off the bench. That is a fact. [Box score] If she did it once, she can do it again. If Aubrey could score 15 points, grab 7 rebounds and hand out 5 assists, THAT would be great!! A performance of THAT nature would NOT be considered a drop off.

Can she do it, yes. She already has. Will she do it again Thursday, that remains to be seen. To suggest that two UConn bench players can't come off the bench and perform at a high level with no drop off is folly. That's like saying man will never walk on the moon. That would be incorrect because it has already been done by 12 men (1969-1972). How can something be impossible when it's already happened?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well Geno okay, but not a lot right?

"Thursday, we’ll find out some stuff about our team, really good and really bad, and that’ll help us go into the next game,” Auriemma said. “That’s what this is all about.”

Even if Thursday presents more “bad” than the Huskies would like, Auriemma anticipates they’ll be better off for it.

“You have to get smacked around a little bit so that you can get stronger, and Thursday is going to be a real challenge,” he added.

Of all the things Geno says---this is the MOST RIGHT. They will get SMACKED around especially Walker and Nelson-Ododa. Mulkey will go after Griffin each time she has the ball, weakest link she may think, frosh.
Geno is preparing Fans for a loss---will he be surprised!!

Reaction Score
"3. There can be no drop off when Geno goes to his bench. I expect him to only go 2 deep the entire game. I expect the starters to go 37-40 minutes. That's why he gave them so much rest Sunday."

Upon further reflection, I think this item needs to be explained in more detail. This was my thinking when I wrote this comment:

Anna is the 5th starter Thursday. Irwin and Griffin are Geno's two subs. Bent and Adebayo don't get in. Irwin just had the best game of her career with a 14 point, 7 assist and 2 block performance. For her to replicate that performance is not impossible. Geno wants her to do it again. She wants to do it again. Why can't she do it again? A performance of that nature would not be considered a "let down". Quite the contrary.

She was just voted the "Bad Ass" of the SMU game by The Kibitizer for that performance. A selection that was overwhelmingly endorsed by the majority of the boneyard faithful. She CAN do it again Thursday. Will she, that remains to be seen, but it's NOT impossible. It's already been done!!

Over the last 3 years, two UConn freshmen (Christyn Williams and Crystal Dangerfield) had their breakout games against Baylor and Notre Dame. That's a fact. We all remember those games. Crystal had her's against Baylor in game #2 (11/17/16) of the 2016-2017 season coming off the bench to help UConn win by turning in a 19/4/5 performance in 30 minutes. [Box score]

Christyn had hers last year against Notre Dame (12/2/18) [Box score] when she lit up the Irish for 28 points in 40 minutes. We definitely remember that game. Why can't Aubrey have a similar game, or one close to it? She's already done it once this year. She's just as talented as they were at this point in their freshman year.

Aubrey had her breakout game against Seton Hall on December 5 with a 25/12/2 performance in 31 minutes off the bench. That is a fact. [Box score] If she did it once, she can do it again. If Aubrey could score 15 points, grab 7 rebounds and hand out 5 assists, THAT would be great!! A performance of THAT nature would NOT be considered a drop off.

Can she do it, yes. She already has. Will she do it again Thursday, that remains to be seen. To suggest that two UConn bench players can't come off the bench and perform at a high level with no drop off is folly. That's like saying man will never walk on the moon. That would be incorrect because it has already been done by 12 men (1969-1972). How can something be impossible when it's already happened?
I'm not sure whom you consider Bench Players??? Certainly not Irwin, Ania, Aubrey they are not bench players they are the 5th, 6th, 7th person on any game and not necessarily in any order.
Also, I expect IRWIN to START. Why? The last game certainly but more than that she is a SENIOR with the most experience and (more current) she has shown a maturity on the floor with mostly (screws up at times) good decisions. Griffin may be ready for prime time, MAYBE we'll see, I hope. Ania IS Ready. Beyond that the bench really can't help Geno UNLESS Molly pulls off an IRWIN imitation at the right time.
ONLY THE IMPOSSIBLE IS IMPOSSIBLE. Humans have two choices live up to expectations or live down to them. Which will the bench player do?? Maybe Westbrook then NCAA may reconsider and let her play..

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

So many are speaking about Cox's offensive impact but where she really impacts the game (at 100%) is on the defense with her blocks and communication on the back line. Her offense is good but she needs help and is not always the most efficient (against us at least). She is not going to torch us for 25 pts with good efficiency and I am not sure her timing (or the other players) is back to the point that her strong high-low action is as deadly as it was with Kalani but she will make it hard for us to drive in allowing their guards to really challenge our 3pt shooting.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm not sure whom you consider Bench Players??? Certainly not Irwin, Ania, Aubrey they are not bench players they are the 5th, 6th, 7th person on any game and not necessarily in any order.
Also, I expect IRWIN to START. Why? The last game certainly but more than that she is a SENIOR with the most experience and (more current) she has shown a maturity on the floor with mostly (screws up at times) good decisions. Griffin may be ready for prime time, MAYBE we'll see, I hope. Ania IS Ready. Beyond that the bench really can't help Geno UNLESS Molly pulls off an IRWIN imitation at the right time.
ONLY THE IMPOSSIBLE IS IMPOSSIBLE. Humans have two choices live up to expectations or live down to them. Which will the bench player do?? Maybe Westbrook then NCAA may reconsider and let her play..

Let me clear it up for you. In my scenario, Anna starts. I understand that Anna and Irwin have started, so both can be considered a starter and a reserve. Remember Broadway, this is MY take. They have rotated starting in and out the 5th starter spot all season. Today, Anna starts. I understand that you and others may not agree with it. Not sure who I consider bench players? I consider Bent, Adebayo and Griffin bench players.

I want Irwin coming off the bench tomorrow for a reason.
I'm fully aware of her performance against SMU. This is Baylor, not SMU. There is a method to my madness. Baylor will present problems and challenges that SMU did not. Aubrey is a reserve, not a starter. I also want her coming off the bench.

She doesn’t know the system yet. Starting her would put us at a disadvantage in the beginning minutes of of game when both teams are trying to establish control, rhythm and a flow. I can play her (and Irwin) as many minutes as I need to, but she starts out on the bench.

Irwin may very well start tomorrow. That's Geno's call, and I'm perfectly OK with it. In Geno I trust. My scenario was if I were coaching.......which I'm not. Everyone here has their own interpretation of what they see, and how THEY would handle things IF THEY were the coach. I'm sure YOU have YOUR own ideas about how things should be done tomorrow.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom