Yet Another Realignment Strategy in the Wake of COVID | The Boneyard

Yet Another Realignment Strategy in the Wake of COVID

Reaction Score
From Pat Forde at SI -- Ten conferences of 12 schools organized regionally . . .

Realigning America: A Radical Reimagining of the NCAA Landscape

1593461208084.png

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Can someone tell me which programs he dumped from FBS? I dont feel like making the effort.....moreover maybe none of us should care because well its Pat Forde again.

A 120-school ecosystem, with 11 current FBS members relegated to FCS and one elevated from that level. Congratulations to North Dakota State; condolences to UTEP, Texas State, UTSA, South Alabama, Louisiana-Monroe, Bowling Green, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Coastal Carolina, Troy and Liberty.

Reaction Score
I just skimmed through the article, realignment ideas are always compelling. I will always maintain that us UConn people are the most educated on realignment because of everything that went down over the last 10 years. Myself, along with many of you probably spent a lot of late nights reading through all these realignment threads on this board. In his theory, what happens to the basketball only schools?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'll bet many of us have toyed with this kind of realignment over the past dozen years or so. I know I have. In fact, I think 12 conferences of 10 teams makes even more sense to me. i.e. 9 conference football games/3 OOC; 18 conference basketball games/12 OOC. That's nitpicking. I'd love to see something like this.

What was interesting about it to me is that, if you added up the profile rank of the teams in each conference, certain things come out. For example, the "best" overall conference is the Pac 12, (total profile of 530); the "worst" is MIdeast (including Michigan, OSU, and MSU (833). Yankee is 4th (710). Sun Belt (with LSU, Auburn, and Bama is 8th. Of course, that's overall conference, not best teams.

Long term, I think it would balance out recruiting and competition too. Let's do it.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not perfect, but I'd take this in a heartbeat:
View attachment 55928
Of course the real question is why would 'the haves' give up what they have?

Well, given that this is a radical change being expressed by this hypothetical, the balance of probabilities suggests it’s a situation where no one has any choice.

Reaction Score
Penn State would be a big fish in a little pond in the Yankee conference. Trade buffalo to the Mid-American conference for West Virginia and I would take that conference in a heartbeat. Nice regional rivalries that are easy to get to by car or very short flights.

Reaction Score
Penn State would be a big fish in a little pond in the Yankee conference. Trade buffalo to the Mid-American conference for West Virginia and I would take that conference in a heartbeat. Nice regional rivalries that are easy to get to by car or very short flights.
Maybe keep Buffalo and get rid of BC.... Both have about the same success in March over the past decade or 15 years....

Reaction Score
Not perfect, but I'd take this in a heartbeat:
View attachment 55928
Of course the real question is why would 'the haves' give up what they have?
The paradigm could shift, it just depends how much. Travel, crowds, tv. If some variables shift enough, the programs may not have a choice. Not likely, but makes much more sense.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
that would be an awful basketball conference
I don't know. US Cuse and Maryland is a decent upper tier.

Pitt Temple, Rutgers and Penn State is an solid middle.

The rest bring up the rear.

Not great but workable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom