Yanks | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Yanks

Reaction Score
You could say the same thing about every single team in baseball regarding an ace. It was the hitting that let them down this postseason. The Yankees scored: 7, 2, 1, 3, 4, 4 in the 6 games this series and left countless runners on base.

I think the Yankees post season managerial strategy needs to change. You can't burn your pen out by Game 3 of the ALCS. You just have to trust your starters to give your more length than the Yankees are asking.

Well when your starters aren't getting it done and you are going up against future hall of famers every night that's the strategy you have to use. Which is why they need an ace. And need Severino to stay healthy and pitch like an ace or #2 like he's shown the potential to be. No excuse not to make the best offer for Cole, if he doesn't accept he doesn't accept.

Offensively I would like more of a balance of contact guys to go along with the all power guys, but its easier said than done to make those changes. If Andujar can play first letting Didi go and moving Torres to short and DJ to 2nd could help. Letting Edwin go and finding a more contact oriented DH or outfielder and moving Stanton to DH is probably the biggest thing they could do. A lot of people want to move on from Sanchez, but its not exactly easy to find good contact oriented catchers.

All that said, we were probably the 2nd best team this year, and we lost 2 of the 5 games on walkoffs. We need a stud pitcher and then some tweaks. Not far off.

Reaction Score
Well when your starters aren't getting it done and you are going up against future hall of famers every night that's the strategy you have to use. Which is why they need an ace. And need Severino to stay healthy and pitch like an ace or #2 like he's shown the potential to be. No excuse not to make the best offer for Cole, if he doesn't accept he doesn't accept.

Offensively I would like more of a balance of contact guys to go along with the all power guys, but its easier said than done to make those changes. If Andujar can play first letting Didi go and moving Torres to short and DJ to 2nd could help. Letting Edwin go and finding a more contact oriented DH or outfielder and moving Stanton to DH is probably the biggest thing they could do. A lot of people want to move on from Sanchez, but its not exactly easy to find good contact oriented catchers.

All that said, we were probably the 2nd best team this year, and we lost 2 of the 5 games on walkoffs. We need a stud pitcher and then some tweaks. Not far off.
I was listening to the postgame press conference and they asked Boone what do you do to overcome the separation between Astros and you.

I was thinking my answer would be “Separation?? What did they win 1-2 more games than us over a 162 game season?? And just beat is in Game 7 w a walk off home run......is there really that much separation??” Couple things go right, Yanks won the series. Would they be talking about separation then? There is a great young nucleus there. Chill out.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You can't judge a team's hitting by the four games they lost in the ALCS. They out hit the Astros. Great pitching and a short sample can make you look bad. They hit all year, through the Twins series and into the first game of this series.
Every year we struggle with starters. The need is not even close. The last ace we brought on was Tanaka. Before him, CC.
get a true ace, let Sevi get strong and hope that German is stretched out and strong enough ( and stops beating his family) and I like our chances.
and please let Encarcion and Happ go.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Kemba is obviously a great mind.

Reaction Score
Assuming the Yankees don't make a big free agent signing, like a Rendon, what do you see as the Yankees' starting infield next season? Do they bring back Didi? Does Greg Bird still have a place in their long-term plans? How about Luke Voit and Mike Ford? Did Gio's late season slide raise red flags? Does Miguel Andujar's defense take him out of the equation?

My guess is that they re-sign Didi, to at least a one-year contract and put him back at short. Keep Gleyber at 2nd where he seems to have found his niche. DJ is somewhat wasted at 1B, but he's their best option and then go with whomever has the best Spring between Gio & Andujar for 3B.

Reaction Score
Assuming the Yankees don't make a big free agent signing, like a Rendon, what do you see as the Yankees' starting infield next season? Do they bring back Didi? Does Greg Bird still have a place in their long-term plans? How about Luke Voit and Mike Ford? Did Gio's late season slide raise red flags? Does Miguel Andujar's defense take him out of the equation?

My guess is that they re-sign Didi, to at least a one-year contract and put him back at short. Keep Gleyber at 2nd where he seems to have found his niche. DJ is somewhat wasted at 1B, but he's their best option and then go with whomever has the best Spring between Gio & Andujar for 3B.
Andujar at 1st, DJ at 2nd, Gleyber at short, Gio at 3rd, Didi is gone.

Reaction Score
I like Ford, not muscle bound, good ball player. Lefty needed in lineup, short porch.

Reaction Score
However, this does highlight why having a team of guys that can hit for average is so important. It made this a very tough decision because the next guy up wasn't just an average hitter.

Actually, he was. Marisnick was on deck and would have nowhere near the chance to win the game against Chapman than Altuve.

Reaction Score
The ALCS was won at the trade deadline. Houston made the moves and NYY stood put. Give me Gio, DJ, Gleyber as the nucleus going forward with some actual ace starting pitchers. El Gary sucked and Judge did not step up. Hated the Stanton signing 2 years ago. Last thing they needed was another HR or nothing bat.

I also hated the whole savages thing. It was such forced bravado. The 2019 version of the New York, New York boom box by the Red Sox lockeroom after winning one game. Immature and if I were an opponent I would see it as a sign of weakness. Confident mentally strong teams don't have to constantly beat their chests and let you know how tough they are. They do what DJ and Altuve did in the 9th and let you know when it counts on the field. Didn't see the 90s teams having to resort to that.

They better find something extra because they came up short the last 3 years and Houston isn't going anywhere.

I still can't believe George Springer played at my school and I never even saw a game of his. Great job by the Hathaway era marketing dept. He's probably the biggest UConn pro star right now with Kemba.
What in THE... ? El Gary sucked. Sure. And he was out injured for the end of the regular season with no minor league games to rehab in. I'll give that one a pass.

How was the "whole savages thing forced bravado"???? It was a hot mic pickup from Aaron Boone defending his hitters against horrific umpiring. The polar opposite of "forced". The 90s teams that you don't see doing something like that had shirts made picking up on Mariano Duncan's "We play today, we win today, das it". Same kind of thing. It was just a theme they rallied around, and Gardner's bat to the dugout roof was a far bigger one.

The Yankees will be just fine. They had guys hurt left and right, INCLUDING at the end of the season that never got a chance to rehab - Encarnacion, Sanchez, Stanton, etc. As someone else pointed out, if they had noticed that Ottavino struggled down the stretch and reduced his high leverage usage, they might have won that series.

Reaction Score
Actually, he was. Marisnick was on deck and would have nowhere near the chance to win the game against Chapman than Altuve.
Yeah, I forgot he was put in that slot after being a pinch runner. The battle is between going strictly by the odds and also accounting for how clutch a guy is. Technically, Marisnick was probably more likely to get a hit than Altuve was to get an extra base hit. But Altuve is clutch and Marisnick probably isn't.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yeah, I forgot he was put in that slot after being a pinch runner. The battle is between going strictly by the odds and also accounting for how clutch a guy is. Technically, Marisnick was probably more likely to get a hit than Altuve was to get an extra base hit. But Altuve is clutch and Marisnick probably isn't.

your second to last second is correct. But how are you measuring it? There’s no actual evidence that “clutch” hitting exists, and you dont have large enough sample sizes to make meaningful assertions.

Reaction Score
your second to last second is correct. But how are you measuring it? There’s no actual evidence that “clutch” hitting exists, and you dont have large enough sample sizes to make meaningful assertions.
There probably is evidence but I am not going to bother researching it. I have watched enough sports in my life to know there are clutch players. It comes down to mental focus under pressure. Kemba says hi.

Reaction Score
The Sir Didi era is over. I guess it's not a surprise after the Yanks declined the qualifying offer, but I still hoped he'd sign the one year, make good contract with the Yanks that he signed with Philadelphia. I wish him luck. He was a solid Yankee.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
How about RISP?

Reaction Score
The numbers from Cole are just eye-opening. I am for it, but wow. Not the $36 per year, the sheer length of the deal.

I would just have paid him $50 million a year for 5 years, wonder if he would have went for it. 9 is a very long time.

Reaction Score
The Sir Didi era is over. I guess it's not a surprise after the Yanks declined the qualifying offer, but I still hoped he'd sign the one year, make good contract with the Yanks that he signed with Philadelphia. I wish him luck. He was a solid Yankee.

He replaced a living legend in Jeter with grace and actually better numbers with his glove and his bat in comparsion to the Captain's later years. Not an easy thing to do. I can only wish him the best.

Reaction Score
The numbers from Cole are just eye-opening. I am for it, but wow. Not the $36 per year, the sheer length of the deal.

I would just have paid him $50 million a year for 5 years, wonder if he would have went for it. 9 is a very long time.
Boras is a master at getting the Yankees to compete against themselves. Yeah, the contract is too long for a pitcher. But after Strasburg's deal, Cole had all the leverage. Cole gets the option to jump after 5 years, and the security of 9 years if he wears down. Gotta believe the Dodgers/Angels were north of Strasburg with their offers. Cole's arguably been more durable than Strasburg and he's younger. If he can help NY get a few titles early in the deal, it'll be worth it for Steinbrenner.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Boras is a master at getting the Yankees to compete against themselves. Yeah, the contract is too long for a pitcher. But after Strasburg's deal, Cole had all the leverage. Cole gets the option to jump after 5 years, and the security of 9 years if he wears down. Gotta believe the Dodgers/Angels were north of Strasburg with their offers. Cole's arguably been more durable than Strasburg and he's younger. If he can help NY get a few titles early in the deal, it'll be worth it for Steinbrenner.
While Boras has a knack to get teams to compete against themselves, I don't believe this was exactly an A-Rod to Texas situation. The Angels and Dodgers were said to be heavily involved in the bidding to the point that Jeff Passan (IIRC) reported that the Angels thought they had him around $310M.

Reaction Score

I would just have paid him $50 million a year for 5 years, wonder if he would have went for it. 9 is a very long time

And offer him 74 million less not a chance, Boras and Cole would have laughed at that offer and Cole would be an Angel. There was no way he was ever gonna get under 300 mill and under 8 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom