You don't want to hear this... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You don't want to hear this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I wish I liked baseball. Diamond Dogs, hehe that's mgsv.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this - their star 3B is the closest thing out there to the videotapes I've seen of Pete Rose. Outstanding contact hitter, uniform constantly covered in dirt, slides headfirst, always picking up the rest of the team. A lot of local talent on the team too - their three best players are from Sharon, Manchester, and Lakeville.

Even if it's not your speed, check 'em out if they make the tourney again.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If he is still around for next year, the season should just be cancelled. What's the point of another year with this guy? If he is around it is proof that the powers that be want football to return to its Yankee Conference roots.

You don't understand. The UCONN administration is making a secret push to join the Ivy League for all sports. What's happening now is all part of their master plan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This guy isn't going to tell a random fan about HR decisions. Hello defamation act! This is a conversation they're having behind closed doors. When the time is right the shoe will drop. We lose to Tulane and I believe you can expect that shoe to drop.

This story may or may not be true, but the quote is troubling. McHugh could have said platitudes or nothing. According to the source, "Diaco isn't going anywhere". That is stronger than "no comment ".

Reaction Score
Bought tickets today with exactly this in mind. I'll let you know how the plan goes.

This reminds me of Back to School...in all fairness to Mr. Melon here, it was a really big check.

Reaction Score
At least put a muzzle on Diaco. It does no one any good to listen to his alternate universe realities. Happy Horse Manure was a good description of his post game nonsense.
Lol

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This story may or may not be true, but the quote is troubling. McHugh could have said platitudes or nothing. According to the source, "Diaco isn't going anywhere". That is stronger than "no comment ".
Don't really care what was or was not said. I do know if he's yapping HR job status, legal action could take place if BD wanted to. None the less, we can all agree BD is not our future. Agree?

Reaction Score
McHugh is part of the old CT mafia whispering in the ears of decision makers for way too long. He hasn't done anything in 20 years other than be part of a failing business environment. At UConn he was instrumental in his friend PP being hired. He also backed Hathaway when he was under fire. Whatever Larry says do the opposite.

Reaction Score
McHugh is part of the old CT mafia whispering in the ears of decision makers for way too long. He hasn't done anything in 20 years other than be part of a failing business environment. At UConn he was instrumental in his friend PP being hired. He also backed Hathaway when he was under fire. Whatever Larry says do the opposite.

Blue dog, you may be right. He seems to be central to all the decisions that have brought a program to a deep abyss. Seems time for new blood. Someone with $3.4 million can be a persuasive influence in Suzie's ear......

But, where do you turn other than a powerball winner. (??).
We are a G5 program on a P5 budget and the monies are a hurdle as we move forward and the Big East settlement funds dry up.
If we were p5 (TV monies rich), he would be gone...............

Reaction Score
Not true about hathaway...when Hathaway was throwing a temper tantrum to get his raise while the NCAA was investigating the mens bb team McHugh made it known to Hathaway he was finished if any lack of institutional control charges were filed. Hathaway was protected from McHugh by Hogan and Austin. Besides trying to appease the CT HS coaches...the main person hathaway tried to appease by hiring P was McHugh...hoping it would get Larry off of his back. Once Herbst was hired it was only a matter of time before he was fired between Rachel Rubin and Larry McHugh quickly getting seats at her inner circle table.

Reaction Score
If true, our season ticket base will literally drop below 5,000. Our average attendance will be below 10,000. And we will have lost most of the fans for good I am afraid. If true, it may be the final nail in the UConn football coffin. I don't think we can recover from this one folks.
Not to mention, the impact it will have on recruiting and I would have to believe there will be some attrition from some returning players. There are going to be some talented RSfrosh returning on offense. If they're hand-cuffed by Diaco's contract, they have to seriously force his hand to change the staff (at least most of it). They need an OL coach, a QB coach, and a legit OC who can utilize the players we have returning. This team is not built to run a spread offense, this year. But with a number of young skill kids red-shirting, the opportunity to open up the offense is there. But, it has to be done after Saturday, so a new OC (with complete autonomy) can install a new system and identify recruits who will fit it.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
C'mon! McHugh is gonna spill the beans at a local meeting to some guy he's never met before? He was simply stating truth while saying nothing of import. As I said before 5 mil = bad optics. Feb 1 and 3.5 mil or whatever it is saves face UConn/SH/DB. Yesterday was not Feb 1 2017.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
C'mon! McHugh is gonna spill the beans at a local meeting to some guy he's never met before? He was simply stating truth while saying nothing of import. As I said before 5 mil = bad optics. Feb 1 and 3.5 mil or whatever it is saves face UConn/SH/DB. Yesterday was not Feb 1 2017.

While I am pessimistic that budget constraints will prevent the release of Diaco ahead of 1/1/18, the fact Benedict has been invisible and the weak effort (seems weak to me) on recruiting of late by the staff suggests that there is some reason to hope that this all ends on 1/1/17.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
While I am pessimistic that budget constraints will prevent the release of Diaco ahead of 1/1/18, the fact Benedict has been invisible and the weak effort (seems weak to me) on recruiting of late by the staff suggests that there is some reason to hope that this all ends on 1/1/17.
It wouldn't surprise me if the AD has been hunkered down over the last 3 games praying that UConn would get to 5 wins so he could justify Diaco's retention through 2017. The last 2 losses I believe have sealed his fate and a loss to Tulane would be the equivalent of Charlies Weiss's last stand against UConn in 2009.

Reaction Score
You all know I don't post rumors or conjecture on here. I try not to get into that crap. Well tonight I'm going to wade in the water.

I literally received a txt this afternoon from a fellow Husky supporter who was at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast this morning. Larry McHugh was there too. My contact asked him about Diaco and the reply was short and simple. "He's not going anywhere. $5 Million buy out makes it impossible."

Is it possible that Larry isn't "in the know?" Could be be wrong? Could it be a "head fake?"

Man, I hope!

Of course this is the truth ...

I can expect a big surprise - PowerBall like - but this is the most likely event.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Diaco coming back in 2017 just sends the signal to the fan base like us that Benedict doesn't understand how long and how far this program has fallen, and that we're sick of it. I get giving the guy a shot- but year 3 to be 3-8 going into the final week, including 2 shutouts in back-to-back weeks, that's horrible coaching. Period.

IF he returns, maybe they can find a way to blow up and rebuild the staff with some outside talent (maybe not affliated with or friends with Diaco!) to get this back on track. Religate Diaco to just being head coach and recruiting. IDK- this is a big maybe.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Diaco is brought back, we might as well drop football. Yes, it is that bad.

If $5M is too large of a buyout to get rid of the worst coach in FBS, then I'm sure $3.5M will be too large too. And $1.7M after that and so on and so on. Buckle up UConn fans, we're in for several more years of this dumpster fire of a program.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The cost of keeping Diaco is going to exceed the buyout amounts. Find a way to pay for the buyout now so that we don't incur bigger losses down the road.

Reaction Score
You'd have to make someone pretty miserable to get them to give up that kind of dough.
Give him a George Costanza office.

hqdefault.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The cost of keeping Diaco is going to exceed the buyout amounts. Find a way to pay for the buyout now so that we don't incur bigger losses down the road.

Yup. We all understand this. Unfortunately, the people who matter (Larry McHugh) do not. Bringing Diaco back means a substantial hit to season ticket sales for 2017 and beyond. 30K crowds will be the new purple unicorn of UConn attendance. Not to mention, the losses. Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh the losses!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If he's back then f it. I'm going full soccer. College football is too painful to watch when UConn has no hope.
Maybe me too. LOL. It is that bad now.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Did McHugh run it by the CT HS coaches first?

Reaction Score
Spoke to an old friend who was in the Miami AD for years in many capacities including acting AD. His view is that Diaco will be back but will have to make many staff changes. He says 4 years is the general standard unless there is a scandal or the guy is just awful. But getting to a bowl almost guaranteed that he isn't in the just awful category. The problem he will face is replacing the guys he needs to replace. Who wants to leave a job to join a guy on the hot seat? So your pool for assistants is limited. Almost a no win situation so we could see a Cummings back just because nobody wants the job. His view is to get a 1AA coordinator who has potential and who would take the gig to get into 1A. And he thinks Bob will be put on notice that a winning record is a must in 2017 and maybe he gets muzzled a bit too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom