YAY! My first live UConn game | The Boneyard

YAY! My first live UConn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I finally found tickets to the Depaul game tonight, so I'll be seeing the team live for the first time--no thanks to my boyfriend whose great plan was to buy scalp tickets in the freezing cold of Chicago (after he failed to buy them in time).

A friend actually got tickets from one of the Depaul players, so I think I might end up as the UConn interloper in Depaul section.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Enjoy. Get there early for warmups- always interesting to see how much more disciplined UConn is with respect to warmups than are other teams (even teams like ND). Plus for some of the girls- especially Tiff and Kelly- how they shoot in warmups tends to be predictive of game time. KML and Bria less so. When the game starts, note to the attention to detail, the effort, the communication between players, the passing, the boxouts, etc. Kelly is especially a joy to watch in person- you'll notice things about her that you don't get to see on TV because she's not lighting it up in terms of scoring.

UConn wins a lot in part because it gets really, really good players. But an equally big part of it is the way Geno and his staff focus on the little stuff. And the little stuff is best appreciated in person.

Reaction Score
I finally found tickets to the Depaul game tonight, so I'll be seeing the team live for the first time--no thanks to my boyfriend whose great plan was to buy scalp tickets in the freezing cold of Chicago (after he failed to buy them in time).

A friend actually got tickets from one of the Depaul players, so I think I might end up as the UConn interloper in Depaul section.

Wow. Hope they don't kill you. Someone got kicked out for wearing a UNC shirt in the UVirgnia section one time. He sued and won.

But the whole arena is the DePaul section, so it should be ok.... Best of luck to our Huskies tonight. We haven't lost to a team that doesn't wear red or green in almost five years. We won't lose to DePaul.

Reaction Score
We will! Many thanks for the great advice!

Enjoy. Get there early for warmups- always interesting to see how much more disciplined UConn is with respect to warmups than are other teams (even teams like ND). Plus for some of the girls- especially Tiff and Kelly- how they shoot in warmups tends to be predictive of game time. KML and Bria less so. When the game starts, note to the attention to detail, the effort, the communication between players, the passing, the boxouts, etc. Kelly is especially a joy to watch in person- you'll notice things about her that you don't get to see on TV because she's not lighting it up in terms of scoring.

UConn wins a lot in part because it gets really, really good players. But an equally big part of it is the way Geno and his staff focus on the little stuff. And the little stuff is best appreciated in person.

Reaction Score
I had thought about making a sign, but decided against it.

I usually bring signs and cheer loudly for the Sun when the come to Chicago and have never had any problems.

Wow. Hope they don't kill you. Someone got kicked out for wearing a UNC shirt in the UVirgnia section one time. He sued and won.

But the whole arena is the DePaul section, so it should be ok.... Best of luck to our Huskies tonight. We haven't lost to a team that doesn't wear red or green in almost five years. We won't lose to DePaul.

Reaction Score
You won't be alone... I am other uconn faithful who will be at the game! I am so excited to attend the game.

I usually bring signs and cheer loudly for the Sun when the come to Chicago and have never had any problems.

Reaction Score

Have fun!!! And thanks for representing the UCONN fans who can't be there (like me) !

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

99% of the arena will be in the DePaul section. So cheer VERY Loudly.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Have a great time! It's much smaller than Gampel, so no matter where you sit, you should have a great view of the action!
Take Alex's advice and get there for warmups...you will really get to see the team's personality and how the kids interact. If they are bouncing around & laughing, and Stef is dancing and/or singing to the music - you are in for a big time UConn experience when the game starts. Hope that forever bus ride from Indy didn't wear them down too much. Enjoy!! (wow, you are making me miss my hometown big time today...)

Reaction Score

All good points by Alex, but I'd add one more: it's fun to see what a goof Stef is in warm-ups, especially if there's music to rock to!
Have a great time, Cara, and as Olde Coach said, "cheer VERY loudly!" And a report tonight or tomorrow would be great!

Reaction Score
Many thanks, all!

The boyfriend recently purchased a $1500 camera (which apparently does even factor in the lenses?????!!!!) so I'm making him bring it along, so hopefully I'll have some pics of the game/team to share.

I'll write up my impression, but no promises on its worth, since I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the actual game as the by'ers who post game summaries.

All good points by Alex, but I'd add one more: it's fun to see what a goof Stef is in warm-ups, especially if there's music to rock to!
Have a great time, Cara, and as Olde Coach said, "cheer VERY loudly!" And a report tonight or tomorrow would be great!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

My best advice is to leave your sign at home. I will take no follow-up questions.

But here is one I really like.
parade banner.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great tips! I'm paying close attention, since I'll be going to my first UConn game Wednesday at Syracuse. It looks as though there's open seating--where do I sit (it's in the Carrier Dome)? How early do I have to get there to get the best seat, or at least see the warmups?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for the great tips! I'm paying close attention, since I'll be going to my first UConn game Wednesday at Syracuse. It looks as though there's open seating--where do I sit (it's in the Carrier Dome)? How early do I have to get there to get the best seat, or at least see the warmups?

Sit as close to the floor as you can possibly get, Sam (but not blocked out by the press table etc.)

You will see a whole different game from the 1st two rows than from even as close as row 5. The closer you are, the faster the play appears; and you can appreciate how incredibly fast player decisions are made. The passing lanes are very narrow, and they are only open for a tenth of a second or less.

Be there when the doors open, and run for a close-up seat. This will give you an appreciation for the game, and for the talent of the kids that you can't ever get from TV or even from the fifth row.

The kids are very strong and very fast. They are incredible athletes.

Enjoy.

OC

Reaction Score

Me too! First live game (in two years) on Wednesday!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Did you happen to spot this girl?

M_Tuck44 Morgan Tuck

On my way home from the uconn game...good win tonight...winning by 40 is good enough lol

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sit as close to the floor as you can possibly get, Sam (but not blocked out by the press table etc.)

You will see a whole different game from the 1st two rows than from even as close as row 5. The closer you are, the faster the play appears; and you can appreciate how incredibly fast player decisions are made. The passing lanes are very narrow, and they are only open for a tenth of a second or less.

Be there when the doors open, and run for a close-up seat. This will give you an appreciation for the game, and for the talent of the kids that you can't ever get from TV or even from the fifth row.

The kids are very strong and very fast. They are incredible athletes.

Enjoy.

OC

The first time I saw a live game was, I think, UConn at BC, back in the latter 90's. I was stunned at the speed and the strength - and, watching Paige Sauer 's eyes bounce back-n'-forth while playing the backline middle of a 2-3 zone was really "eye-opening". The mental focus was so obviously intense, even from several rows off the court.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Olde Coach! I'm planning to get there as soon as possible, and my friend and I will tag-team to save seats and get something to eat while we're waiting. I'll take your advice about sitting as close as I can.

My first pro game was last summer (Mystic at Sun), and, even though I was sitting about halfway up, I was amazed at the amount of energy that the players had to sustain, especially mental energy to not let the plays get away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom