doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Perfect defensive posture.

faris_tamu_large.jpg

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
We need to change some minds, open some eyes, about Kelly. She deserves to be voted an All American this year, so she can be honored with her name on the wall, where it belongs, while she is still an active player.

Is it something the BY can do?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We need to change some minds, open some eyes, about Kelly. She deserves to be voted an All American this year, so she can be honored with her name on the wall, where it belongs, while she is still an active player.

grass roots campaign? not a bad idea but doubtful it will get any traction. DT was one of the very few players to not only get AA honors but NPOY consideration in spite of only averaging something like 16 PPG. the people who make those awards are generally much more concerned with scoring, and 6.8 PPG will not get anyone's attention. maybe her senior year, if she can average over 10 PPG and continue with her great numbers in assists, steals, rebounds, etc. perhaps she might make the 3rd team or something.

Reaction Score
Futile, like nominating a lineman for the Heisman Trophy.

Reaction Score

On one of the TAMU fanboards I read a plaintive remark about Kelly Faris - "I wish we had a player like that."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Every team in the country should wish that, Wonk.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

On one of the TAMU fanboards I read a plaintive remark about Kelly Faris - "I wish we had a player like that."
Whoever said that gets kudos for being so perceptive. Anyone who knows basketball and watched that game without bias had to come away from it marveling at Kelly's toughness and all around great play.

I really believe that apart from her great stats, and really even more important, is the contagious effect her effort has on her team mates. Kelly IMO is the biggest reason for the intensity and 40 minutes of hell this team brings every game. And make no mistake, that has an equally strong and opposite effect on the opposition. Big time swagger for UConn.

Reaction Score
It just struck me which UConn men's player she most closely resembles in her on-court role and overall effect on the team -
Ricky Moore.

031698moore.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have always associated Kelly and Ricky Moore.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I have criticized her before, but at this point in the year I feel you can make a legitimate case that she is our best player. She even shot well against A&M.

Reaction Score

Calhoun would usually sic Moore on the opposing team's best scorer, which often led to the victim of the day having their worst scoring game of the season.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I have criticized her before, but at this point in the year I feel you can make a legitimate case that she is our best player. She even shot well against A&M.
You've seen the light! Seriously, good job with that post.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score

I think I have tried ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have always associated Kelly and Ricky Moore.
Interesting. I have always associated Kelly and Bruinball. :)

I think Kaleena is our best player, but I think Kelly was the best on Tuesday.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought that the A&M game was a breakthrough either for Kelly or for UConn fans (or both), because of the offensive talent that she showed. I can think of two plays in particular:

1. The steal of the inbounds pass, where after covering the receiver like a shutdown cornerback in football, she took the ball to the basket from mid-court, looked for someone to take a pass but found no one, so she put up a Maya-esque fallaway hook shot that fell right through the basket. If Maya had made that play, we would have said, "That's why she is the best player in college basketball." It reminded me of the Maya-to-Kalana basket against Stanford in the game in Hartford two years ago (after a touchdown pass into coverage from Kelly to Maya), which has been a highlight reel ever since.

2. The drive against Kelsey Bone, where she drove in at top speed, stopped on a dime, hesitated to get Bone off her feet, and then laid it up to draw a foul on Bone.

Those plays require not just effort and sound basketball decision-making, for which she has always been known, but actual athletic skill of a very high order. We knew she had great leaping ability for her size and great strength relative to her size and build, but I'm not sure we appreciated how much offensive basketball skill she actually has.

Now if she could only make her jump shot consistent ...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Have people forgotten about her game against ND? I'm not quite sure why there's the expectation for a player to not be who she is..... and be appreciated for what she brings day in and day out. :0)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Interesting. I have always associated Kelly and Bruinball. :)

I think Kaleena is our best player, but I think Kelly was the best on Tuesday.
MH I totally agree on everything you just said!

Ricky Moore :rolleyes: (great comparsion now that its mentioned but seriously.... always? Some of us dont even watch means basketball).

Kelly is solid, great glue player but dont insult KML.

Reaction Score
If Kelly could score at a mediocre level (12 PPG) I truly believe she'd be considered one of, if not the, best overall player in the country. I honestly think she's the best defensive player. (Other than Griner, but Griner is fully because of height)

But anyway, I think it's been pretty obvious who are best player has been. And she hasn't been mentioned yet.

Reaction Score
But anyway, I think it's been pretty obvious who are best player has been. And she hasn't been mentioned yet.

The one who gets the most minutes almost every game, which tells us all what Geno thinks. Go Bria.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
With five All America caliber players (yes, five), who needs to worry about which of them is best?

Stef, Tiff, Kelly, Bria, Kaleena.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Bria will be one of those players that Geno yells at for four years, but when she graduates he'll use her as the new standard for point guards.

Reaction Score
The one who gets the most minutes almost every game, which tells us all what Geno thinks. Go Bria.

Right, I don't know how the player who is thirdt in the team in field goal percentage, first in three point percentage, Free throw percentage, Assist, minutes, and second in scoring isn't the first player that comes to mind.

We have a lot of great players on our team. My fear is simply that Bria gets under-appreciated. We talk about everyone else, except the player that Geno demands the most from. (Which says enough.)

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
It just struck me which UConn men's player she most closely resembles in her on-court role and overall effect on the team -
Ricky Moore.

031698moore.jpg

If memory serves me correctly wasn't Rick Moore's first half offensive performance against Duke in the NC game perhaps the most telling factor in UCONN's win ???

Maybe Kelly can parallel this in the NC game this year ! Opposing teams do have a tendency to ignore her on offense (unfortunately sometimes with good reason)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If memory serves me correctly wasn't Rick Moore's first half offensive performance against Duke in the NC game perhaps the most telling factor in UCONN's win ???

Maybe Kelly can parallel this in the NC game this year ! Opposing teams do have a tendency to ignore her on offense (unfortunately sometimes with good reason)
Indeed it was and is one of the parallels I see. A great defensive player who could have great offensive breakouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom