OT: - Yikes! USA men do not medal in hoops World Cup | The Boneyard

OT: Yikes! USA men do not medal in hoops World Cup

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
France takes them out this morning 89-79. No gold medal....no medal at all. The team does qualify for Tokyo Olympics.
Many stars didn't go....lots of good players did....including our own Kemba Walker.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France takes them out this morning 89-79. No gold medal....no medal at all. The team does qualify for Tokyo Olympics.
Many stars didn't go....lots of good players did....including our own Kemba Walker.

Kemba had a terrible game. Foul trouble. Turnovers. Blocks by Gobert, missed critical FT'S. Donavan had a great game through 3Q but the team tried to firce everything into the post in 4Q and in international play, you dont get those fouls.

Reaction Score
Maybe this will spur the big names to come out for the Olympics.

Reaction Score
That was always the plan.
This was a nothing tournament and wasn’t worth it time wise for most big stars. Had nothing to do with their Olympic interest.

Maybe this will spur the big names to come out for the Olympics.

Reaction Score
This was a nothing tournament and wasn’t worth it time wise for most big stars.
That is a B.S. reason. Pride, representing your country. Stars from other countries came to play. Kudos to kemba for coming to play, to me he is the quintessential NBA player, tons of heart, talent, hard work, etc.

Not sure you will get the MVP level NBA level players (Kawai, Steph, Lebron) but
the next level below should want to represent the USA.
And why not? I have friends from France, Serbia, Greece, China, Turkey, etc. and I won't quote them because it will just anger people even though the quotes are true, but they had a lot to say about some of the best not coming to play. We saw allstars from other countries coming to play, so...? Kemba was really the only high level talent that came to play for the usa.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This was a nothing tournament and wasn’t worth it time wise for most big stars. Had nothing to do with their Olympic interest.

Not sure you will get the MVP level NBA level players (Kawai, Steph, Lebron) but
the next level below should want to represent the USA.

It would be nice if Donavan Mitchell who played so well (and Maybe Kemba Walker) might get an easier invite onto the Olympic Team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is a B.S. reason. Pride, representing your country. Stars from other countries came to play. Kudos to kemba for coming to play, to me he is the quintessential NBA player, tons of heart, talent, hard work, etc.

And why not? I have friends from France, Serbia, Greece, China, Turkey, etc. and I won't quote them because it will just anger people even though the quotes are true, but they had a lot to say about some of the best not coming to play. We saw allstars from other countries coming to play, so...? Kemba was really the only high level talent that came to play for the usa.
It goes beyond the players. Many NBA franchises are lukewarm on top players competing in FIBA competitions. With 10’s of millions of $$ invested in their top players, the last thing teams want is to lose top players for the regular season due to an injury incurred during an off-season competition.

The Paul George incident is front and center for many NBA coaches & GM’s. Back in 2014, the Indiana Pacers star player broke his leg while playing in an exhibition game for USA Basketball, costing George and the Pacers an entire season. In addition, George has never been quite the same player since the injury.

This year the Boston Celtics sent 4 players to the FIBA competition. Both Tatum and Smart were injured during the tournament. While both injuries are hopefully minor, you have to wonder if Boston will ever again commit that many players to an international competition all at the same time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The rest of the world takes the FIBA World Cup very seriously. Sending other than the best American players will produce results like this. I believe the same would happen if USA Basketball's WNT sent less than its best players to the World Cup or Olympics. We saw how over-matched Plum and Clarendon were at their first World Cup last year. These international competitions are intense.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If USA was part of FIBA Europe, they wouldn't make the Olympics. Serbia which many consider has the most talent besides USA didn't make the Olympics.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Serbia will play in one of the four wild card qualifying tournaments to be held the month before the Olympics. Win and they go on to Tokyo.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I knew that and I do expect Serbia to make the Olympics. However, nothing is guaranteed. I also expect Canada to get one of the last qualifying slots for the Olympics. They are more of a long shot then Serbia.

:rolleyes:
Serbia will play in one of the four wild card qualifying tournaments to be held the month before the Olympics. Win and they go on to Tokyo.

Reaction Score
US, Australia, Spain, France and Argentina are qualified for Tokyo so it would be a major upset for Serbia to lose a six-team tournament where none of those other teams are playing. But, yeah, at that point, it only takes one bad game. Note that the Serbs qualified for the Rio Games through the wild card tournament as well.

Canada unfortunately had an even worse attendance from its pros than the US. Only two players on the World Cup team are in the NBA, with notable absentees like RJ Barrett and Andrew Wiggins. Maybe the coach, Nick Nurse of the Raptors, can change some minds by next summer but more likely the streak of not qualifying in the Olympics since 2000 will continue.

Reaction Score
I wonder how close American women are getting to parity, especially in the next couple of years when the former greats, including D and other UConn greats, leave the stage.

Seems to me that a lot of fine overseas talent is coming up: Emma Meeseman, Astou Ndour. Many others?

Reaction Score
I wonder how close American women are getting to parity, especially in the next couple of years when the former greats, including D and other UConn greats, leave the stage.

Seems to me that a lot of fine overseas talent is coming up: Emma Meeseman, Astou Ndour. Many others?
You still have the 2 best players in the world in EDD, and Stewie for a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom