You be Coach: What to Tell each Husky | The Boneyard

You be Coach: What to Tell each Husky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great coaching involves clear and simple communication. Let’s compliment each player on one thing they’ve improved this year and one thing they must work on next.
Rules:
  1. nothing complex: K.I.S.S.
  2. not strength and conditioning: every athlete always has to work on those
Saniya: complimenting: low turn-overs; now work on: taking your shot
Kia: complimenting: outside shooting; now work on: finishing drives in half-court game
Gabby: complimenting: mid-range shot; now work on: ball-handling turn overs
Lou: complimenting: curl jumper; now work on: rebounding
Pheesa: complimenting: rebounding; now work on: ball-handling turnovers
Crystal: complimenting: ball skills; now work on: guarding in man-to-man
Natalie: complimenting: footwork; now work on: holding on to ball in traffic
Molly: complimenting: shooting; now work on: ball-handling turn overs
Kyla: complimenting: rebounding; now work on: taking shot when open
Tierney: complimenting: getting Geno the eraser (right, Coco?); work on: the jumper

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd tell all players:

Each of you needs to remember what got you to 11-0, including against top 10-15 competition, and simply do more of it. We have an incredible opportunity ahead of us; seize the winter and beginning of spring!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Kia--good leadership, bad number of missed layups
Saniya- good defense, decline in TO, bad lack of mid range jumper
Lou--good passing, bad risk taking on defense
Gabby-good versatility, bad too many TO
Napheesa--good rebounding, bad too many dumb fouls
Kyla-good improvement in footwork, bad can't make an outside shot
Nat--good staying out of foul trouble, bad falling away on post shots
Molly-good on the ball defense, bad creation of shot off dribble
Crystal--good post feeds, bad TOs and fouls

Reaction Score
Great coaching involves clear and simple communication. Let’s compliment each player on one thing they’ve improved this year and one thing they must work on next.
Rules:
Kia: complimenting: outside shooting; now work on: finishing drives in half-court game
Tierney: complimenting: getting Geno the eraser (right, Coco?); work on: the jumper
This is a really nice idea. And I believe most of your insights are correct. However; It is really difficult to compliment Natalie on footwork. Her feet are as awkward as her hands. I think the appropriate compliment for her is; effort. She is giving it her all. She just doesn't have much talent. If she were 6' 0", she wouldn't start for the University of Hartford. And it is a stretch to compliment Molly on her shooting. I think she has one three and one layup in all her minutes played. Her appropriate compliment is; defense. You are spot on with respect to Kyla; she takes a shot; misses, and never shoots again. She needs to develop confidence in her offense. On to Maryland....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saniya: complimenting: showing up when most needed; now work on: as @UcMiami would say just F.. it, I going to go for it.
Kia: complimenting: consistent defensive tenacity; now work on: ticky tac perimeter fouls
Gabby: complimenting: Post defense; now work on: Long range Jumper
Lou: complimenting: Making contested shots; now work on: passing out of the high post especially
Pheesa: complimenting: FG % ; now work on: Pushing the ball up court after rebound.
Crystal: complimenting: Exceptional vision; now work on: ticky tac perimeter fouls
Natalie: complimenting:showing up when most needed ; now work on: Finishing at the basket
Molly: complimenting: on Ball Defense ; now work on: Ball handling and initiating the offense Plenty of minutes available at the PG position.
Kyla: complimenting: Basketball Savvy ; now work on: Being ready when your number is called.
Tierney: complimenting: Being a great teammate ; work on: work on endurance so you can get 20 minutes of burn on Senior night and hit the last basket of a championship season for UCONN.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is a really nice idea. And I believe most of your insights are correct. However; It is really difficult to compliment Natalie on footwork. Her feet are as awkward as her hands. I think the appropriate compliment for her is; effort. She is giving it her all. She just doesn't have much talent. If she were 6' 0", she wouldn't start for the University of Hartford.

I knew it! Reincarnation is possible! I see it now -- right here! An old dead poster named BBall&*#%, infamous Boneyard critic of Maria Conlon, has come back to life to bash Natalie incessantly!

Old 'Yarders know when an apparition appears!:eek:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I knew it! Reincarnation is possible! I see it now -- right here! An old dead poster named BBall&*#%, infamous Boneyard critic of Maria Conlon, has come back to life to bash Natalie incessantly!

Easy to bash away. Harder to watch the video closely enough and see the improvement.

Reaction Score
Kia---Keep on doing what you're doing. Don't be so hard on yourself.\
KLS-- Inside the circle shooting--- know when to shoot , when to pass
Gabby--post play----- keep on--keeping on
Napheesa--post defense, move out and take that 3 once in a while.
Sanyia---Calmness---take the damn shot when you have it
Natalie---Rebounding---Pass more quickly and avoid being surrounded by ants.
Danger--Seeing the Court--- know when to speed, when to slow, know who is catching your pass i.e
where to put it , how fast you can pass to them.
Molly--Court sense---Always look to make an immediate difference when you enter the game
Kyla--- ???????------- Defense, shooting,
Lawlor- Great teammate--- same as Molly

Reaction Score
Rules:

I just re-read your intro again for this thread---interesting inconsistency ---you are asking Byers to use their intelligence and knowledge of the players ---
And then you say K.I. S. S. --I suggest the last S is inconsistent---
No complaint, insult, knock--it just struck me humorously---you of all people --

Reaction Score
This is a really nice idea. And I believe most of your insights are correct. However; It is really difficult to compliment Natalie on footwork. Her feet are as awkward as her hands. I think the appropriate compliment for her is; effort. She is giving it her all. She just doesn't have much talent. If she were 6' 0", she wouldn't start for the University of Hartford. And it is a stretch to compliment Molly on her shooting. I think she has one three and one layup in all her minutes played. Her appropriate compliment is; defense. You are spot on with respect to Kyla; she takes a shot; misses, and never shoots again. She needs to develop confidence in her offense. On to Maryland....

It is difficult for me to believe that someone comes here and takes the time to write that one of the players is essentially talentless. Could not disagree more. No, she is not Dolson,. and never will be. But to hold her to that standard would be grossly unfair. Natalie has a really sweet short-midrange jumper that, because of her height, she can take and has taken in traffic. She provides decent minutes in the middle that absolutely no one else on the team can provide. I mean, when one of the Big Four need a break, who're you going to put up front, Kyla? Maybe next year but not now, at least not when the game is in dispute. I don't know the statistic, but it seems to me she does pretty well at the free throw line, too.

Talentless? Nope.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

It is amazing what gets someone in trouble here and then someone lands a bag of horse manures and it sits here for all to see. Amazing.

Reaction Score
It is difficult for me to believe that someone comes here and takes the time to write that one of the players is essentially talentless. Could not disagree more. No, she is not Dolson,. and never will be. But to hold her to that standard would be grossly unfair. Natalie has a really sweet short-midrange jumper that, because of her height, she can take and has taken in traffic. She provides decent minutes in the middle that absolutely no one else on the team can provide. I mean, when one of the Big Four need a break, who're you going to put up front, Kyla? Maybe next year but not now, at least not when the game is in dispute. I don't know the statistic, but it seems to me she does pretty well at the free throw line, too.

Talentless? Nope.
This is exactly right. I admit, I was not a huge fan of Butler coming into the season - I wanted Dolson (who is one of my favorite UConn players of all time, not for her skills but for her personality and work ethic) and it took me a bit to realize that not only were we not going to get the second coming of Stef, but also that we don't need Nat to be Stef. She will never be Stef. Stef is Stef, Nat is Nat. To compare the two throws Butler so far under the bus and it isn't even remotely fair to her. She has provided the starters with relief minutes, she has improved on many aspects of her game, and she's giving some of the best effort. While she appears to be easily frustrated and doesn't have the confidence yet that I think we'd all like to see from her, she's improving. The expectations some have for her will likely never be met, and they will likely always be disappointed. That's not on Nat - that's on them. I commend Butler for her improvements, her dedication, and her effort. We need her, whether people want to believe it or not.

To stay a bit more on topic!
What I would tell the team: Listen to the wisdom of Geno, CD, Shea, and Marissa. They're making the big bucks, not me!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A big part of winning is confidence. With this team you need to have the girls have fun and smile. Smiling for girls takes the edge off and rids negative thinking. Im not to concerned about this game if UConn plays their game they will be up double digits most of the game. MD makes alot of turnovers. UConns key all season will be to stay out of foul trouble. Lou and Collier can come score in so many ways. Kia Gabby and Saniya can cause alot of problems on defense. This will be a battle. UConn by double digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom