Yesterday's News? - Think Again | The Boneyard

Yesterday's News? - Think Again

Reaction Score
Most of the national media & ESPN have been woken from their slumber on covering Paige Bueckers. ESPN, in particular hitched their wagon early onto Caitlin Clark, and understandably so. She entered the season the season as the face of women's basketball. Then, as the season progressed, Paige & UConn went relatively unnoticed as the narrative revolved around SC, JuJu Watkins, Hannah Hidalgo, other members of the freshmen class, and whether Clark & Angel Reese would meet up again for a NC contest, Part 2.

For the casual sports fan, numbers tell the story. Clark, Watkins and Hidalgo were putting up huge numbers, and to some, Paige was still good, but not equal to some of the new superstars. Part of the issue is that Paige is a team-first player who is not consumed by personal stats, other than not committing turnovers. Rarely, does she look to score once the game was in hand, preferring her teammates take the mantle.

There is limited air time for promotion, so a select few are focused on. SC's unexpected dominance, the stellar play of freshman players like Audi Crooks, Madison Booker, Mikaylah Williams & Milaysia Fulwiley, and most of all, Caitlin Clark's pursuit of the all-time scoring record, left time for little else.

While this class of freshmen is indeed special, they have a way to go to compare to the class of 3 years ago. A class that includes Clark, Bueckers, Cameron Brink, Angel Reese & Karmila Cardoso. One from this group has won the last 3 NC's and 3 NPOY awards (I'm assuming Clark will win), with a strong likelihood that one of them will win this year's NC too. Recency bias sometimes makes us forget.

Now that the Sweet 16 has been finalized, ESPN must be salivating at the star power for the games ahead. None are shining brighter than Paige. Since their loss to SC, Paige has found a higher gear. In her last 11 games, all wins, she has shot 107-196 from the field for a 54.6%, while upping her shots per game to almost 18 and averaging 26 pts per game. In the postseason, she is 55-102, 53.9%, averaging 28.6, 9.2 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 3.2 steals, 2.8 blocks, 1.6 turnovers, while committing only 2 fouls in 5 games.

Numbers only tell half the story for Paige. She is that rare player that makes everybody else better. She's cool as a cucumber and a steadying presence for the 4 freshmen in their 7-person rotation. She has the ability to adjust her game based on how the opposing team is guarding her. One game, she is posting up, another, she is driving to the basket more. Last night against Syracuse, she found the hole in their zone around the foul line that she continuously exploited. Many players can hit a basket when wide open, but the great ones make contested shots regularly. Paige seldom forces a shot, and I am hard pressed to remember when she's had a shot blocked. Her midrange game, a thing of beauty was on full display against Syracuse.

While SC is the prohibitive favorite and without a discernible weakness, the Sweet 16 offers up some exciting match-ups. The way Paige is playing, anything is possible. Should UConn get past Duke, an Elite Eight contest with USC, featuring the new sensation against the recently rediscovered one would be mandatory viewing. Should UConn come out on top & Caitlin Clark and her Iowa team survive their gauntlet, basketball fans would be treated to an epic showdown, featuring two generational talents. I wonder how much ESPN would pay for this scenario to unfold.

Reaction Score
Most of the national media & ESPN have been woken from their slumber on covering Paige Bueckers. ESPN, in particular hitched their wagon early onto Caitlin Clark, and understandably so. She entered the season the season as the face of women's basketball. Then, as the season progressed, Paige & UConn went relatively unnoticed as the narrative revolved around SC, JuJu Watkins, Hannah Hidalgo, other members of the freshmen class, and whether Clark & Angel Reese would meet up again for a NC contest, Part 2.

For the casual sports fan, numbers tell the story. Clark, Watkins and Hidalgo were putting up huge numbers, and to some, Paige was still good, but not equal to some of the new superstars. Part of the issue is that Paige is a team-first player who is not consumed by personal stats, other than not committing turnovers. Rarely, does she look to score once the game was in hand, preferring her teammates take the mantle.

There is limited air time for promotion, so a select few are focused on. SC's unexpected dominance, the stellar play of freshman players like Audi Crooks, Madison Booker, Mikaylah Williams & Milaysia Fulwiley, and most of all, Caitlin Clark's pursuit of the all-time scoring record, left time for little else.

While this class of freshmen is indeed special, they have a way to go to compare to the class of 3 years ago. A class that includes Clark, Bueckers, Cameron Brink, Angel Reese & Karmila Cardoso. One from this group has won the last 3 NC's and 3 NPOY awards (I'm assuming Clark will win), with a strong likelihood that one of them will win this year's NC too. Recency bias sometimes makes us forget.

Now that the Sweet 16 has been finalized, ESPN must be salivating at the star power for the games ahead. None are shining brighter than Paige. Since their loss to SC, Paige has found a higher gear. In her last 11 games, all wins, she has shot 107-196 from the field for a 54.6%, while upping her shots per game to almost 18 and averaging 26 pts per game. In the postseason, she is 55-102, 53.9%, averaging 28.6, 9.2 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 3.2 steals, 2.8 blocks, 1.6 turnovers, while committing only 2 fouls in 5 games.

Numbers only tell half the story for Paige. She is that rare player that makes everybody else better. She's cool as a cucumber and a steadying presence for the 4 freshmen in their 7-person rotation. She has the ability to adjust her game based on how the opposing team is guarding her. One game, she is posting up, another, she is driving to the basket more. Last night against Syracuse, she found the hole in their zone around the foul line that she continuously exploited. Many players can hit a basket when wide open, but the great ones make contested shots regularly. Paige seldom forces a shot, and I am hard pressed to remember when she's had a shot blocked. Her midrange game, a thing of beauty was on full display against Syracuse.

While SC is the prohibitive favorite and without a discernible weakness, the Sweet 16 offers up some exciting match-ups. The way Paige is playing, anything is possible. Should UConn get past Duke, an Elite Eight contest with USC, featuring the new sensation against the recently rediscovered one would be mandatory viewing. Should UConn come out on top & Caitlin Clark and her Iowa team survive their gauntlet, basketball fans would be treated to an epic showdown, featuring two generational talents. I wonder how much ESPN would pay for this scenario to unfold.
I also think most BYers did not realize how great Paige's defense really was because they were focused on her offense. I saw it for the first time when she was a sophomore when she was anticipating second passes not initial ones while playing Seton Hall at Walsh. I was really stunned when I realized it was by design. This year she has just been something else. She has improved so much. The Syracuse coach is correct- Paige sees the game as a chessboard. Only the great ones have that. She can envision instantly what one movement does to the other pieces or players. Her fundamental defensive skills are also terrific. She boxes out as well as anyone, has active hands with long arms, and her switches are sick. I spent a lot of last night's game watching her play defense. I could see the whole floor really well from our seats and it was a real treat. This is the best all around player in the country and she never stops improving.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - excellent post Surley. I agree.

All this hoopla reminds of ESPN's Three to See of several years ago. I beleive it was Griner, DelleDonne and Diggins. Those three never made it to the final four. But UConn did. Could we see a repeat. Paige makes it to the final but the others don't.

Not to trash Clark. She is a talent. But I would take Paige over her any day in the week.

Reaction Score

Surly 1, you understand the nuances, write clearly and communicate a whole lot better than many of the full-time reporters and analysts (including on ESPN and Fox) and are clearly in a league of your own on this forum. I salute you.

Could you be a well-known UConn reporter/analyst hiding behind that surly name? Whoever you are, keep up the great writing.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't want the BY'ers to dwell on this and don't want to bad mouth anyone but I am still perplexed when I see articles or hear commentators that say CC has"redefined" the game of women's basketball. I'm still waiting to find out exactly how. By shooting threes from long range does it? That's redefining the game?

There's a lot more to the game than that and the one who encompasses expertly just about every element is none other than the bucket, Paige. She is clearly a basketball master who wants nothing more but to win not to reap accolades. If anyone has redefined the game in women's basketball it is Paige. She is one in a million. So let us all enjoy watching her and the ones she brings with her win.

Reaction Score

All this hoopla reminds of ESPN's Three to See of several years ago. I beleive it was Griner, DelleDonne and Diggins. Those three never made it to the final four. But UConn did. Could we see a repeat. Paige makes it to the final but the others don't.

Not to trash Clark. She is a talent. But I would take Paige over her any day in the week.

Correction - Diggins made it to the Final Four.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I also think most BYers did not realize how great Paige's defense really was because they were focused on her offense. I saw it for the first time when she was a sophomore when she was anticipating second passes not initial ones while playing Seton Hall at Walsh. I was really stunned when I realized it was by design. This year she has just been something else. She has improved so much. The Syracuse coach is correct- Paige sees the game as a chessboard. Only the great ones have that. She can envision instantly what one movement does to the other pieces or players. Her fundamental defensive skills are also terrific. She boxes out as well as anyone, has active hands with long arms, and her switches are sick. I spent a lot of last night's game watching her play defense. I could see the whole floor really well from our seats and it was a real treat. This is the best all around player in the country and she never stops improving.
If you go back and watch her Junior and Senior years in High School you would see her doing the same thing. She has vastly improved on it, but she seems that she has always had that ability.

Reaction Score
If you go back and watch her Junior and Senior years in High School you would see her doing the same thing. She has vastly improved on it, but she seems that she has always had that ability.
I don't doubt it. That just proves it is a gift because you can study film all you want, it won't happen. She just knows where the ball is going by the movement of the other players and she is there sometimes at or before the moment of release of the pass.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wasn't the upset of Baylor by L'ville a final-4 game?

This discussion of Clark vs Paige is reminiscent of the tumultuous arguments in 50's NY over who was the better of the 3 wonderful center fielders...all completely different from each other...
Ah, those were the days.

As the song goes
Wiilie, Micky and the Duke

Reaction Score
Baylor

Baylor with Griner won the 2012 National Championship. She was tournament MOP. She was also in the final four as a freshman in 2010.

Reaction Score
Surly 1, you understand the nuances, write clearly and communicate a whole lot better than many of the full-time reporters and analysts (including on ESPN and Fox) and are clearly in a league of your own on this forum. I salute you.

Could you be a well-known UConn reporter/analyst hiding behind that surly name? Whoever you are, keep up the great writing.
WiseWillie,

Thank you for your comments. That was very thoughtful. I happen to think that oldude writes some of the most cogent posts.

I realize we live in the age of analytics, but if I could reference an old school metric, the nuances about Paige's overall game are only discerned by watching her, and she surpasses the eye test. Fortunately, for us UConn fans, we get to watch her play. Her brilliance comes across in those innocuous moments where you ask, "How did she see that?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
WiseWillie,

Thank you for your comments. That was very thoughtful. I happen to think that oldude writes some of the most cogent posts.

I realize we live in the age of analytics, but if I could reference an old school metric, the nuances about Paige's overall game are only discerned by watching her, and she surpasses the eye test. Fortunately, for us UConn fans, we get to watch her play. Her brilliance comes across in those innocuous moments where you ask, "How did she see that?"
Yes, she's just flat out more fun to watch than anyone. It's grace and savvy personified on the basketball court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom