Yankees Snag Gerrit Cole...9 years | The Boneyard

Yankees Snag Gerrit Cole...9 years

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Holy crap!! They have a playoff ace!!

Reaction Score
That’s...a lot of money. I don’t know how that will play out 5 years from now but I think the Yankees are clear favorites next year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Prediction: A clean-shaven, short-haired Cole is gonna be less a pitcher than a scruffy, wild-haired Cole.

And his proclivity to give up long balls is going to be more prolific.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Prediction: A clean-shaven, short-haired Cole is gonna be less a pitcher than a scruffy, wild-haired Cole.

And his proclivity to give up long balls is going to be more prolific.
I don't know the situational proclivity is but he pitched in a bandbox. And is going to another.

I'll take the 11:1 K:HR ratio

Reaction Score
I understand that 324m over 9 years is A LOT but this is the Yankees we are talking about here. They print money...look at their revenues vs expenses over the last few years. If you're the front office, you need to capitalize on this opportunity. Young core, in need of a front end ace...go get your guy.

Cole is worth every dollar too IMO, some stats I saw on twitter this morning...in 2019 he struck out a higher % of batters than all but 3 qualified relief pitchers. Short inning reliever level dominance with a full starter workload....weee woo! More 2019 stats and where they ranked among qualified starters: 212 IP (4th), 2.50 ERA (3rd), 2.64 FIP (2nd), 326K (1st), 48 BB (21st), 7.4 WAR (1st). Bottom line, I think this was the right move 100%

Reaction Score
I think he's going to be great for them. For 5-6 years. You're paying the extra 35m a year for 4 years on the back end to get those years though. These long, huge contracts never, ever work out over the entire span of the contract -- ARod, Pujols, Ryan Howard, etc. This contract will hamstring them at some point....you just roll the dice the front half was worth it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We will never need to pray he can get us 5 innings. He WILL get us 7.

Reaction Score
Who cares about the money, it's not mine.

You care because, in the latter half of this contract, it hamstrings your team from going out and getting fresh players that they might need.

Look at the Angels. With Pujols, Trout and now Rendon, they can't fill their other needs, mainly starting pitching. Who's their #1? Andrew Heaney?

Reaction Score
I think he's going to be great for them. For 5-6 years. You're paying the extra 35m a year for 4 years on the back end to get those years though. These long, huge contracts never, ever work out over the entire span of the contract -- ARod, Pujols, Ryan Howard, etc. This contract will hamstring them at some point....you just roll the dice the front half was worth it.

He fills such an obvious need, and makes them such a clear favorite for the next two years given their offense and bullpen, that you have to do it. Like in business, you pay a premium to acquire a company if it gives you a competitive advantage.

Reaction Score
He fills such an obvious need, and makes them such a clear favorite for the next two years given their offense and bullpen, that you have to do it. Like in business, you pay a premium to acquire a company if it gives you a competitive advantage.

Oh, I agree it's the right move today. And, it weakens their biggest AL rival for a double payoff.

Reaction Score
Cole and Stanton will make $62 million next year.

The Orioles roster will make $59 million next year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You care because, in the latter half of this contract, it hamstrings your team from going out and getting fresh players that they might need.

Look at the Angels. With Pujols, Trout and now Rendon, they can't fill their other needs, mainly starting pitching. Who's their #1? Andrew Heaney?

if pujols wants another ring, he should do a Bonilla and take a couple mill for next 25 years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cole and Stanton will make $62 million next year.

The Orioles roster will make $59 million next year.
Thanks for your interest in Yankee besbol.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your interest in Yankee besbol.

Hope it works out better than Ellsbury. Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for IBM. They have a huge competitive advantage over their competitors but they lack innovation and their success seems merely a legacy of their past.

Reaction Score
Hope it works out better than Ellsbury. Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for IBM. They have a huge competitive advantage over their competitors but they lack innovation and their success seems merely a legacy of their past.

I’m hesitant to defend the Yankees here, but much of their roster is made up of talent that they drafted and developed. The reason to sign Cole now Is to try to win championships in the two - three year window that you have before you have to start paying all of those young guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yankee fans like mau must feel like fools right now. I would accuse the Yankees of buying a pennant but they would have to win a pennant first.

Reaction Score

Must not have been following the moves Cashman has made since 2016 when he did a complete rebuild from an aging roster, and not much of a minor league system to what it is today. Signing guys like Gio Urshela to a minor league deal and having him play GG caliber D and bat over .300, signing DJ Lemaheiu to a 2 year 12 mill deal and he puts up a MVP caliber season any team could have signed those guys,trading away a scrub like Chasen Shreve for Luke Voit who was a throw in in a trade to get international bonus pool money, with that bonus pool money went out and got this guy who will be here during Coles tenure Get to know Jasson Dominguez, No. 1 ranked international prospect signed by Yankees: 'A teenage Mike Trout'.

Reaction Score
One thing you gotta factor in is the state income tax in NY, FA will always cost more,. Yankees have lost out on pitchers like Chris Sale, Verlander, and Cole. Yankees tried to get Cole from the Pirates in a trade Cashman was willing to trade away Andujar and Frazier, Pirates said no they asked for Gleyber so the trade was off, then the Pirates go and trade him to the Astros.

Understand teams do wanna try and fleece the Yankees in a trade even for average pitchers, and are willing to give away their guy to the Yankees competitors for less. Cole being a FA everything was 100 percent in Cashmans hands and he took advantage.

Reaction Score
Yankee fans like mau must feel like fools right now. I would accuse the Yankees of buying a pennant but they would have to win a pennant first.

Ya just let Cole go to the Angels, every team who wins has bought players. Dbacks in 2001 go and get Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, that team has a lot of vets on that team and were an expansion team, Marlins in 97, Redsox in 04 had Manny, Ortiz, Schilling and Pedro, Sox had the highest payroll last world series, Cubs in 2016, Nationals bought Scherzer and Corbin.

Its funny the Yankees do the get a player in FA and their quote on quote buying a world series but if another team does it their trying to win a world series.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m hesitant to defend the Yankees here, but much of their roster is made up of talent that they drafted and developed. The reason to sign Cole now Is to try to win championships in the two - three year window that you have before you have to start paying all of those young guys.
Yes. Meanwhile, the vaunted Astros made it to the world series this year throwing basically three pitchers - Verlander, Greinke, and Cole - NONE of which are products of the Astros system. And literally nobody has a word to say about it.

Reaction Score
This is so unbelievably dumb. Did the Red Sox "buy a pennant" in 2018 with JD Martinez and David Price ? I fail to see how that is even remotely different.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is so unbelievably dumb. Did the Red Sox in 2018 with JD Martinez and David Price ? I fail to see how that is even remotely different.
It isn't. But Yankee fans gave Sox fans tons of crap about "buying a pennant" and highest payroll last year. If you can't beat em join em.

Reaction Score
It isn't. But Yankee fans gave Sox fans tons of crap about "buying a pennant" and highest payroll last year. If you can't beat em join em.

Well, the Sox have been giving the 'Evil Empire' grief for the same reason for several decades until about 5 years ago when their payroll balloned and the Yanks went into re-build mode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom