Yawin Smallwood to Enter 2014 Draft | The Boneyard

Yawin Smallwood to Enter 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on this one. I'm all for guys leaving early to get their money and create a better financial situation for their families. But I would love to see him enter the draft after a better year playing under a better DC in 2014. Ironically, had he entered after last season under Don Brown, he might have been picked before Sio Moore. If our new coach brought in a DC that encouraged more pressure and athleticism, I think Smallwood could really boost his draft stock. But then again, the uncertainty of what the new coach will do (and after this loooooong miserable season), I can't blame him for leaving while he is healthy.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That reads more like speculation than fact to me...

"UConn redshirt junior LB Yawin Smallwood will enter the 2014 NFL Draft, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
"A northeast scout for an AFC North team told me they've been doing plenty of advanced scouting in anticipation for Smallwood’s entry into the draft," Pauline adds. The Husky projects as a mid-round selection at inside linebacker, and Pauline compares Smallwood to David Harris. Oct 22 - 9:26 AM"

Reaction Score
Man the Giant's could sure use a guy like him on the team!!!Starting with O-line and LB to a great RB.I hope they use a NE Pat technique and trade down if they get a top 10 pick(looks like lottery now)and accumulate 3 or 4 extra early rd pics and get some new life for TCoughlin's weak O-line and LBer corps!!Hope YS is available late 2nd/early3rd.

Reaction Score
Probably not a surprise, but the first "official" statement that I have read.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131753/yawin-smallwood

I'm just wondering where the "news" is. There are NO quotes from YS, or family members, or present or former coaches or even friends. It's all based on the info this one draft "insider" got from a scout who said they are scouting YS in anticipation of his entering the draft. That sounds real solid to me...at least enough so to make a speculative stab into a factual headline.

Reaction Score
Every team has to put up with this nonsense but most of these kids have humble origins and if their getting a 3rd rd grade or better there usually gone.I remember being pissed about RU's RB Juwan Jamison going after his soph year with a mid round grade after 2 decent seasons and waited till the 7th rd b4 the redskins took him and I think he was a last cut!He was only 5'7''185 or so and would have been a 2nd or 3rd pic if he waited one more year and might have been more prepared for the rigors!!Now that was a mistake!I'm pretty sure YS will stick in the league for 7/10 years with luck....tough,determined kid w/a high FB IQ!

Reaction Score
the kid was recruited by one coach under different defensive philosophy, played under another coach with a different defense philosophy for the first two years, saw that defensive coordinator leave and head coach fired. probably doesn't want to have to start all over again, don't blame him. really hope it works out for him

Reaction Score
If Yawin is truly a mid round draft pick(top 3-4 rounds) he should go and not look back. Obviously I would love to have him back for next year but in football with careers being so short these guys need to take advantage of making money as soon as they can.

Plus what has UConn done to make him think coming back would actually help his stock?

Reaction Score
Scouts know about him and his situation, he'll leave and get drafted in the top 3-4 rounds. If this year is a down year for him (I don't know) I don't think it hurts him. Scouts will look at the team's situation and cut him some slack and just go off his older film.

Reaction Score
Patriots took Jamie Collins in rd2 after an 0-12 season at So. Miss., in which Collins did not play as well as he had in previous years. Sometimes there's even a sense that kid like Smallwood may be under the radar because his team is so bad.

Reaction Score
That article says no such thing. There is no confirmation of anything

Almost all juniors are scouted and rated. Yawin will have a decision to make at the end of the year. Lot of players will.If he can improve his draft status by staying he probably should stay. But if he is guaranteed by some team to be taken in the second or third round if he is there, he would have to go.

There are also considerations like how many LBs are in front of him this year and how many there will be next year. That will play into his decision as well.

Reaction Score
Every player UConn gets in the league is a living embodiement/advertisement of the UConn development program and kids start to associate UConn with FB excellence and success.It might hurt here short term but can only help with recruiting going forward.

Reaction Score
mistake.

Why? Because you will miss him? He has nothing else to prove. If you know you will get drafted you go, especially when your college team is in a state of flux, it's not like we expect to be competing for a title next year. He has a better chance of turning pro and getting a super bowl ring then he does of staying here and winning anything of significance.

Reaction Score
Probably not a surprise, but the first "official" statement that I have read.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131753/yawin-smallwood

What makes this "official"?

Read the source article/website - http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=7696

They also have Ty Mer Brown sliding down the list.

>>Ty-Meer Brown/S/Connecticut: Its been a terrible season for the UConn Huskies, whose record stands at 0-6. There’s talent on the defensive side of the ball but its been a leaky unit at times this season. Brown, whom we rated as a potential sixth round choice during our AAC preview, has struggled in coverage and looks more and more like a one-dimensional run defender. He lead UConn in tackles during the blowout loss to Cincinnati yet gave up several long receptions and on a number of occasions was late getting to the ball.<<

Reaction Score
He will go and should go. I think he is going to run a number at the combine that will surprise folks. I also think he he can carry more weight. All around best LB we've had here.

Reaction Score
mistake.

I think it must be the end of the world. You have somehow managed to fit all your daily allotment of ignorance, arrogance and blowhardery in one word.

Even if this is just a rumor, what possible reason can you give that he should come back? You have no idea what scouts are saying about him or what information he has. The kid is obviously an NFL talent and you know he will do fine at the combine. Scouts know it is not his fault UConn sucks donkey balls this year. They watched him the last two years often looking better than two guys who went in the 3rd and 4th rounds.Why should he stick around for a whole new coaching staff? If he is gonna have to adjust to a new system, why not an NFL system?

Reaction Score
BIG MISTAKE...All these kids see $$ signs in their heads and think they're going to be an NFL star...If he is really that good, he should be dominating on the defense this year..I haven't seen it. I'll believe it at the end of the season but still a BIG MISTAKE...If he can graduate after this year then go, but if not get your degree and work more on your game and your stock will go up....

Reaction Score
BIG MISTAKE...All these kids see signs in their heads and think they're going to be an NFL star...If he is really that good, he should be dominating on the defense this year..I haven't seen it. I'll believe it at the end of the season but still a BIG MISTAKE...If he can graduate after this year then go, but if not get your degree and work more on your game and your stock will go up....

What are the negatives you see with Smallwood that makes you think it is a mistake?

I see a player who has great size, explosion, and can run sideline to sideline. He is not going to improve his stock coming back, as he looks to be considered an ILB in the pros (I think he would be awesome as a 3-4 outside backer). He is looking at 2nd - 4th round, IMO.

He can always come back and get his degree. The middle pick in the 3rd round, Markus Wheaton, has a first year salary of $405,000 with a signing bonus of $591,000. Almost $1,000,000 for his first year. This sport is unforgiving on the body, he can be knocked out with a career ending injury if he comes back. Then what?

I heard the same thing with Jordan Todman. Everyone said he should have stayed to get his stock up. What exactly could Todman have done by returning to school, other than injuring himself? Teams already had a ton of film on him. The same with Smallwood. They have two full years of tape on him. How exactly can he improve his stock in the eyes of scouts?

Reaction Score
You have somehow managed to fit all your daily allotment of ignorance, arrogance and blowhardery in one word.

If only you could post one word to show your ignorance, arrogance and blowhardery.

He stated an opinion. That's it...just an opinion.

Reaction Score
BIG MISTAKE...All these kids see signs in their heads and think they're going to be an NFL star...If he is really that good, he should be dominating on the defense this year..I haven't seen it. I'll believe it at the end of the season but still a BIG MISTAKE...If he can graduate after this year then go, but if not get your degree and work more on your game and your stock will go up....

If you looked at one of the 100s of draft prospects rankings you would see that you are completely wrong.

Reaction Score
Definitely not as official as the OP made it out to be but if true, it's the right move for him as I think he'll end up having a similar pre-draft experience as Sio: Get everyone's attention at one of the all-star games and then seal a high draft position at the combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom