Yes or no to these 10 candidates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yes or no to these 10 candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall NO. STOP. GOD, PLEASE. NO...

3. Greg Schiano YES.

4. Les Miles YES.

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) NO.

6. Al Golden YES.

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) NO. (Just for reference, the last HC at JMU is now HC at Texas State...)

8. Todd Orlando YES.

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) NO. (Diaco all over again, minus the redeeming, quotable parts...)

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) NO. (Idaho may have just won their bowl game, but is moving down to FCS next season...)

Reaction Score
5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - yes. I am in the minority that thinks the option can work very well here. Georgia Tech has had a lot of success under Paul Johnson, Navy has been strong for a decade and Army is finally starting to turn the corner with it. Ideally, we would pay Jasper less than we would a more established candidate to save up for a quality DC, but I hope UConn explores this option because the option is awesome to watch when run properly. The biggest criticism of Georgia Tech is that they cannot move the ball against elite defenses, something that would not be an issue in the AAC.

Although, the option is not sexy, Georgia Tech and Navy always seem to hammer out 7-9 victories. Right now, that looks pretty good

Reaction Score
I wanted to start this thread so that people can make their opinion about the leading candidates NOW, not 24 hours after someone is hired and people on the board inevitably talk themselves into the next hire (assuming one of these 10 candidates is named the head coach). This way, people will not be able to say "I told you so!" or "I was the first to say this guy was gonna be great!" without evidence to back it up.

It appears everyone agrees Moorehead would be a good fit, if he is interested, so I will exclude him.

1. Randy Edsall

2. TJ Weist

3. Greg Schiano

4. Les Miles

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)

6. Al Golden

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach)

8. Todd Orlando

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC)

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC)

I will post my thoughts shortly, but I am curious exactly what this board is looking for in a coach.
No to Edsall and Jasper. Yes to the rest. Yes additionally to Rhett Lashlee (Auburn OC)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall NO. Been there done that.
2. TJ Weist NO
3. Greg Schiano YES. He convinced people that RU was a football school. He is a great recruiter and motivator. Mediocre game manager but we'd win with him.

4. Les Miles YES. Top choice along with Moorhead.

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) NO.

6. Al Golden YES. Can build a program. Raw deal at the U.

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) YES. An offensive mind with a moderate price tag. Low on the totem pole but I think he could surprise.

8. Todd Orlando NO - great guy but no d-coordinator as a head coach this time around. The game has changed.

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) NO.

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) NO.

Reaction Score
I wanted to start this thread so that people can make their opinion about the leading candidates NOW, not 24 hours after someone is hired and people on the board inevitably talk themselves into the next hire (assuming one of these 10 candidates is named the head coach). This way, people will not be able to say "I told you so!" or "I was the first to say this guy was gonna be great!" without evidence to back it up.

It appears everyone agrees Moorehead would be a good fit, if he is interested, so I will exclude him.

1. Randy Edsall

2. TJ Weist

3. Greg Schiano

4. Les Miles

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)

6. Al Golden

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach)

8. Todd Orlando

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC)

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC)

I will post my thoughts shortly, but I am curious exactly what this board is looking for in a coach.
No,yes,no,yes,no,yes,yes,no,yes,no

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - NO, been there done that.

2. TJ Weist - NO, like what he did here, but recruiting would be a major ???.

3. Greg Schiano - YES, he can recruit, his teams are aggressive, has proven he can build a program quickly.

4. Les Miles - YES, proven winner, great recruiter, his name will put eyes on the program immediately....in a good way.

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - NO, as much as I love the option, we don't have the personnel to run it and it would take time to recruit for it.

6. Al Golden - NO, although he can recruit and win in the AAC, he doesn't excite me.

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - YES, he been a successful HC, who can win with lesser recruits and his offense can score points.

8. Todd Orlando - NO, would have taken him pre-Diaco, but with zero HC experience, it's too big of a risk. The program has to win quickly.

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - YES, I like that he's an offensive guy at a program with great history. He's intriguing and I'd be willing to give him a few years to turn things around.

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - YES, I know he's not a big name, but he has won with lesser recruits in a cold weather state and he's ripe for the picking with Idaho going to FCS.

Reaction Score
What about the guy that was just fired at Oregon, Helfrich or something like that? He had one bad year, and seemed to coach decently.

Reaction Score
I heard you can buy these two for the price of one. LOL!!!
upload_2016-12-27_19-4-23.png

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Whoever we hire, I want to give that person every opportunity to succeed...

1. Randy Edsall - not preferred but I'd take it if the best option remaining

2. TJ Weist - I think he's at risk of serious pneumonia if he came here - not enough HC evidence for me

3. Greg Schiano - no thanks

4. Les Miles - sure lol (not happening)

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - no thanks

6. Al Golden - Yes

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - Yes

8. Todd Orlando - Not happening anyways given he just took another job but I'd decline

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - like the OL focus but he's a Harbaugh guy (10 years running) and limited East Coast ties

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - last name scares the crap out of me which probably isn't fair - if he can pass the smell test, there's obvious upside but we'd just be a way station

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall = NO. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. NO

2. TJ Weist = Last choice. Who did he recruit the last time he was here? We need an upgrade in recruiting

3. Greg Schiano = If Les Miles won't come, YES

4. Les Miles = YES. When is UConn going to get serious about getting into the P-5?

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) = Can Husky Nation wait another three years to see if the triple option can work in CT? NO

6. Al Golden = Third choice

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) = Can he recruit P-5 talent? NO

8. Todd Orlando = Is already committed to Texas. Is another defensive guy

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) = Fourth choice

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) = lateral move for him. How long is he realistically going to stay in Storrs? Fifth choice

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - I hope it doesn't come to this.

2. TJ Weist - no

3. Greg Schiano - hell no

4. Les Miles - sure, he ain't comin' tho.

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - no

6. Al Golden - sure

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - yes

8. Todd Orlando - yes

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - who?

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - no

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - No

2. TJ Weist - No

3. Greg Schiano - Nnnnnnn.... yes

4. Les Miles - LOL

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - ???

6. Al Golden - Yes

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - Yes

8. Todd Orlando - Yes

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - ?

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - No

Reaction Score
Since nobody else is saying this, do you really think Matt has this right?

Matt was on the record very adamantly stating that Diaco would be back next year. He cited sources.

Not sure he much credibility left at this point.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Weist and Golden are the only two names on that list worth considering. No to the rest.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Matt was on the record very adamantly stating that Diaco would be back next year. He cited sources.

Not sure he much credibility left at this point.

If Benedict's statements are taken at face value, that may very well have been a true statement two or more weeks ago. Circumstances apparently changed.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lots of Randy hate here. The only reason he is not my first choice is I have always believed you can never step in the same water twice. The reality is he is a proven program builder(here) and knows the lay of the land. His exit was terrible but also his relationship with Hathaway was horrible and that is a piece that forced him to look yonder.

Benedict wants a program builder- that eliminates coordinators in my estimation. That leaves experienced head coaches who have taken teams from the ground up. That means RE, Shady(old habits die hard) Schiano, Golden, maybe Wilder but more importantly someone he, Goetz and Cegles have in mind that we don't know of.

One last thing, there are no external people or entities involved, so I doubt anyone is leaking anything credible. All these reports are agent and rumor driven. So, let's not get worked up until Benedict speaks.

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall -- No

2. TJ Weist -- No

3. Greg Schiano -- Yes

4. Les Miles -- Yes

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) -- No

6. Al Golden -- Yes

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) -- Yes

8. Todd Orlando -- Hell Yes

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) -- Soft yes

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) -- soft yes

Status