Yale Bowl | The Boneyard

Yale Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I left Ct a few years ago so I'm not sure of the condition of the Bowl.
But it was always an incredible place to watch a game from minus modern comforts.
Its pratically a national landmark.
Why not play an annual game there maybe in co-ordination with the Camp foundation or for local charities? We need the PR and and need to become Connecticut's football team.
You could even get someone to donate retro uniforms. It would draw national attention to the game and us. Schools like Mich and Neb and any school that values tradition would eat it up.
Also a good recruiting tool.
New Haven is also pretty easy to get to. People could even come by train from NYC or Boston to enhance the party.
Think outside the box its a better idea than a blue field.

Reaction Score
1256875135103.gif

AZ - use the search function on the upper righthand side to search Yale Bowl. Discussed ad nauseam.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Some generous Yale grad left 254 million in a trust fund for the renovation of the bowl which I believe finished 2 years ago,the new bowl seating was reduced by 10k place was restored back to it's original look of 1914 when it opened, the bowl will be celebrating it's 100th anniversary in 2014 and it looks great.as far as playing out of conference games there I don't think the Yalies have any interest in it no matter the cost,the next slated addition to the bowl is supposed to be a plaza from the Walter camp entrance to the press box area honoring all past players weather it happens we will see lord knows their is still a ton of money in the fund.

Reaction Score
They let the Giants Play.
They let the US soccer team play there.
Why not one major college game for Connecticut charities?
Yale and could use the PR

Reaction Score
They let the Giants Play.
They let the US soccer team play there.
Why not one major college game for Connecticut charities?
Yale and could use the PR

Neighbors let nothing but the home Yale games and the Women's Tournament take place... have functionally shut everything else non-Yale related down.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Neighbors let nothing but the home Yale games and the Women's Tournament take place... have functionally shut everything else non-Yale related down.

The neighbors don't 'shut down games,' the city lets the neighbors shut down the games. But they can suck it. First of all, most of the homes around there aren't owner occupied, and second, the stadium is about 100 years old. Unless a homeowner is 110 and bought their home when they were 9 they knew what they were getting.

Reaction Score
The neighbors don't 'shut down games,' the city lets the neighbors shut down the games. But they can suck it. First of all, most of the homes around there aren't owner occupied, and second, the stadium is about 100 years old. Unless a homeowner is 110 and bought their home when they were 9 they knew what they were getting.

I agree 100% but its hard for us to judge that situation seeing as we let those surrounding "The Rent" regulate our noise level as well. Soon after The Rent opened, the surrounding East Hartford Residents went ballistic, especially after the Springsteen concert over the noise levels. As a result all noise levels have been regulated to include the PA system at Uconn games, which is why this stadium was built in the first place! Just another example of CT making a "big time" opportunity "small time" on a minor level! The thing that got me was that those East Hartford residents KNEW they were living next to a zoned airfield, specifically for military aircraft, and still made an issue out of it and we caved. They were flying CH-53's, which is the Marine Corps heavy lift helicopter out of there as late as the late 80's early 90's for gods sake, and those are some loud birds. I guess the stadium is infringing on their rights to live a peaceful life etc.......

Reaction Score
Not sure it would be at the Yale Bowl, but UConn's Newtown tragedy scolarship fund could serve as the catalyst for a big time charity game at Yale Bowl, Giants Stadium, Gillette or The Rent. Maybe Va Tech--with proceeds being split between the charity funds of both schools. I'm sure there are many other options and ideas.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Not sure it would be at the Yale Bowl, but UConn's Newtown tragedy scolarship fund could serve as the catalyst for a big time charity game at Yale Bowl, Giants Stadium, Gillette or The Rent. Maybe Va Tech--with proceeds being split between the charity funds of both schools. I'm sure there are many other options and ideas.

This is a nice idea, something along the lines of the Jimmy V Classic.

Reaction Score

This is a great idea, but only if it were at the Yale Bowl. The Yale Bowl would sell out for a Newtown charity event next year. Very few would actually want to travel to the terrible NFL venues out of state. I hate NFL stadiums for college games. The Yale Bowl is about 12 miles from Newtown.

Reaction Score
Maybe Georgia Tech will play a home game in Athens someday too.

Reaction Score
Does the Yale Bowl still have wooden bleacher seats, tailgate parking for 5,000 cars and restroom plumbing installed 100 years ago? Perfect choice for a UCONN game!

Reaction Score
I'd rather play a big name school at the Yale Bowl than drive to Massachusetts or New Jersey for the game. As much as Fenway would be a novelty so would Yale Bowl. Playing one league game there a year would be something to get more Fairfield county fans buyin in to the season tx. We would have to be very good to get a majority of our fans to commute to Foxborough for any game. Making that ride for a likely thumping is not going to attract anyone who is not a diehard or many casuals from Mass. for that matter. UConn-Penn State at the Yale Bowl-why not?

Reaction Score
The last time I went to Yale-Harvard was 2007, I think. I planned it out to get there right as the lots opened for tailgating and the last mile of rte 34, right by the stadium I sat in gridlock traffic for about 2 1/2 hours. I think we got in the stadium right before kickoff. Traffic there during high capacity games can be a disaster. Back in the glory days of Yale football, New Haven had a trolley system that a lot of people used to get to the games - a lot of the spectators lived in the city. The infrastructure is not designed for a lot of auto traffic.
Additionally there are no lights at the stadium and the press box is open air so even if you did it it would have to be an early kickoff, early in the season before the weather gets ugly and the night creeps in before dinnertime.

I imagine you'd also have to have Yale's blessing since it is their stadium as well. It's not public property.

Reaction Score
I love Yale Bowl as much as anyone. I went to my first college game there in the early 60's to see Yale vs. Colgate as a field trip. Our midget league hired a bus & our coaches took us. We sat in the scoreboard end zone. Starting in 1970, I never missed a UConn-Yale game. I went to the 100th anniversary Harvard-Yale game.
That said, this CAN'T be an option. It would be a perception disaster. Here's the litany of reasons why:
1. The RENT is 20 miles off campus. The perception is already built in by the traditional football world that
UConn is marketing to the masses at the expense of the students. (never mind about the infrastructure issues).
2. The RENT will never get expanded if Yale Bowl is an option. It would be held as a sword of Damocles over the AD by major opponents & the legislative powers that be. Where as holding a game in the Meadowlands, Yankee Stadium or the Razor could be used for purposes of expanding the fan base boundaries, a game at Yale is well within UConn's home territory & is only perceived as a money grab.
3. The logistics of holding a game at Yale would not be cost effective unless UConn was generously reimbursed by the network televising the event. We're assuming that holding this event is a made for television moment. Is so, then it must be a night event for best casual fan viewing. Let's assume that it's a Wednesday or Thursday ESPN game (something that UConn has done many times previously.) Here are some of the costs that UConn would be on the hook for: Yale's rental fee (if the Eli's would agree to use of the stadium), overtime for public safety to the cities of New Haven, West Haven, State Police, etc., installation of temporary lighting to the Bowl (if that is even possible) & adjacent parking areas.
4. Figuring out a way to keep away the party crashers. Games at Yale Bowl are rich in lore of hordes of people descending on the parking areas only to attend the tail gate parties. If UConn is agreeing to play this game as a television event, the Bowl must be at capacity during the game. How does or should UConn police the lots to assure that fans will actually pack up their tailgates to actually attend the game itself?
5. Another perception factor: What does it say about UConn to the public at large about the University annually renting the stadium of another institution because the RENT'S capacity isn't adequate?

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last time I went to Yale Bowl, the "urinal" was a sheet of plywood standing on a bed of stones. The doesn't fly anymore.

Reaction Score
Last time I went to Yale Bowl, the "urinal" was a sheet of plywood standing on a bed of stones. The doesn't fly anymore.
They've upgraded to unused horse troughs.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom