XL Center upgrades | The Boneyard

XL Center upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most are nice. Really not fond of the scoreboards though. Way to small to read player stats, time remaining, fouls and time is left. I give that an F

ForumRunner_20141109_180057.png

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I totally agree with your comment about the tiny fonts used for the individual statistics. Even in the lower bowl, you have to have 20/20 vision to read those stats.

My even bigger complaint is that they STILL are not displaying live team statistics. That is done both at Gampel and at Mohegan Sun. After all this money was spent on the XL Center upgrade, it's a gross disappointment that this wasn't done.

Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised to see the upgrades made at the XL Center. Hadn't read anything about this. Great colors. Whole place looks cleaner, including the restrooms.
As noted above, the scoreboard is a real looser. Font is way too small and no where are the game/team stats displayed.

Reaction Score
Global Spectrum could learn from University of Nebraska and PinnacleBank Arena:

2014-03-31 21.32.04.jpg

Reaction Score
I have a friend, Diane, who is one of the bosses at the XL, and I went to complain to her about the scoreboards at 1/2 time, and she smiled and said I know the scoreboards stink! She heard from 100's of fans all on scoreboards, stats and names way too small!
They should get rid of the TV screen and fill the board with lineups, stats, etc. I think most fans feel as I do!
The scoreboards in the corners were even worse!
+ most UCONN fans are an older crowd that can barely SEE the scoreboard let alone read the minny print!
Can you imagine the $1,000's of dollars they paid for that crap?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why would they do such a thing... sure is one way to keep a fan home, rather silly IMO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I foresee a rise in binocular sales in the Hartford area.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
my first time in the XL Center in a few years... very impressed with everything, the Bar, the bathrooms, wider hallways, and no doors to enter any seating section (imagine carrying a tray a of food and someone comes busting out of the doors as you're entering) great idea. Enjoyed myself

Reaction Score
Overall, they did take the arena amenities up a few notches. It surely needed it! The scoreboard for all the reasons mentioned above is a total waste of electricity for what it tells you. Considering the overall size it's frustrating. Maybe the money they needed went into the new ball park or the soccer stadium fiasco? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Back on Nov. 4th after the first exhibition game, I sent the following e-mail to the management of the XL Center:

Hi! I'm a big UCONN WBB fan and season ticket holder at the XL Center & Gampel! I've discussed with many fans at the XL Center about the new scoreboards and the excessive music at every pause!
The scoreboards SUCK BIG-TIME! Fans don't want TV screens if they want TV they'd stay home! You can't see the names, #'s, stats, of players because they're so small and they don't give all 5 players on the court for either team, they rotate 4 players not 5!
For example #3, #4, #11, & #30 were up rotating for UCONN not the 5th player!
The small scoreboards at diagonal angles are so small you can't make anything out!
The music played at every stoppage of play for 5 or 6 seconds is annoying!
Many fans are pissed about the above! Fans want Names, #'s and lots of Stats!
Get rid of both the lousy scoreboards and the worthless music!
The XL Center is the worst arena to watch BB in, in the whole USA!
IT SUCKS!

For the next game vs KS St. the scoreboards now used the corners of the scoreboard had lineups/stats/etc, and the print size under the TV screen was larger size! As was the corner of the arena scoreboards!

I don't know if my e-mail lit a fire under their butts but I'm thrilled with the changes, it's not perfect but it's a heck of a lot better now then it was! Plus the music in game pauses has been eliminated!

Reaction Score
I have a friend, Diane, who is one of the bosses at the XL, and I went to complain to her about the scoreboards at 1/2 time, and she smiled and said I know the scoreboards stink! She heard from 100's of fans all on scoreboards, stats and names way too small!
They should get rid of the TV screen and fill the board with lineups, stats, etc. I think most fans feel as I do!
The scoreboards in the corners were even worse!
+ most UCONN fans are an older crowd that can barely SEE the scoreboard let alone read the minny print!
Can you imagine the $1,000's of dollars they paid for that crap?
Older crowd? What older crowd?

Reaction Score
Back on Nov. 4th after the first exhibition game, I sent the following e-mail to the management of the XL Center:

Hi! I'm a big UCONN WBB fan and season ticket holder at the XL Center & Gampel! I've discussed with many fans at the XL Center about the new scoreboards and the excessive music at every pause!
The scoreboards SUCK BIG-TIME! Fans don't want TV screens if they want TV they'd stay home! You can't see the names, #'s, stats, of players because they're so small and they don't give all 5 players on the court for either team, they rotate 4 players not 5!
For example #3, #4, #11, & #30 were up rotating for UCONN not the 5th player!
The small scoreboards at diagonal angles are so small you can't make anything out!
The music played at every stoppage of play for 5 or 6 seconds is annoying!
Many fans are pissed about the above! Fans want Names, #'s and lots of Stats!
Get rid of both the lousy scoreboards and the worthless music!
The XL Center is the worst arena to watch BB in, in the whole USA!
IT SUCKS!

For the next game vs KS St. the scoreboards now used the corners of the scoreboard had lineups/stats/etc, and the print size under the TV screen was larger size! As was the corner of the arena scoreboards!

I don't know if my e-mail lit a fire under their butts but I'm thrilled with the changes, it's not perfect but it's a heck of a lot better now then it was! Plus the music in game pauses has been eliminated!
There was plenty of music during the game pauses last night. It was most apparent, to me anyway, when the ball was being inbounded which i thought was kind of silly because it only affords 5, 10 seconds at most of a song to play before the game resumes.

Reaction Score
Older crowd? What older crowd?

Bonpland- - -traditionally the UCONN WBB deals with an older crowd than the MBB with a student body/younger crowd.
Jim Calhoun used to complain about the old blue haired ladies leaving Gampel P.

Reaction Score
Nope! The Mohegan Sun is the answer. Great arena, great scoreboard and all the other niceties that have ben discussed here.

vtcwbuff- - - I agree with you 100%! UCONN should have built a Mohegan Sun Style arena! The problem is the Sun came along 20 years later to show UCONN what was possible for their $!

Reaction Score
Bonpland- - -traditionally the UCONN WBB deals with an older crowd than the MBB with a student body/younger crowd.
Jim Calhoun used to complain about the old blue haired ladies leaving Gampel P.
My wife has warned me to stay away from attempting humor.

Two years ago I sat to watch a Uconn WBB game (it was at the XL Center) with an uninitiated friend and five minutes in he turned to me and asked.

"Do you have to be a member of AARP to attend these games"

We laughed and I assured him that a few students do sneak in to watch the games in Hartford, and that you don't have to be of a certain age to be dedicated to our women's team, it just looks that way.

Reaction Score
The only thing Mohegan has over the XL is free parking.
Are you serious? Many large clean bathrooms, almost never a wait, plenty of indoor restaurants, no hiking around cold, slushy streets (in a typical winter...but of course cold and snow will come), seats around the court since it isn't a hockey arena, better lighting, valet parking, better score boards with stats, etc, etc, etc

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There was plenty of music during the game pauses last night. It was most apparent, to me anyway, when the ball was being inbounded which i thought was kind of silly because it only affords 5, 10 seconds at most of a song to play before the game resumes.
Unfortunately, the NCAA thought this would improve the fan experience.

While the constant music / noise of a WNBA game can be irritating, I prefer it to the little driblets of music at out-of-bounds that the NCAA permits. Of course, I also preferred the time out music at college games to be provided by the band, not some hybrid mix that most arenas now favor, including Arizona and, I am told, Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Its still the XL center..........They still miss the whole fan experience........Free parking with a game ticket. Free beverage of your choice upon entrance......Free seat upgrades when available 45 minutes before tip........Post game fan photo opportunity with players........Transportation to parking lots via trolly cars........Something for the older fans to keep them safe and injury free...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom