Yet another massive headache for the NCAA... (link) | The Boneyard

Yet another massive headache for the NCAA... (link)

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

And if athletes are employees, why aren't theater students employees?

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

Isn’t there some line about knowing a society is headed downhill when the number of lawyers exceeds the number of engineers?

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

Good point. Yeah, they don't make as much for the school as sports, not even close, but tickets to school performances cost money and the students get nothing. Also, to say that theatre and Orchestra groups are student led??? Ummmm...what? If my theatre friends in college were controlling the performances, they'd be doing 'Hair' instead of 'the cherry orchard' and the nude scene would NOT get cut.

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

Sure. Except Theater students can't and don't generate millions in revenue for anyone

Reaction Score
I think this will backfire on the majority of athletes in the long run. The mid/low majors are going to make sure that all their players are there "for fun" and not "work" (however that gets defined). Or they'll cut the sports or athletic departments altogether to be in compliance with Title IX. They can't afford to pay tens of thousands of dollars to each athlete, even if they can net the salary against scholarships.

I think you'll start to see more pressure from non-athlete students to drop sports. If I'm a commuter going to Fairleigh Dickinson, why do I want to pay any more in tuition so the school can have a crappy baseball team that nobody but the team and family care about?

Reaction Score
Good point. Yeah, they don't make as much for the school as sports, not even close, but tickets to school performances cost money and the students get nothing. Also, to say that theatre and Orchestra groups are student led??? Ummmm...what? If my theatre friends in college were controlling the performances, they'd be doing 'Hair' instead of 'the cherry orchard' and the nude scene would NOT get cut.
But... this is all competitive athletes. It's not going to be only football and basketball kids get paid.

And, all these schools are now going to have to bump up their pay to TAs to. If TAs were paid an hourly rate, their take home pay would skyrocket.

Reaction Score
I think this will backfire on the majority of athletes in the long run. The mid/low majors are going to make sure that all their players are there "for fun" and not "work" (however that gets defined). Or they'll cut the sports or athletic departments altogether to be in compliance with Title IX. They can't afford to pay tens of thousands of dollars to each athlete, even if they can net the salary against scholarships.

I think you'll start to see more pressure from non-athlete students to drop sports. If I'm a commuter going to Fairleigh Dickinson, why do I want to pay any more in tuition so the school can have a crappy baseball team that nobody but the team and family care about?
But Chuck your final paragraph is how the vast majority of D1 sports already operates. That $750-1k a year fee subsidizes the athletic department.

Congress could've solved all of this by forcing coaching/AD caps and allowing antitrust. I suspect that wouldn't hold.

The only sane solution at this point is to professionalize college sports.

Reaction Score
Isn’t there some line about knowing a society is headed downhill when the number of lawyers exceeds the number of engineers?
If we go back to Renaissance Italy, it's financiers. That was the biggest innovative and technological revolution in human history. Within a hundred years, they were awash in financiers. People were peddling shares on the streets.

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

I've said the same thing before and posters freaked out.

Making them employees will be a disaster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On the other hand there is a line that goes a town that's too small to support one attorney can always support two.

caw

Reaction Score
Athletes are employees.

If they are employees, should they get scholarships?

Also, theater is not exactly an NCAA thing.

Reaction Score
If they are employees, should they get scholarships?

Also, theater is not exactly an NCAA thing.
The court is looking at anything run by university staff that requires students to spend long hours and which charges admission.

The scholarship question is excellent. Isn't that compensation?

Reaction Score
How is this a headache for the ncaa? Are theater students athletes? Does the ncaa over see theatrical productions?

Reaction Score
How is this a headache for the ncaa? Are theater students athletes? Does the ncaa over see theatrical productions?
The NCAA oversees amateur athletics. If athletes are workers, the NCAA can't legislate anything. This is all state law.

So, for instance, Texas just got rid of their overtime law where overtime workers receive overtime pay.

How can the NCAA step in and tell U. Texas what to do when it comes to its employees when Texas state law is entirely different than, say, New York state law.

In New York, students will receive more pay for longer hours. In Alabama, where 12 year olds can work in dangerous factories, anything goes. And the NCAA can't say anything about it

Reaction Score
The NCAA oversees amateur athletics. If athletes are workers, the NCAA can't legislate anything. This is all state law.

So, for instance, Texas just got rid of their overtime law where overtime workers receive overtime pay.

How can the NCAA step in and tell U. Texas what to do when it comes to its employees when Texas state law is entirely different than, say, New York state law.

In New York, students will receive more pay for longer hours. In Alabama, where 12 year olds can work in dangerous factories, anything goes. And the NCAA can't say anything about it
State employees. Not all employees.

Late on June 28, 2024, Judge Sean D. Jordan of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, temporarily blocked the United States Department of Labor (DOL) overtime exemption rule set to take effect July 1, 2024 – but only for government employees working for the state of Texas.

Theoretically this could impact TX State universities, but not private ones. Also, aren't athletes contract workers rather than hourly or salaried who would be paid overtime? Why are we worried about a pay gap between NY and TX instead of between TX and TX? All athletes aren't compensated the same anyway. This isn't comparable to a union where all employees at a certain step level are getting the same pay regardless of performance.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I think the argument is the ncaa shouldn't oversee any school/student relationship.

My guess is the courts are saying each individual should be able to decide his/her own worth to a school.

Reaction Score
State employees. Not all employees.

Late on June 28, 2024, Judge Sean D. Jordan of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, temporarily blocked the United States Department of Labor (DOL) overtime exemption rule set to take effect July 1, 2024 – but only for government employees working for the state of Texas.

Theoretically this could impact TX State universities, but not private ones. Also, aren't athletes contract workers rather than hourly or salaried who would be paid overtime? Why are we worried about a pay gap between NY and TX instead of between TX and TX? All athletes aren't compensated the same anyway. This isn't comparable to a union where all employees at a certain step level are getting the same pay regardless of performance.
The point is that the NCAA doesn't make the rules anymore. As for public vs. private, it's all workers. The lawsuit was brought by a private company. So even though the judge temporarily blocked it for gov't workers, the ones seeking relief in the actual suit were a private company.

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t matter…what about every other athlete in non revenue sports. I must say, I’m really impressed the damage done to college athletics under Emmert’s tenure. Yet he retired a wealthy man.
Pretty much Emmert’s MO - create a mess and leave before the s—- hits that fan. He’s made a career of it and successfully so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom