Year of the Big Girl? | The Boneyard

Year of the Big Girl?

Reaction Score
In perusing ESPN’s list of the top 25 players in the tournament, I was struck by the predominance of 6 foot or above players. I realize the list itself is debatable, some will have issues with who was chosen and where they were placed but, putting that aside, I was shocked at the number of big girls. 19/25 were 6’ or better, 8 of the top ten were 6’2” or better, and 7 of the top ten were 6’3” or better! Only 6 of the twenty five were under 6’ and every one of the top 13 players were 6’ or better! I’m probably making too much of this but it just seems like I blinked and the makeup of women’s basketball suddenly shifted upward by three to six inches.

Reaction Score
In perusing ESPN’s list of the top 25 players in the tournament, I was struck by the predominance of 6 foot or above players. I realize the list itself is debatable, some will have issues with who was chosen and where they were placed but, putting that aside, I was shocked at the number of big girls. 19/25 were 6’ or better, 8 of the top ten were 6’2” or better, and 7 of the top ten were 6’3” or better! Only 6 of the twenty five were under 6’ and every one of the top 13 players were 6’ or better! I’m probably making too much of this but it just seems like I blinked and the makeup of women’s basketball suddenly shifted upward by three to six inches.
An excellent observation, Cuango, yet look around... as many of us are shrinking from whatever height we once attained, people in general are getting taller, both women and men.:confused::rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Height is something to contemplate because we're about to lose a 6'5" player w/out much size coming in. When Azura Stevens was here, we expected 2 years. She left after one. She was our last best chance to have an impactful big until Dorka arrived. In Dorka's case we also expected 2 years, however she was pretty nicked up last year (and finally out for our biggest game). When healthy this season, Dorka has been good and getting better. She will be sorely missed.
I don't mean to dis Ono, but she really never got to the point where she made the difference we needed.
Point: Dorka may be our best chance in a while to win the NC. Let's hope.

Reaction Score
“My theory is the universe is contracting. At least, I’m bumping into things more often.”
— Frank and Ernest
I can confirm this as a fact, since I have approximate knowledge of the entire universe.

Reaction Score
As good as Clark is, I still would probably pick Boston first.
Pretty sure that won't be anyone's choice unless Caitlin opts to turn pro this year or Aliyah stays at SC for another season (or transfers somewhere, like UConn).:confused: One couldn't go wrong either way.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that won't be anyone's choice unless Caitlin opts to turn pro this year or Aliyah stays at SC for another season (or transfers somewhere, like UConn).:confused: One couldn't go wrong either way.
The choice was for best player, not #1 draft pick.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Regardless of height, plenty of these players are guards/wings.

Reaction Score
This does nothing to explain why I keep getting fatter.
Well maybe it's related. I think the Deacon may be on to something. Maybe it's cause and effect, i.e. the more we shrink, the taller they grow. Very similar to the situation if I lose 5 lbs. Mrs. Skeets will find them.

Any close relative of yours losing weight? You might be the ying to that yang.

Reaction Score
The choice was for best player, not #1 draft pick.
As good as Clark is she won't be leading teams to championships in the WNBA the was Boston will. AB will make any team that gets her an immediate contender for a title while Clark would just make them fun to watch. Both great players but in BB you have to have a big that can control the lane and Boston does that better than anyone right now.

Reaction Score
As good as Clark is she won't be leading teams to championships in the WNBA the was Boston will. AB will make any team that gets her an immediate contender for a title while Clark would just make them fun to watch. Both great players but in BB you have to have a big that can control the lane and Boston does that better than anyone right now.
Clark would really have to up her defense to make a huge impact in the WNBA. There are so many good defensive players with the ability to face guard her and get enough lift to block or deflect some of her three point attempts. She'd have to show something spectacular in training camp to displace the current PGs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Height is something to contemplate because we're about to lose a 6'5" player w/out much size coming in.
We have 2 players (6-4 and 6-3) coming in next year. That's a decent amount of size to cover.

This year we have: 6-5, 6-5, 6-3 and a couple athletic 6-2, 6-1
Next year we have : 6-5, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, and 3 athletic 6-2, 6-1, 6-1

Don't think we are losing much from a pure size point of view.

Losing experience, that's for sure.

I don't mean to dis Ono, but she really never got to the point where she made the difference we needed.
Welllll, ONO shot better than Juhasz (59% to 49%), had way more assists (116 to 74), way more blocks (100 to 31) and wasn't as hurt. Juhasz avg more rebounds (10 to 8.5) and scoring (14 to 12) and was a 3 pt shooter. (ONO didn't even really attempt many). So I'm not sure one can argue one made much more of a difference than the other. Each did some thing better than the other.

Reaction Score
We have 2 players (6-4 and 6-3) coming in next year. That's a decent amount of size to cover.

Welllll, ONO shot better than Juhasz (59% to 49%), had way more assists (116 to 74), way more blocks (100 to 31) and wasn't as hurt. Juhasz avg more rebounds (10 to 8.5) and scoring (14 to 12) and was a 3 pt shooter. (ONO didn't even really attempt many). So I'm not sure one can argue one made much more of a difference than the other. Each did some thing better than the other.
The thing with ONO and her passing, she had decent court vision and her shot blocking skills were off the charts. Like you said, each player (ONO & Dorka) did somethings better than the other.

Reaction Score
These tall players are changing the game. Some Bigs are playing in the post and some are taking their skills on perimeter.

Reaction Score

CC can go pro this year??

Reaction Score

Dorka also is playing a fifth year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom