Yet another massive headache for the NCAA... (link) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Yet another massive headache for the NCAA... (link)

Reaction Score
Option 1) replace the TAs with professors
Option 2) eliminate summer and winter sessions (we've seen this with schools eliminating sports to comply with Title IX and due to budgetary concerns).
Option 3) TAs attempt to unionize and collectively bargain

I'm not sure who exactly you're referring to when you say "TAs bring in even more money", but it can't be the student-athletes.

With the Big Ten’s recently announced additions of USC and UCLA, the new media deal is expected to bring “more than $7 billion” to the conference, per ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg. Furthermore, Rittenberg said the conference is expected to distribute “$80 million-$100 million per year to each of its 16 members.”
??

Summer and winter sessions are huge profit makers for schools. WHy are we eliminating them? Schools are paying $3k per class to the employees, that's below minimum wage.

What are you trying to accomplish?

That link you gave shows the athletes are making less than $900k per athlete which is what I calculated above. If you factor in expenses of coaching salaries, trainers, support, travel, stadiums, etc., it's much much much less.

Reaction Score
Summer and winter sessions are huge profit makers for schools. WHy are we eliminating them? Schools are paying $3k per class to the employees, that's below minimum wage.
We aren't eliminating them. You're talking about huge headaches and arguing TAs should be paid like athletes if athletes are employees. There are options to eliminate the huge headaches, or simply deal with the changing landscape. Schools are not required to use TAs, are they?
What are you trying to accomplish?
Nothing. You?
That link you gave shows the athletes are making less than $900k per athlete which is what I calculated above. If you factor in expenses of coaching salaries, trainers, support, travel, stadiums, etc., it's much much much less.

You wrote:
"You have students, TAs, that bring even more money to the university,
and they don't receive this compensation either."

More money than who? $900k in revenues < $80M. TAs have every right (for now) to work together to improve their working conditions/wages.

The link I gave shows what the athletes are bringing in, $80-$100M/year in media rights alone. I think that's slightly higher than the $900k being brought in by TAs. I didn't mention ticket sales, the revenues generated from donations (required and voluntary), etc.

If the courts don't buy the NCAA's argument, it is still exponentially easier to manage 40 TAs with no NCAA oversight, than it is roughly 800 student-athletes with NCAA oversight, NIL collectives, and Title IX (which I support) ramifications. It is quite easy to call the theater production an unpaid internship, those still exist, and are perfectly legal.

My opinion remains this isn't the massive headache you're making it out to be.

Reaction Score
edit: a very small number of athletes bring in profits.
revenue =/= profit.
bingo. The Dartmouth case was decided on the fact that the school sells merchandise not that the sport sells tickets. Note that a lot of these rulings would mean that the chess club should be employees and any intermural club sports (those that play other schools) would also be employees

Reaction Score
We aren't eliminating them. You're talking about huge headaches and arguing TAs should be paid like athletes if athletes are employees. There are options to eliminate the huge headaches, or simply deal with the changing landscape. Schools are not required to use TAs, are they?

Nothing. You?

You wrote:
"You have students, TAs, that bring even more money to the university,
and they don't receive this compensation either."

More money than who? $900k in revenues < $80M. TAs have every right (for now) to work together to improve their working conditions/wages.

The link I gave shows what the athletes are bringing in, $80-$100M/year in media rights alone. I think that's slightly higher than the $900k being brought in by TAs. I didn't mention ticket sales, the revenues generated from donations (required and voluntary), etc.

If the courts don't buy the NCAA's argument, it is still exponentially easier to manage 40 TAs with no NCAA oversight, than it is roughly 800 student-athletes with NCAA oversight, NIL collectives, and Title IX (which I support) ramifications. It is quite easy to call the theater production an unpaid internship, those still exist, and are perfectly legal.

My opinion remains this isn't the massive headache you're making it out to be.
$900k per TA

The intersession stuff was only there to show you how much revenue they generate.

Not a discussion if it should be happening.

If universities got rid of TAs for tenured faculty, costs would skyrocket.

But again, $900k PER TA.

Reaction Score
edit: a very small number of athletes bring in revenue.
But yet have a very high overhead cost. Only about 15-20 universities actually profit from their AD.

That said, I wonder what percent of universities actually have an operating profit these days?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom