Yawin Smallwood to Enter 2014 Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yawin Smallwood to Enter 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BIG MISTAKE...All these kids see signs in their heads and think they're going to be an NFL star...If he is really that good, he should be dominating on the defense this year..I haven't seen it. I'll believe it at the end of the season but still a BIG MISTAKE...If he can graduate after this year then go, but if not get your degree and work more on your game and your stock will go up....

Definitely haven't seen him dominating. Also, he should probably research the "life and times - and diminutive football career of Jordan Todman". Now there was a player who had "dominated" and even he should have come back for that last year. If you are a LB at tOSU or Alabama or USC maybe (maybe even definitely) jump early. But UConn ain't there yet.

Reaction Score
Says a guy with an opinion. Nothing to see here. Yawin isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Definitely haven't seen him dominating. Also, he should probably research the "life and times - and diminutive football career of Jordan Todman". Now there was a player who had "dominated" and even he should have come back for that last year. If you are a LB at tOSU or Alabama or USC maybe (maybe even definitely) jump early. But UConn ain't there yet.
He is going to get drafted based on his film and how he does at that combine, not based on where he kz from also Todman Taking more pounding and hits wasn't going to raise his stock any higher. He has been on NFL teams, if he was going to be a dominant back I'd think you would have seen some of that by now. Not to say he can't come into his own later as Donald Brown seems to be doing now. If Smallwood, is set to graduate, I don't see why he would come back to what will probably be his fourth head coach, and third defensive coordinator. Butcthats just me.

Reaction Score

Seriously? Todman's time in the NFL wouldn't look any different by him having come back for another year. He's small for an NFL running back, plain and simple. Smallwood on the other hand, has good size and very good athleticism for an NFL ILB. He also has the tape to back it up. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Reaction Score
Giant mistake. His performance this year is underwhelming and he will go low.

Reaction Score
UConnFootball
Captain Yawin Smallwood's numbers are very impressive at the half way mark of season!pic.twitter.com/LUjRvqeL9m

1005008_570896569625786_795872873_n.jpg

Yawin Smallwood is the Best Player You've Never Heard Of
http://www.doublecoveragefootball.com/2013/10/yawin-smallwood-is-best-player-youve.html

Reaction Score
UConnFootball
Captain Yawin Smallwood's numbers are very impressive at the half way mark of season!pic.twitter.com/LUjRvqeL9m

View attachment 4045

Yawin Smallwood is the Best Player You've Never Heard Of
http://www.doublecoveragefootball.com/2013/10/yawin-smallwood-is-best-player-youve.html
Tackles per game is good.
Zero interceptions, 1 sack and 3 pass break-ups - not great.
5th rounder at best. Really needs to stick around for another year.

Reaction Score
This year, being on the Watch List is definitely not converting into being on the Do List.

To revise the coment from FastEddy, "Huskies could use Smallwood".

Reaction Score
Tackles per game is good.
Zero interceptions, 1 sack and 3 pass break-ups - not great.
5th rounder at best. Really needs to stick around for another year.

Hit the nail on the head. Draft position is directly related to college stats.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Coming back for another year of double teams won't help his stats. Yawin is ready, and I wish him the best. Middle linebackers will rarely go higher than 3rd round give all the nickel that is played in the NFL. If he is slated for 3rd or 4th, he should go.

Reaction Score
Giant mistake. His performance this year is underwhelming and he will go low.

Boogles my mind people post stuff with zero basis. Look at some draft boards and come back and make an informed post, please.

You will not find him rated lower than the #3 ILB and outside of the 2nd or 3rd round

Reaction Score
He will get graded just like Sio and the others did after their Junior years. He may go or he may not. When it was rumored that DB was going to Yale a number of the guys were in an uproar and would have probably gone if DB hadn't decided to stay. Lots of factors play into it.

Reaction Score
Boogles my mind people post stuff with zero basis. Look at some draft boards and come back and make an informed post, please.

You will not find him rated lower than the #3 ILB and outside of the 2nd or 3rd round
Followed plenty of players and drafts, and I just don't see it. I think he could go very high in a year with an improved D-line in front.

Reaction Score

Lets say Todman went back to UCONN and posted the exact same stats as he did his junior year. Where did you see him going then? My guess? The exact same spot.

A very good running back at running the football, who wasn't a dynamic receiver, nor a good pass blocker. He was a fantastic college football player. Coming back for his senior year wouldn't change that, or his his draft position.

Reaction Score
Followed plenty of players and drafts, and I just don't see it. I think he could go very high in a year with an improved D-line in front.

I am not sure I follow. What would the D front do? Increase his tackles?

Smallwood has started two years. Scouts have plenty of game film on him. His skill set is not going to change just because he has better D Lineman in front of him.

Smallwood is an excellent linebacker, one of the best in the Nation. He runs sideline to sideline, will blow up a blocker when needed, and can make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He would be foolish not to leave.

Reaction Score
I am not sure I follow. What would the D front do? Increase his tackles?

Smallwood has started two years. Scouts have plenty of game film on him. His skill set is not going to change just because he has better D Lineman in front of him.

Smallwood is an excellent linebacker, one of the best in the Nation. He runs sideline to sideline, will blow up a blocker when needed, and can make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He would be foolish not to leave.

A good D-line increases linebacker production - more tackles for losses, more sacks, more ints with pressure. Game is coming to him right now, not vice versa. He will leave money on the table. The question is not whether he is excellent. It is a question of money. He could go a lot higher with a great season of production.

Reaction Score
A good D-line increases linebacker production - more tackles for losses, more sacks, more ints with pressure. Game is coming to him right now, not vice versa. He will leave money on the table. The question is not whether he is excellent. It is a question of money. He could go a lot higher with a great season of production.

You're overstating this. By a lot. Scouts love his measurables and the production he showed on tape his first two years. He is on a horrible team and the first few games he was flanked by Lbers a couple of notches below what we had the first two years under P. His draft slot is going to come down to the combine.

He stands a greater chance of serious injury than improving his draft stock that much more by coming back IMO.

Reaction Score
I never knew the NFL scouts were unable to properly evaluate backers that played behind mediocre or bad lines. Fascinating stuff.

Reaction Score
You're overstating this. By a lot. Scouts love his measurables and the production he showed on tape his first two years. He is on a horrible team and the first few games he was flanked by Lbers a couple of notches below what we had the first two years under P. His draft slot is going to come down to the combine.

He stands a greater chance of serious injury than improving his draft stock that much more by coming back IMO.
Agree that the combine is important and can move players up and down. As a former MLB I appreciate a good line. They create seams and opportunities. Nothing worse than O-linemen pushing into the next layer. Blowing up plays starts at the D-line with push and penetration. My point is that I think he puts up better numbers with a better D-line. Now, we can argue whether it will be better next year, but my thinking is he can improve his position by staying. Could be wrong.

Reaction Score
His draft status will be dictated by what he does after the season:
1. NFL Combine
2. Individual workouts/interviews
3. TEam needs

someone mentioned Jaime Collins from the patriots. Luke Kuechly and Patrick willis both played on 4-8 teams. Both crushed post season workouts and projected well at the next level.

Let's face it, the transition from the college to pro game is completely different. His college stats won't be a big factor.

Reaction Score
Agree that the combine is important and can move players up and down. As a former MLB I appreciate a good line. They create seams and opportunities. Nothing worse than O-linemen pushing into the next layer. Blowing up plays starts at the D-line with push and penetration. My point is that I think he puts up better numbers with a better D-line. Now, we can argue whether it will be better next year, but my thinking is he can improve his position by staying. Could be wrong.

Mock draft updated today: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Going in Round 2. The d-line he plays behind in college means nothing when it comes to his draft position.

Reaction Score
Mock draft updated today: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Going in Round 2. The d-line he plays behind in college means nothing when it comes to his draft position.
We'll see. He will likely go because there is no stability in the program in any case. Id love to see him go round 2, I just cant get my head there. Maybe the PGDL mind experiment has sufficiently ruined my objective outlook on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom