XLent Attendance | Page 3 | The Boneyard

XLent Attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I go to 10-12 games a year. It's as many as I can. If I didn't work nights/weekends, I'd go to more. For chrissakes, I did an entire vacation around a road UCF game last year.
Ahem
I think Fishy has something for you (just white out "The Smart One" and insert "zls44"):

Certificate2_Page_1.jpg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
8893 said:
I think Fishy has something for you (just white out "The Smart One" and insert "zls44"):

As long as I get a laminated card I can carry with me. I have only a few demands, that's one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As long as I get a laminated card I can carry with me. I have only a few demands, that's one.
Should be easier to manage than the Oak Leaf Cluster with Gold Filigree thingies Dr. Dos used to award.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I work for a living, so I won't apologize that my schedule precludes me from having season tickets. Why can't Uconn act like Kentucky, UNC, MSU and all the other big time programs people complain they aren't compared to? Buildup of Storrs Center will transform the area to the point where, yes, we CAN expect a local base that can support big crowds for even bad ooc games.

Play. On. Campus. Remember what the U in UConn stands for. And stop whining about traffic and sack up.

doesn't matter in the grand scheme, but they move it all up to Storrs and there's two less people getting season tickets.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but the team usually struggles in them. I'd prefer, I dunno, 3 PM tipoff?
Yep, UConn has historically struggled with noon, 1 and even 2PM games on weekends due to the hangover effect. However, I'd argue counter-intuitively that 11AM is better than 3. With a 3PM games players will think they can go out until whenever and have plenty of time to recover for the game. They stay out until 2AM and consume that much more. With an 11AM there is no messing around, gotta take it easy and even though they might not be asleep before midnight they are not going to rage hard. So hopefully if they are sluggish Saturday its just cuz they are sleepy and UConn is officially a 2nd half team anyway.

If Cincy is smart they'll try to win the first half by 20.

Reaction Score
I know people hate to admit it, but Hartford itself is on the uptick. The minor league baseball stadium and Hooker brewery would be fantastic additions. If there was a brewery to stop by after the game, I would be in love. A lot of young people are moving to the West End of Hartford, especially. But even downtown is seeing some resurgence. There are also a ton of great restaurants there.

I live in New Haven and quite frankly, the ride to Hartford is just a lot easier for me to talk myself into. Forget Fairfield County. It's a long way.

Maybe that makes us lesser fans. Dunno, don't care. I just know the XL Center isn't as terrible as people make it out to be, and I am excited to go there tomorrow morning for a nice, early game, and have the whole day ahead of me afterwards.

Reaction Score
I don't drink beer before noon. I needed a beer to make it through the first half of the USF game.

This may be a problem.

Reaction Score
I work for a living, so I won't apologize that my schedule precludes me from having season tickets. Why can't Uconn act like Kentucky, UNC, MSU and all the other big time programs people complain they aren't compared to? Buildup of Storrs Center will transform the area to the point where, yes, we CAN expect a local base that can support big crowds for even bad ooc games.

Play. On. Campus. Remember what the U in UConn stands for. And stop whining about traffic and sack up.

Kentucky doesn't play on campus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I go to 10-12 games a year. It's as many as I can. If I didn't work nights/weekends, I'd go to more. For chrissakes, I did an entire vacation around a road UCF game last year.

So then it makes no sense that you don't understand that the games in Hartford are more convienient for a lot of people. It allows them to do exactly what you'd like to do - go to more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From my Basketball Passport profile.

Whaler11, you were saying?

You missed my point. You kill people for not wanting to drive to Storrs - for the exact same reasons that you don't go to every game.

You work some nights and weekends. Others have kids. Some live/work in Fairfield County.

The extra time committment of a trip to Storrs is a barrier to a population of people attending.

You can tell them to get overthemselves - but that doesn't change their behaviors.

Reaction Score
I don't drink beer before noon. I needed a beer to make it through the first half of the USF game.

This may be a problem.

Pretty simple then, Ketel and Soda with a splash of Orange juice. Good for the attempt on a diet too. That way none of us drink beer before noon!;)

Reaction Score
That the school should build it's own 16,000-seat arena on campus.
Great idea if coupled with a parking facility to boot. Any thoughts on what may happen to Gampel Pavilion? Tear it up or donate it to the women's team?

zls44

Reaction Score
You missed my point. You kill people for not wanting to drive to Storrs - for the exact same reasons that you don't go to every game.

You work some nights and weekends. Others have kids. Some live/work in Fairfield County.

The extra time committment of a trip to Storrs is a barrier to a population of people attending.

You can tell them to get overthemselves - but that doesn't change their behaviors.

There's a difference between "I can't go because I like to be able to pay rent and have work" and "I can't go because its an extra 30 minutes each way, which has never stopped Kentucky fans* or UNC fans or Indiana fans or Duke fans or Michigan State fans or Kansas fans from going to games on-campus rather than in modern urban areas but I'm gonna be so ticked next time UConn isn't mentioned in the same breath as they are."

*Lexington is modern but I'm also not sure their fanbase is bright enough to navigate city streets

zls44

Reaction Score
Great idea if coupled with a parking facility to boot. Any thoughts on what may happen to Gampel Pavilion? Tear it up or donate it to the women's team?

Boston 2024

(I dunno, something, get in on the grift)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a difference between "I can't go because I like to be able to pay rent and have work" and "I can't go because its an extra 30 minutes each way, which has never stopped Kentucky fans* or UNC fans or Indiana fans or Duke fans or Michigan State fans or Kansas fans from going to games on-campus rather than in modern urban areas but I'm gonna be so ticked next time UConn isn't mentioned in the same breath as they are."

*Lexington is modern but I'm also not sure their fanbase is bright enough to navigate city streets

So your reasons are legitimate but other people's reasons are not.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
guys. its okay to be happy for the program that we are attaining excellent attendance at our games on and off campus without getting into a fight about whether or not all the games should be played in Storrs. I want an on campus arena and a freaking uconn expressway off 84 as much if not more than everyone else but it still makes me happy that we're drawing to our games regardless of where they are.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I had a ton of fun yesterday attending both games. Game casting the Pats during the hockey game was unnecessary since the guys watching the game in the lounge area were making enough noise to notify me of good plays.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I did the same except I watched the pats entirely before going to the hockey game late 2nd period, it good fun day 3-0.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing XL capacity as like 15.6k what's that about?

Reaction Score
Coming from the SW part of the state, it has less to do with driving an extra half hour and more to do with every minute mattering. Getting to Hartford at 7 is difficult enough on a weeknight but for anyone that works in the Norwalk/Stamford area to get to Storrs by 7 is a tall task. When you add in traffic getting on to campus it could take close to 3 hours door to seat from Stamford. If you factor in having to go home to pick up your family it becomes too difficult for the average fan (average fan being key here - hard to pack 10k+ without the average fan).
It's been awhile but my recollection of actually getting off campus after a game was brutal. In Hartford your back on an interstate in a few minutes.
That's huge when you have to get up the next day.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Thought the crowd at the game was great yesterday considering the early start time.

Was hoping that the fans other than the student section would be a little more into it down the stretch but they definitely got loud on the last 3 or so meaningful defensive possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom