You guys have gone off the deep end! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You guys have gone off the deep end!

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Here’s my problem with the expectations people have. They are largely based on an extremely rare historical precedent in terms of outperforming expectations in the tourney.

UConn’s last regular season dominant team was 2009.

Our sweet spot window was about 10-15 years.

We were extremely blessed to win in ‘11 and ‘14 with teams that were capable surely, but not expected to win. In fact ‘14 almost died in the cradle.

Hurley has us back to that ‘11 & ‘14 level already without the miracle runs.

Those who believe we should be back at the 00’s think we deserve hall of fame level coaching and program building performance.

What programs performance as a benchmark would make people satisfied with Hurley right now?

Gonzaga? Still haven’t won the big one. Kentucky? Just got bounced a community college from Jersey. What’s the comp standard?

Nobody is satisfied with back to back first round exits but it’s not an endictment.

And for the Hurley is easy to prepare for crowd, what he does has us in the top 5 of net good shots vs our opponents.

Is there a better coaching statistic normalized for player performance than that?
Finally a voice of reason. The armchair quarterbacks in the BY are unbearable at times. I would venture to guess that most of them stopped coaching at the 12 year old rec league level. Hurley has performed very well by all measures in the short time he’s been here. We have improved drastically from when he took over. The two losses in the tourney can easily be attributable to our limited personnel. It’s hard to win in March with only one playmaker of limited size and foot speed. Our offense lacks shooters and play makers. Last year if it weren’t for Bouknight we would have had minimal offense. This year we had 2 of our five starters who were primarily rebounders and defenders and one guy coming off the bench who is very streaky as a shooter. I’m hoping Hurley lands a couple playmakers/offensively skilled transfers. Calhoun didn’t win without the horses. Recruiting will be critical moving forward. We only lost one game this year by more than a couple of possessions. Hurley got a lot out of this group.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

No it means we’re a well coached team who is cycling through an increase in talent. When the players we’ve recruited over the last two years are our super seniors and we have a full pipeline of 4 star + talent then the performance will catch up with the coaching.

This says top third in both stats.

Which is still good and in line with our kenpom.

Hurley is 80% of the way there

My comments in the thread about what he needs to work on are the last 20.

Reaction Score
and this stat supports our own eyes as many have recognized this teamed missed a ton of easy/open shots.

Just my opinion but an offense that generates good shots is probably the result of good coaching.
Or it could be that the opponents let UConn players take what "should" be good shots because UConn plays guys who can't shoot. For a lot of UConn players the old adage "there is a reason you are open" is unfortunately true.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Or it could be that the opponents let UConn players take what "should" be good shots because UConn plays guys who can't shoot. For a lot of UConn players the old adage "there is a reason you are open" is unfortunately true.
This isn’t wrong, but it’s also primarily evidence of teams not getting anything at the rim against us.

Attachments

• B3939016-EEC3-43AB-8E69-083438F2BA87.jpeg
    B3939016-EEC3-43AB-8E69-083438F2BA87.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 75
Reaction Score
Finally a voice of reason. The armchair quarterbacks in the BY are unbearable at times. I would venture to guess that most of them stopped coaching at the 12 year old rec league level. Hurley has performed very well by all measures in the short time he’s been here. We have improved drastically from when he took over. The two losses in the tourney can easily be attributable to our limited personnel. It’s hard to win in March with only one playmaker of limited size and foot speed. Our offense lacks shooters and play makers. Last year if it weren’t for Bouknight we would have had minimal offense. This year we had 2 of our five starters who were primarily rebounders and defenders and one guy coming off the bench who is very streaky as a shooter. I’m hoping Hurley lands a couple playmakers/offensively skilled transfers. Calhoun didn’t win without the horses. Recruiting will be critical moving forward. We only lost one game this year by more than a couple of possessions. Hurley got a lot out of this group.

and we didn't have the real Bouknight last year vs Maryland just a close facsimile of him.

Reaction Score

Well we're in the top 5 of that stat, knock it if you want I think it's a result of good coaching. The teams ranked ahead of us are all terrific.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This isn’t wrong, but it’s also primarily evidence of teams not getting anything at the rim against us.

Whaley is a god lol

The problem is teams are scorching hot on corner 3s

Reaction Score
Until the former point guard recruits great shooting guards and more than one at a time we are going nowhere. And I am not talking just shooting guards but players that have an excellent handle.

Reaction Score
If you love Hurley, that's fine...with the players he has he should have won 20 plus games...taken the team to a spot in March Madness. But don't expect him to win in the NCAA's when you are eight men deep at most and rarely can put two players on the court that can put the ball in the basket. You know why they led the Big East in offensive rebounding? Because they miss so many shots! Forget about height get some kids that can score!

Reaction Score
Forget about height get some kids that can score!

I think you see this change already in his most recent recruits all of whom are noted shooters/scorers. Better shooting is on the way.

Hawkins has great shooting form, Karaban looks like a shooter, the word on the street is that Floyd can shoot, Clingan is a gifter scorer, and Castle looks like a terrific offensive weapon. Is the fanbase going to be patient enough for this new wave of players or do we want to run Hurley out of town? I hope we show some patience.

and BTW Hurley has already put a terrific offensive player into the NBA but it didn't help us last year because of the elbow injury/surgery.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could've simply just "liked" your post, but I had to reply. This is the best, most rational, logical assessment I've heard yet. Can the mods somehow put a pin in this post alone? So we can refer to it all summer. @OkaForPrez you're the voice of a generation.
Back to back one and done with supposedly talent laden squads hardened by a supposedly super basketball conference is bull crap. Hurley could have top 10 recruits at every position and he’d run them into the ground. Great recruiter, big mouth with nothing behind it.

Reaction Score
I understand your frustration. I for one never thought that this team was talent laden, though. Did you?
Back to back one and done with supposedly talent laden squads hardened by a supposedly super basketball conference is bull crap. Hurley could have top 10 recruits at every position and he’d run them into the ground. Great recruiter, big mouth with nothing behind it.
Isaiah whaley became a legit player under Hurley. His growth was tangible. Also, you don't think Cole and Tyrese benefited from playing under Hurley? I don't think he ran them into the ground. He actually increased their stock 10fold

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't hurting anything by referring back to struggles of the program and where it is right now getting better. I think he got misquoted by the New London Day. He's drawing a comparison to show how much this program has healing and grown out of a tough situation and its not a knock against Ollie. Hurley has been awesome.

Despite what happened to Kevin Ollie, I'm glad he's doing well after what happened. I'll always remember Ollie keeping the team positive during that 2012/13 season of no post season eligibility and still guiding that team to a 20 win season and ending on a high note when Ryan Boatright swished that shot against Providence at the Gampel Pavilion. Also, he won Uconn that 4th title a year later in 2013/14 with Shabazz, Boatright and co.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't hurting anything by referring back to struggles of the program and where it is right now getting better. I think he got misquoted by the New London Day. He's drawing a comparison to show how much this program has healing and grown out of a tough situation and its not a knock against Ollie. Hurley has been awesome.

Despite what happened to Kevin Ollie, I'm glad he's doing well after what happened. I'll always remember Ollie keeping the team positive during that 2012/13 season of no post season eligibility and still guiding that team to a 20 win season and ending on a high note when Ryan Boatright swished that shot against Providence at the Gampel Pavilion. Also, he won Uconn that 4th title a year later in 2013/14 with Shabazz, Boatright and co.
Hurley has never said a disparaging word about Ollie. The whole thread was a reach.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wonder how many of the Hurley Haters thought Calhoun couldn't win the big one in the 90's?

Probably at least 75%

This team had serious deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. And I'm talking talent wise, everyone lacked something. The closest thing we have to well rounded NBA potential player was Hawkins, who missed the post season.

The team played hard, played defense and rebounded. I loved watching these son of a b's fight.

My only problem with Hurley is that he didn't do enough with the freshman. Although that was a nationwide epidemic this year.

More talent is on the way

THANK YOU DAN HURLEY

Reaction Score
Here’s my problem with the expectations people have. They are largely based on an extremely rare historical precedent in terms of outperforming expectations in the tourney.

UConn’s last regular season dominant team was 2009.

Our sweet spot window was about 10-15 years.

We were extremely blessed to win in ‘11 and ‘14 with teams that were capable surely, but not expected to win. In fact ‘14 almost died in the cradle.

Hurley has us back to that ‘11 & ‘14 level already without the miracle runs.

Those who believe we should be back at the 00’s think we deserve hall of fame level coaching and program building performance.

What programs performance as a benchmark would make people satisfied with Hurley right now?

Gonzaga? Still haven’t won the big one. Kentucky? Just got bounced a community college from Jersey. What’s the comp standard?

Nobody is satisfied with back to back first round exits but it’s not an endictment.

And for the Hurley is easy to prepare for crowd, what he does has us in the top 5 of net good shots vs our opponents.

Is there a better coaching statistic normalized for player performance than that?
In terms of good comps, would any of these suffice?

Cronin at UCLA
Musselman at Arkansas
Juwan Howard at Michigan
HDavis at UNC

These are all schools with titles or final 4 experience and serious hoops pedigree with a relatively new coach in a strong conference. If they can do it at their schools, then we should be able to do it too.

Instead, I think Hurley is more like these names… all of which are saying goodbye:
Shaka at Texas
White at Florida
Keatts at NC State
… or whoever’s halfway decent at some school that’s sniffed success before.

I like that stat though changing tack.

Reaction Score

Cronin at UCLA
Musselman at Arkansas
Juwan Howard at Michigan
HDavis at UNC

These are all schools with titles or final 4 experience and serious hoops pedigree with a relatively new coach in a strong conference. If they can do it at their schools, then we should be able to do it too.

Instead, I think Hurley is more like these names… all of which are saying goodbye:
Shaka at Texas
White at Florida
Keatts at NC State

All of the coaches in the first tier inherited programs already in a power conference and their programs were much better of than UConn when Hurley got here

Reaction Score
I’d like to know for some of the people here how long are you willing to give Hurley the benefit of the doubt without actually winning a single NCAA tournament game. What if this happens next year? We get bounced in the first round as a higher seed or don’t even make the tournament for the 3rd straight year ? How long are you going to use the excuse about the state of the program when Hurley took over? In year 5 of a rebuild there are NO more excuses. I haven’t seen anything from Hurley at this point that leads me to believe that he can take us back to being a contender. I hope I’m proven wrong but I just don’t see it. If this happens again next year we really need to evaluate the state of the program. I’d like to think we can find a coach for 3 mm per year that can win a single ncaa tournament game.

Reaction Score
All of the coaches in the first tier inherited programs already in a power conference and their programs were much better of than UConn when Hurley got here
That’s fair — or at least people can agree to disagree because it’s circular logic otherwise. It’s hard to find comps for this kind of thing.

The point that I’m trying to make is that UConn has a unique legacy similar to some of the blue bloods. Maybe Indiana winning a play in game in year one would be a better comp (just thought of that one). Hurleys not building this from scratch without any resources though. If he’s not getting it done after four years, he’ll have more shots, but those two losses were so god awful that it’s eviscerating his credibility for the future. If he wants to give it the old college try, he has to start by winning a game.

Handicapping for this years debacle, he probably needs to go to the second weekend to make up for the fact he didn’t win one this year.

This is the kind of steady progress pattern that some people expect to see from Hurley I think. It’s more realistic than those comps I gave before like Cronin or Hubert Davis, but we’ll see….

Year 3: in the tournament
Year 4: win a game
Year 5: win two games
Year 6: elite 8?

We’ll see…..

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Oh little @willie99 you're breaking my heart.

I throw around likes and dislikes at will because it's quicker and easier than engaging on every subject. And because it doesn't mean anything. But clearly it upsets your snowflake feelings, calling me out without tagging me and then running behind the block button and misspelling the word "ciao".

For the record, I didn't like you trashing our players in favor of the guy making $3 million a year who's supposed to be giving them the best chance to succeed. But go on, cry more.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Cronin at UCLA
Musselman at Arkansas
Juwan Howard at Michigan
HDavis at UNC

Shaka at Texas
White at Florida
Keatts at NC State

My analogy would be very different. I say the Hurley Haters remind me of

Cronin at Cincinnati
Dixon at Pittsburgh
Barnes at Texas

Where successful coaches were run out of town by people who didn't what they had

I find the hate for Hurley appalling, mind-blowing, unfathomable.... some combination thereof

PS: And I think we need to remember that we were playing great at the end of year two. The only reason he may not have won a post season game that year was because there were no post season games played that year

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Isaiah whaley became a legit player under Hurley. His growth was tangible.
Yes, but not sure if you recall him riding the pine until late in the season soph year, then finally getting a few minutes here and there until it became obvious that his motor and defense were indispensable. All at a time that a lot of ‘yarders wanted him run off.

You have to have vision for your players‘ capabilitit’s, sometimes changing how you play if those capabilities don’t match. (Ahem … stopping penetration by 1 player … cough)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I’d like to know for some of the people here how long are you willing to give Hurley the benefit of the doubt without actually winning a single NCAA tournament game. What if this happens next year? We get bounced in the first round as a higher seed or don’t even make the tournament for the 3rd straight year ? How long are you going to use the excuse about the state of the program when Hurley took over? In year 5 of a rebuild there are NO more excuses. I haven’t seen anything from Hurley at this point that leads me to believe that he can take us back to being a contender. I hope I’m proven wrong but I just don’t see it. If this happens again next year we really need to evaluate the state of the program. I’d like to think we can find a coach for 3 mm per year that can win a single ncaa tournament game.
I think for me the seat would get warm if we missed the tournament two years in a row. That’s my standard. Calhoun never did and I don’t expect top tier programs to. I expect to go to the tourney 3/4 or 4/5 years. I expect a sweet 16 or better run once in that cycle.

Once you’re in I work under the assumption that anything can happen.

It’s equally irrational to credit Mick Cronin with Johnny Juzang going off last year as it is to penalize Hurley for Teddy Allen.

I don’t disagree that there’s some questions raised about Hurley’s improv skills. But I’m willing to be patient and let him develop assuming the above is true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom