Yes to infrastructure repair...fix the roof ! | The Boneyard

Yes to infrastructure repair...fix the roof !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone's pre-game tweet noted that the Baylor team acted "disinterested " as our latest NC banner was unveiled. Methinks they were just squinting to protect their eyes from the flakes wafting down from the Gampel ceiling.

How long before potential recruits start tweeting jokes ?
Or Volnation catches on ?

This must drive the fastidious CD nuts.

Reaction Score
We were at the game last night and completely agree. It's become much, much worse since last year. If I remember correctly, there was money appropriated to make the repairs and I believe it was then pulled with all the budget cuts? The problem isn't just making the actual repairs, it's that Gampel wasn't designed to allow the type of equipment they need to get into the arena. Hard to believe, isn't it? So, a big part of the expense is what they have to do to get the equipment into Gampel. Geno explained this when he spoke to season ticket holders at an open practice a few years ago. I don't think I've ever read anywhere explaining the challenge it is to repair? That's not an excuse, but my point is I doubt it would have gone unrepaired this long if it was an easy/less expensive repair? It looks horrible, but I guess until it's repaired we can hope the Championship banners get more attention than a flaking roof!! ;)

Reaction Score
A thread about a month ago addressed this, too. The state (can't blame CT--like so many states, its budget's a mess) pulled a great deal of money out of UConn's appropriation that had been earmarked for academics. The University is faced with difficult choices, and, simply put, it's between continuously improving the academics (which draws better students to the state) and deferred maintenance. I'm sure no one wants to make that choice, and sooner-or-later deferred maintenance will get its day. But it really is a zero sum game right now.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've often noted that when youngsters are confronted with things out of their range of knowledge or understanding they tend to act disinterested or as if they've seen it all before know-it-alls. The Baylor team acted true to form. When opposing teams leave their locker room to run onto the court the first thing they seen are all of those championship banners. Better to act jaded than intimidated.

Reaction Score
A thread about a month ago addressed this, too. The state (can't blame CT--like so many states, its budget's a mess) pulled a great deal of money out of UConn's appropriation that had been earmarked for academics. The University is faced with difficult choices, and, simply put, it's between continuously improving the academics (which draws better students to the state) and deferred maintenance. I'm sure no one wants to make that choice, and sooner-or-later deferred maintenance will get its day. But it really is a zero sum game right now.

In the words of James Caan in The Program "Yeah, but when is the last time 15,000 people showed up to watch a kid to a damn chemistry experiment?".

Reaction Score
I really doubt that they acted disinterested. They might have been uninterested, but I would bet real money they were not disinterested.

From downtown! I teach in college and I tell majors in our department that they are required to memorize these two sentences:

"Disinterested" does not mean "uninterested."
"Begs the question" does not mean "raises the question."

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
LOL, mine too. I hate spending money on things that are no fun. I'd rather spend it on my basketball roadtrip next week.
The men's group is spending the roof money on a trip to Hawaii.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
From downtown! I teach in college and I tell majors in our department that they are required to memorize:
"Begs the question" does not mean "raises the question."

Thank you for this. I taught communication and critical thinking, among other treats. It was amazing how many people are unaware that begging a question isn't implicit in -- asking -- a question near so much as it is an illogical path toward -- avoiding -- a question. HD, we may be the only two people left on the planet who know this. You think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01