Yes or no to these 10 candidates | The Boneyard

Yes or no to these 10 candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I wanted to start this thread so that people can make their opinion about the leading candidates NOW, not 24 hours after someone is hired and people on the board inevitably talk themselves into the next hire (assuming one of these 10 candidates is named the head coach). This way, people will not be able to say "I told you so!" or "I was the first to say this guy was gonna be great!" without evidence to back it up.

It appears everyone agrees Moorehead would be a good fit, if he is interested, so I will exclude him.

1. Randy Edsall

2. TJ Weist

3. Greg Schiano

4. Les Miles

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)

6. Al Golden

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach)

8. Todd Orlando

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC)

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC)

I will post my thoughts shortly, but I am curious exactly what this board is looking for in a coach.

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - no

2. TJ Weist - no

3. Greg Schiano - (ummmm) yes

4. Les Miles - yes

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - no

6. Al Golden - yes

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - (with slight hesitation, b/c of short HC career) - yes

8. Todd Orlando -yes

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - no

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) -yes

Reaction Score
3,6,7,8 yes.

No to the rest. 3 is a soft yes. Always viewed Edsall/Schiano as interchangeable.

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - no

2. TJ Weist - yes

3. Greg Schiano - no

4. Les Miles - yes

6. Al Golden - no

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - yes

8. Todd Orlando -yes

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - no

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - no

2. TJ Weist - no

3. Greg Schiano - (ummmm) yes, 1A or 1B

4. Les Miles - yes, 1A or 1B

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - no, can't run that here

6. Al Golden - maybe

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - (with slight hesitation, b/c of short HC career) - yes, don't know much but seems to be well regarded

8. Todd Orlando -yes, with caveat we can fund a high quality OC

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) -maybe, another I know little about and can he recruit NE, has only been East of Mississippi < 5 years

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - no

2. TJ Weist - no

3. Greg Schiano - (ummmm) yes

4. Les Miles - yes

6. Al Golden - yes

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - (with slight hesitation, b/c of short HC career) - yes

8. Todd Orlando -yes

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) -yes
Agree with #'s 2, 3, 6

No to FCS coaches for HC........some very good ones out there.....for FCS.....where their experience lies. Their names would not create a recruiting buzz for FBS recruits

No problem with a head FCS coach wanting to upgrade their experience to FBS programs......as a coordinator

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - no, he is not what our program needs right now and I do not think he can assemble the caliber of staff that he was able to when we played in the Big East and had the BCS label attached to us. Our

2. TJ Weist - yes. He was not a bad recruiter here and has already proven he can be a head coach in a small sample size; the improvement our 2013 team showed in the 6 games he coached here are evidence of this. He was a sharp offensive mind here and did a fantastic job as an OC down at South Florida. Not a splash hire, but we can probably get him cheap and pay good $$$ for a quality defensive coordinator at a mid-major school.

3. Greg Schiano - soft no, but I am slightly higher on him than Edsall. Rutgers is no easier to win at than UConn (it's Rutgers) and he did at least as good a job as Edsall did at player development, and a superior job of recruiting. Unofrtunately, I have concerns about how his offenses would look, unless he brought in a TJ Weist type.

4. Les Miles - hell no. With 4 and 5 star athletes, he consistently ran out offenses that barely looked more competent than our own (albeit against much stronger competition). How the hell is he going to build a competitive offense here if he couldn't do it at LSU? I do not know if he would be interested in the job and I sure hope we are not interested in him.

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - yes. I am in the minority that thinks the option can work very well here. Georgia Tech has had a lot of success under Paul Johnson, Navy has been strong for a decade and Army is finally starting to turn the corner with it. Ideally, we would pay Jasper less than we would a more established candidate to save up for a quality DC, but I hope UConn explores this option because the option is awesome to watch when run properly. The biggest criticism of Georgia Tech is that they cannot move the ball against elite defenses, something that would not be an issue in the AAC.

6. Al Golden - no. Deserves a chance somewhere, but he is a bad fit for similar reasons to Edsall.

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - yes. For those wondering if he could attract good talent to UConn...has anyone seen JMU play this year? He is a young guy that I have a lot of faith can recruit good enough players to win here, and his offense at JMU this year has been a joy to watch.

8. Todd Orlando - no. No head coaching experience, not a recruiter and not a face of the program type. I really like him and he did an awesome job here, but if we hire someone that coaches defense, it needs to be a splash hire.

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - I do not know enough about hi to pass judgement.

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - yes, assuming he can hire some staff with Northeast ties. The coaching bloodlines are there, he has a great offensive mind and did a tremendous job at Idaho this year. Since Idaho is dropping down to the FCS in a couple of years, I think this is one decent FBS head coach that we can steal.

Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall
- Yes, but after failing to get some others

2. TJ Weist
-No

3. Greg Schiano
-Yes, begrudgingly

4. Les Miles
-Yes

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)
-No

6. Al Golden
-No

=Yes

8. Todd Orlando
-No

-Yes

-Yes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - NO
2. TJ Weist - NO
3. Greg Schiano - Reluctant yes
4. Les Miles - Heck Yeah
5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC) - NO
6. Al Golden - Reluctant yes
7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - Maybe. Not enthused by him
8. Todd Orlando - NO
9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - NO
10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) - NO

Where did you get this list? Why do these lists stink? Have some freaking confidence people. We did not fire Diaco on December 26, while paying him a large buyout so we could land the Navy OC. There has to be a clear upgrade here or they don't make this move.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I wanted to start this thread so that people can make their opinion about the leading candidates NOW, not 24 hours after someone is hired and people on the board inevitably talk themselves into the next hire (assuming one of these 10 candidates is named the head coach). This way, people will not be able to say "I told you so!" or "I was the first to say this guy was gonna be great!" without evidence to back it up.

It appears everyone agrees Moorehead would be a good fit, if he is interested, so I will exclude him.

1. Randy Edsall

2. TJ Weist

3. Greg Schiano

4. Les Miles

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)

6. Al Golden

8. Todd Orlando

I will post my thoughts shortly, but I am curious exactly what this board is looking for in a coach.

1. Edsall- He'd be way down my list. While I think he'd eventually get us back to 7-5 type seasons it will take time, and I don't see him taking us to the next level. Rather someone with a higher ceiling.

2. Weist- Absolutely not

3. Schiano-Yes, not thrilled about it because i don't like him, but he'd improve the recruiting, and turning around Rutgers was an incredibly tough job.

4. Les Miles- Yes. He has questions, but in our situation if you get a guy like him you take him

6. Golden- No, similar reasons to Edsall, and he doesn't have the advantage of doing it here before like Edsall does

8. Orlando- I think so. I like him. I'd want to hear his plans for the offense, and obviously another first time head coach has questions.

The rest I don't know enough about right now to have an opinion

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 38m38 minutes ago
Could know new #UConnFootball HC w/in next 48 hours-AD David Benedict not expected to speak to media until then after radio interview Mon PM

Hmmm, this seems to be headed in the direction of Les Miles or gulp, Edsall. I would think Moorhead couldn't be announced until after his bowl game.
Unintelligible tweet...yahoo source said 24 to 48 hours 36 hours ago... won't speak to media until Monday PM is Jan 2. Totally confused here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unintelligible tweet...yahoo source said 24 to 48 hours 36 hours ago... won't speak to media until Monday PM is Jan 2. Totally confused here.
I dont know what to make of of the tweet.

All I do know is that Moorhead is the superior candidate, followed by rolling the dice on Miles. After that the candidates are interesting, but I admit I have no feel for them. I just fear another coordinator w/o HC experience. HC is completely different because you have to build a much bigger staff, trust in it and own it. Diaco demonstrated that is a big step that not everyone is equipped to do.

Reaction Score
I dont know what to make of it. All I do know is that Moorhead is the superior candidate, followed by rolling the dice on Miles. After that the candidates are interesting, but I admit I have no feel for them. I just fear another coordinator w/o HC experience. HC is completely different because you have to build a much bigger staff, trust in it and own it. Diaco demonstrated that is a big step that not everyone is equipped to do.
Yup

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
4. Les Miles - hell no. With 4 and 5 star athletes, he consistently ran out offenses that barely looked more competent than our own (albeit against much stronger competition). How the hell is he going to build a competitive offense here if he couldn't do it at LSU? I do not know if he would be interested in the job and I sure hope we are not interested in him.

I'm sorry, but you are out of your mind to say you wouldn't want a national caliber football coach at UConn. He's so high profile, I think there's absolutely no chance we get him. No matter what baggage may or may not come with him, he immediately raises our recruiting and overall national profile, at a crucial time in the history of the entire UConn athletic program.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No matter what anyone thinks of Matt, there's no doubt he has some good internal sources.

I actually like the guy. But if he's right on this, then we'd hear by tomorrow at the latest, or possibly this evening. I think Matt originally sent this tweet yesterday when the news broke, before Benedict went on the radio.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall - absolutley NO!!!!!

2. TJ Weist - No

3. Greg Schiano - maybe, with reservations. Need a serious OC to come with him

4. Les Miles - yes but he isn't coming to UConn at his age

6. Al Golden - I think yes. The Miami gig was stacked against him.

7. Mike Houston (JMU head coach) - yes

8. Todd Orlando - yes but we woukd need a big OC to go with him

9. Tim Drevno (Michigan OC) - maybe

10. Paul Petrino (Idaho HC) ? - don't know much about him.

As to the 24 - 48 hour thing, I beleive Benedict has his choice already but will not announce until January 2. He's being professional about this all along and needs to continue that behavior.

Reaction Score
If the idea is that this hire makes a splash there are only 2 on the list that fit and arguably just one. And it ain't the guy from James Madison. I'm not convinced that he is on this list but if we had to pick one it would be Miles or Schiano.

Reaction Score
yahoo source said 24 to 48 hours 36 hours ago...

Yup... it's been piggybacked off this tweet multiple times by others.

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde 1:22 PM - 26 Dec 2016
Y sources believe UConn could move quickly; Diaco successor could emerge within 24-48 hours. But, again, it's not Joe Moorhead.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
1. Randy Edsall
- Only after being rejected by like 4 other options

2. TJ Weist
- Yes. I know it's a risk, but I've been consistently impressed by his offense, and his stretch in charge in Storrs was our best since 2010

3. Greg Schiano
- Yes, as long as we force him to hire a progressive OC

4. Les Miles
- Yes. No. 1 choice

5. Ivan Jasper (Navy OC)
- Nope

6. Al Golden
- Yes, with the same "progressive OC" stipulation as Schiano

- Yes. Give him the keys.

8. Todd Orlando
- No