Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1553274685408.gif

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Doesn't even have to be a new building. Can ask they look into the management structure in place now.

That's fair. I thought your original point was more about the building.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They will listen, but that is so far down the agenda right now (and Ive discussed it with people) . while Im a sports fan and would love to see a modern XL that keeps up with what fans are looking for in a venue experience, CT has far too many real challenges to address first. First rate coliseum for what? The wolf pack? and 8 mens basketball games? I know there is chicken or egg here, but that is an unjustifiable investment at this particular snapshot in time.

It’s not a problem with an easy solution.

None of these facilities in secondary cities make money. They just don’t - doesn’t really matter how nice it is.

So do you spend a ton of money to rehabilitate a business that you already know is a loser?

Factor in the state’s financial health after two or three decades of borrowing money that they gave away instead of investing into infrastructure and you have a perfect storm. The state is too broke to spend money on a “want” when they can’t even address things that are a “need.”

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That's fair. I thought your original point was more about the building.

It was, but I gotta be realistic about the situation, too. Even if there isn't a new arena possibility, surely there are smaller measures everyone can agree are improveable?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Convention Center cost $271 million when it opened in 2005. What a stupid investment.

And they have Mohegan Sun trying to put them out of business. The took the boat show for three years at a fraction of the CC bid.

Reaction Score
Excuse me? Personal attacks, incredibly rude, what is the point of such a comment? wow. I spent one year in Guatemala and helped a ton of students who have thanked me, I am proud of that year, so got a problem with that? That has nothing to do with my comment, btw either, making your statement even more pointless. Sorry not sorry, saw tonnnns of empty seats in the marquette game. So do you have anything to say about my actual comment?
There were not empty seats lol

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Convention Center cost $271 million when it opened in 2005. What a stupid investment.
What exactly goes on at the Connecticut Converntion Center that can’t be done in a hotel banquet room?

Reaction Score
Man, I was in Alabama for the last ten days and I've never waited longer in my life at everywhere I went. Waited for 30 minutes at Hertz for some guy to drive my rental car into the parking lot, and I've never waited for a rental car at all in my life. Waiting in line for coffee took like 5x longer than it does up north. It's really incredible to see how different it is
The South is a different animal for sure. We don’t realize how fast everyone moves in this region of the country until you spend time down there. I lived in FL for 5 years and grocery lines were excruciating.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
By noon everything near the arena was packed. Walked over to Federal - which was empty - but at least I could get booze. :)

BTW - is there a reason that there was only beer available in XL? Usually you can get mixed drinks. Is that an NCAA rule?
They ran out of mixed drinks by 2pm.

Reaction Score
I was only at the night session but agree with Whaler and BField that the crowd was great and Hartford was dealt a bad draw for times. Took at least 25 minutes standing in line and we were in before a lot of other fans behind us. Missed the first 4 minutes of the Nova game. For what it’s worth I was with a couple people who had never been to the XL before and I started talking about how many people in CT say we need to tear this place down and build a new stadium. They were surprised and thought overall the venue was pretty good. They both commented on the quality of the center scoreboard which happens to be a pet peeve of mine because it’s hard to see player stats. Overall the atmosphere was better than I expected. Just wish St. Mary’s could have pulled it out.

Speaking of scoreboard, is it structurally possible to get a scoreboard over the court in Gampel? Feel like this would go a long way with updating it. Also would improve their sound system.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

If that convention center number is correct at around $270, and this number $71M - Yard Goats is correct as well. It makes you wonder why they just wouldn't have done a new building.

By comparison, the Prudential Center in Newark cost approximately $380M.

Obviously there's probably some time value of money potential discrepancies between the projects..but still, Prudential Center is a fantastic two sport arena (Seton Hall / NJ Devils) and gets a ton of big names for concerts.

And Hartford has a AA baseball team and a glorified hotel lobby.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If that convention center number is correct at around $270, and this number $71M - Yard Goats is correct as well. It makes you wonder why they just wouldn't have done a new building.

By comparison, the Prudential Center in Newark cost approximately $380M.

Obviously there's probably some time value of money potential discrepancies between the projects..but still, Prudential Center is a fantastic two sport arena (Seton Hall / NJ Devils) and gets a ton of big names for concerts.

And Hartford has a AA baseball team and a glorified hotel lobby.

Correct.

That's why arenas are the best of all these admittedly bad investment ideas. At least you can use the things a lot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Correct.

That's why arenas are the best of all these admittedly bad investment ideas. At least you can use the things a lot.

Right, $71M for a AA baseball stadium is just a mind boggling decision considering you get what 65 ticketed events a year?

All the arenas are money losers for the cities/states, but as you said, at least you could have thrown UConn men's hoops, women's hoops, hockey, and legitimate concerts there.

Reaction Score
Not sure who decided to buy that scoreboard design for the XL but it is really lacking. Hard to find info on, no real player stats like they have at Gampel. Much of it is wasted space. With the tolls we won't be bonding for roads and bridges so it should be possible to build a new arena with bonding. Maybe this would give us a chance at a NHL hockey franchise if any decide to move.

Reaction Score
It’s not a problem with an easy solution.

None of these facilities in secondary cities make money. They just don’t - doesn’t really matter how nice it is.

So do you spend a ton of money to rehabilitate a business that you already know is a loser?

Factor in the state’s financial health after two or three decades of borrowing money that they gave away instead of investing into infrastructure and you have a perfect storm. The state is too broke to spend money on a “want” when they can’t even address things that are a “need.”
The decision to stop putting lipstick on the pig should have been easy a long time ago. The building hasn't been viable in over 15 years or so, it was a "need" to knock it down and build a new facility back then and it's still a need. CT. has never had forward thinking that's why all the cities have always been dead and why the state is now dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom