Yet another cooper flag post.. | The Boneyard

Yet another cooper flag post..

awy

Reaction Score
there's a bit of putting the instagram fame ahead of improving his game in the cooper decision. he'll be fine and uconn will be more than fine, but a lot of these families want to count their superstar chickens before they hatch.

Reaction Score
I had it wrong then. I thought it was Orlovsky’s white whale
IMG_4798.jpeg

Reaction Score
there's a bit of putting the instagram fame ahead of improving his game in the cooper decision. he'll be fine and uconn will be more than fine, but a lot of these families want to count their superstar chickens before they hatch.

Oh look, another poster who wants to take a shot at Flagg since he didn't pick UConn. Just a stupid take.

Cooper and his family are doing everything right from what we know. He doesn't do a ton of interviews looking for fame. He played for the hometown AAU team. He's a pass and defense first player and a great teammate from everything I've seen and heard reported.

Just because he didn't pick UConn doesn't mean he's a horrible kid. If he WAS a walking red flag looking for fame, we never would have recruited him to begin with. Have you learned nothing about the kind of recruit Hurley targets?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh look, another poster who wants to take a shot at Flagg since he didn't pick UConn. Just a stupid take.

Cooper and his family are doing everything right from what we know. He doesn't do a ton of interviews looking for fame. He played for the hometown AAU team. He's a pass and defense first player and a great teammate from everything I've seen and heard reported.

Just because he didn't pick UConn doesn't mean he's a horrible kid. If he WAS a walking red flag looking for fame, we never would have recruited him to begin with.
I just hope he’ll regret his choice next April.

awy

Reaction Score

Just because he didn't pick UConn doesn't mean he's a horrible kid. If he WAS a walking red flag looking for fame, we never would have recruited him to begin with. Have you learned nothing about the kind of recruit Hurley targets?
I didn't say he's a horrible kid at all. he'll be fine. it's just that the duke pitch and program branding is definitely leaning into the nba superstar and social media presence stuff.

Reaction Score
How was etiquette violated? What etiquette? Hurley's comment was about his love of Billy Joel. He was completely respectful of Cooper and his family. Kind of a dumb article, IMO. Hurley knew that landing Flagg was a long shot. Maybe if it happened after the second Natty the odds would have been better, but Flagg made his choice known and Hurley accepted it. No bad mouthing, and no sour grapes.

Reaction Score
Cooper is a good guy. I hope his team’s season ends in early March. Hurley name gets the clicks, even when it is a stupid article, but this is the author, so…

MATT GILES

Matt Giles is the editor and publisher of FanNation's Blue Devil Country and All Tar Heels, covering the Duke Blue Devils and UNC Tar Heels on SI.com.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cooper chose one of the best schools in the world.

He chose a less experienced coach with a strong start to his career. 23 ACC champs and 24 Elite 8. At the time of commitment, only the 23 ACC championship. Time will tell how good of a coach he is and will be. No question he gets the horses to compete.

Reaction Score

He chose a less experienced coach with a strong start to his career. 23 ACC champs and 24 Elite 8. At the time of commitment, only the 23 ACC championship. Time will tell how good of a coach he is and will be. No question he gets the horses to compete.
He choose a basketball program that doesn't exist.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I just hope he’ll regret his choice next April.
I don't think championships was a thing for Coop. The $$$ bag was, apparently.

Reaction Score
His boyhood dream school growing up in a New England state 1000 miles from Duke was Duke. So bizarre but it is what is. Otherwise he'd be at Storrs. Now we root against him as we do every Duke player.
There's no shame in rooting against him - in fact you should.

Reaction Score

Yeah, he chose "one of the best schools in the country" so he could do the one and done.....I'm sure he'll come back some day and finish his 3 remaining years....when donkey's fly-

Reaction Score
Cooper would have fit in perfectly here with this year's team.. Big mistake going to a Duke team with unproven coach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I loved how Hurley tied in the Flagg recruiting and missing the Billy Joel concert as a factor in deciding not to miss the concert a second time. Lesson learned. No matter how important something is personal pleasure should not be denied. Certainly some people not familiar with northeast wry humor will come away with that impression.

Then how do they explain his turning down an additional twenty million dollars. The answer is simple. He gives 110 percent commitment to his job as head coach. He values his players and coaches, the UConn men’s bb program, the university, and UConn’s fans. The Flagg episode is another demonstration of Hurley’s commitment to the program. Recruiting is more important than personal pleasure.

Cooper and his family almost changed their minds regarding a life long dream because of Hurley and the coaching staff. That they didn’t should not be held against them. A Duke homer will naturally spin this story as a Hurley negative. UConn fans should be countering this narrative and not run away from it.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Cooper is a good guy. I hope his team’s season ends in early March. Hurley name gets the clicks, even when it is a stupid article, but this is the author, so…

MATT GILES

Matt Giles is the editor and publisher of FanNation's Blue Devil Country and All Tar Heels, covering the Duke Blue Devils and UNC Tar Heels on SI.com.
Another wannabe columnist without talent and/or access to proper editing. Don't know whether to blame it on the rotting carcass of SI or the Duke fandom, but either way, his writing is crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom