Yawin Smallwoods reaction to Uconn/ND @ Fenway....... | The Boneyard

Yawin Smallwoods reaction to Uconn/ND @ Fenway.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PLAY EM AT THE RENT!!!!!!!! That was the response he gave Kevin Nathan on the 6PM news when asked about the possibility of the possible matchup in Fenway Park. The Worcester Mass, Redsox fan couldnt of been more adamant after being asked twice! That a boy Yawin!!!

Reaction Score
ND wants to play in WBB. We want to play in football. Surely they could go hand in hand?

Reaction Score
I would love to watch a football game at Fenway, but he is absolutely correct. I know I am in the huge minority (an unlikely alliance of Palatine, Touchdown Husky, and I), but they need to face is at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Playing at the Rent is a game. Playing at Fenway is an event that will get coverage coast to coast. It would give us as much or more exposure than our Fiesta Bowl appearance.

Reaction Score
i wouldn't walk across the street to Pi$$ on ND if they were on fire

Reaction Score
Playing at the Rent is a game. Playing at Fenway is an event that will get coverage coast to coast. It would give us as much or more exposure than our Fiesta Bowl appearance.
I don't think you get much more coverage by playing at Fenway. Anecdotal at best.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
Playing at Fenway would be great, and hopefully there would be enough revenue out of it to buy a home game to pair with it. It would probably be nationally televised on NBC and it would get lots of New England media.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
The thought of the UCONN "Brand "playing in BC's back yard is appealing on one level, the level of :p

Reaction Score
Let Yawin play LB and leave scheduling to the administration. Like players' opinions count for anything anyway.

Reaction Score
Let Yawin play LB and leave scheduling to the administration. Like players' opinions count for anything anyway.

I think he's been hanging out here on the BY with statements like that.

I just hope YS is still patrolling the middle if/when/where we kick in ND's dome again.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Yawin the first to commit in his class too? Couldnt ask for a more dedicated husky. #bleedblue

Reaction Score
If they want to play us at Fenway as an ND home game, aka it's a nearby road game for us with an otherwise full home slate, great deal. There will be plenty of tickets available, no worries.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All bluster aside (and there is quite a bit of it here), if there is a proposed game at Fenway, it is the Red Sox ownership, nobody else proposing this and if the two stated schools are who there are considering for this game, it tells me that they want the assure a packed house will high priced seats.

To those b!tch!ng about the venue for this proposed UConn road game. If there were a proposal for a UConn home game against ND to be played in Wrigley Field, Boneyarders would (rightfully so) b!tch endlessly about how ND was seriously giving us the short end of the stick. How is this not something (an ND home game against us played in our backyard) that favors us?

The fact is that (especially where we are today) if something comes along that may benefit our football program's exposure we have to evaluate it thoroughly before dismissing it.

F

fortebleedsblue

I guess I'm missing the downside to this... Plenty of big time programs are playing on neutral sites lately. This is a game that Uconn fans can travel to easily. It's not like husky fans have been show stoppers at the rent lately.. I'd rather see a full fenway than the TV embarrassment that has been the rent lately.

Reaction Score
I don't think you get much more coverage by playing at Fenway. Anecdotal at best.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I disagree. A couple of years ago, I was one of many that checked out the Northwestern vs. Illinois game on TV. Why, because it was at Wrigley Field, not at one of their home stadiums. I would not have purposely watched this game had it been hosted by Northwestern vs. Illinois. Fenway Park would mean huge exposure for the game.

Reaction Score
As long as this proposed game at Fenway is a neutral site game - not a Notre Dame home game (although if they want to move home games from TD Jesus's view that's there business) and not a UConn home game (the Huskies need to keep their home games at Rentschler, hell we only have six) - IMO its a terrific opportunity. A neutral site game in our backyard, no downside from what I can see.

Sidebar to that, funny how after a 40+ year hiatus, now a football game at Fenway is in vogue. They (the Patriots) abandoned that place to try to find a venue more suitable for football viewing. Must be the nostalgia. Couple years ago Northwestern and Illinois played at Wrigley (again a stadium that was abandoned for venues more suitable for football) . They couldn't even use one end zone because there was not enough room - stupid times stupid. Don't understand it. When they had to play in baseball stadiums years ago (Old Yankee Stadium, Shea, Fenway, Wrigley) they wanted football stadiums that more snugly matched the configuration of a football field (not the diamond shape of a baseball park). Now they want to go back to their roots. Ahhhhh.

Whatever - neutral site game ND v UConn, totally onboard.

Reaction Score
I would love to watch a football game at Fenway, but he is absolutely correct. I know I am in the huge minority (an unlikely alliance of Palatine, Touchdown Husky, and I), but they need to face is at the Rent.

I guess I am missing how playing a road game at Fenway has any downside at all beyond gate receipts. It will be an event that will give us tremendous exposure. To anyone who doubts that, just look at what the NHL Winter Classics do insofar as viewing numbers and pub. I swear some of you think we have arrived as a football program. Outside of CT everyone views us as a hoops school, events like this if we perform helps to change that view.

Reaction Score

Did you see the clip? I'm assuming you didn’t based on the response. Smallwood did not offer his opinion just to talk, he was sitting at a table in the players’ lounge and was approached by Kevin Nathan and asked several times about the issue. You could tell he really didn’t want to get into it, but said the we went to South Bend to play them so they can come to The Rent, period. Your comment would suggest he was walking around trying to be heard and that wasnt the case. Your thought on player’s comments "not meaning anything" is way off, have you ever been a locker room before? His comment allows insight as to what the players are feeling, something we don’t get exposure to. That being said it also allows to see what the tone and attitude of the team is as well. Something that is VERY important because it all has an effect on morale etc... which ultimately can lead to distractions and affect execution later on. This kid is well spoken and is a great ambassador for our program, scheduling is certainly out of his hands but it is good to know where the team stands on issues from time to time.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine sitting in the last few rows of the lower level in Fenway for a football game? I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can you imagine sitting in the last few rows of the lower level in Fenway for a football game? I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV.

If you mean the seats closest to the field, I'll agree with you. Those are on the field and all you'll see are the numbers on the backs of the players or the cameramen. Obviously, it gets better the further back you go, but I still would have a hard time sitting in the boxes below the first concourse. On the other hand, those are probably going to alumni and local businesses, so I personally won't have to worry about it.

However, If you mean the individual red seats right in front of the grandstands, I could not disagree more. You would be set further back than a Rentschler, but those are more akin to the last row of the lower bowl in East Harford. From the photos (posted in the other ND thread), it looks like Fenway is set up somewhat decent for football.

I'd love for this game to happen and I'll take Swarbrick at his word only to the point where he indicates that it is not finalized. I would not expect him to let the public into ongoing negotiations. If the game happens, I'll plan on being in Boston that day, ticket or not...

Reaction Score
Did you see the clip? I'm assuming you didn’t based on the response. Smallwood did not offer his opinion just to talk, he was sitting at a table in the players’ lounge and was approached by Kevin Nathan and asked several times about the issue. You could tell he really didn’t want to get into it, but said the we went to South Bend to play them so they can come to The Rent, period. Your comment would suggest he was walking around trying to be heard and that wasnt the case. Your thought on player’s comments "not meaning anything" is way off, have you ever been a locker room before? His comment allows insight as to what the players are feeling, something we don’t get exposure to. That being said it also allows to see what the tone and attitude of the team is as well. Something that is VERY important because it all has an effect on morale etc... which ultimately can lead to distractions and affect execution later on. This kid is well spoken and is a great ambassador for our program, scheduling is certainly out of his hands but it is good to know where the team stands on issues from time to time.

No I didn't see the clip. You make fair points. I guess the reporter was just trying to make news. Mostly the players want to make the NFL and go to bowl games. I'm sure they have opinions about scheduling but they are more for entertainment than anything else. My comments aren't negative about Smallwood. Just that his comments mean as much as ours in the big scheme of things.

I'm sure he spends his free time studying the intricacies of OOC scheduling and can quote who paid what to whom and what makes sense for a 2-1 deal etc.

Point being, players to have opinions and they should be listened to if possible. But I'm sure that the hoops team would probably want to play all of its games at Gampel and that isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Football fans are complaining about sightlines? SERIOUSLY? People here bitch about expanding the Rent (surely with prime view seating!), but also complain about sightlines?! There would be no bad seats at a Fenway football game.

Reaction Score
Football fans are complaining about sightlines? SERIOUSLY? People here bitch about expanding the Rent (surely with prime view seating!), but also complain about sightlines?! There would be no bad seats at a Fenway football game.

... but it might be cloudy with a slight chill that day.

Reaction Score
Any football ND plays is a national event. That's why the ACC people are so smug now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom