XL Center Revitalized? Logical But Realistic? | The Boneyard

XL Center Revitalized? Logical But Realistic?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn return to Big East may boost profile of XL Center and attract private investment for major renovations to keep arena viable

"Since word of UConn’s return to the Big East started spreading a little over a week ago, sales of season tickets surged and university donor enthusiasm spiked, boosted by the prospect of a return to past glory — and old rivalries.

A reinvigorated fan base for UConn men’s and women’s basketball also could focus more attention on downtown Hartford’s XL Center — and the long-delayed renovations supporters say it needs to remain viable in the years ahead.

“There was an apathy to what was happening with the teams over the last few years, and that had a consequence for the building,” said Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, which oversees the arena. “And that was at all levels.”

Got some spare change to take a leap of faith? At least a year away from a Big East Season. A year seeing what that means in ticket sales and concession revenue. Then you see.

Reaction Score
UConn return to Big East may boost profile of XL Center and attract private investment for major renovations to keep arena viable

"Since word of UConn’s return to the Big East started spreading a little over a week ago, sales of season tickets surged and university donor enthusiasm spiked, boosted by the prospect of a return to past glory — and old rivalries.

A reinvigorated fan base for UConn men’s and women’s basketball also could focus more attention on downtown Hartford’s XL Center — and the long-delayed renovations supporters say it needs to remain viable in the years ahead.

“There was an apathy to what was happening with the teams over the last few years, and that had a consequence for the building,” said Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, which oversees the arena. “And that was at all levels.”

Got some spare change to take a leap of faith? At least a year away from a Big East Season. A year seeing what that means in ticket sales and concession revenue. Then you see.
You may be right. I am of a mind that moving to the BE is good for Uconn and may improve ticket sales a bit. The real reason Uconn Men's fans follow the team is when it wins. I could say the same thing about the Women but since they do WIN often and Big. how will we know? The Big East may only have minor influence on Tickets or donors to the XL Center refurb. We'll see.. I want the BE .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You may be right. I am of a mind that moving to the BE is good for Uconn and may improve ticket sales a bit. The real reason Uconn Men's fans follow the team is when it wins. I could say the same thing about the Women but since they do WIN often and Big. how will we know? The Big East may only have minor influence on Tickets or donors to the XL Center refurb. We'll see.. I want the BE .
Huh? I completely disagree as even if they Men’s team stays irrelevant (not likely) the fact that PC, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John’s, Georgetown, all have prominent alumni OR school locations significantly closer to Hartford (Fairfield County), will allow these fans to see games. I have not cared about men’s games for years, but now will make a few trips to see these teams as I care more about them than Tulsa, Wichita St, Tulane et al. ;)

Reaction Score

It wasn't the AAC that led to the fall of the XL, it was the loss of the Whalers. UConn will play at most 10 games in the XL while NHL teams play 41 home games.

Reaction Score
Huh? I completely disagree as even if they Men’s team stays irrelevant (not likely) the fact that PC, Seton Hall, Villanova, St. John’s, Georgetown, all have prominent alumni OR school locations significantly closer to Hartford (Fairfield County), will allow these fans to see games. I have not cared about men’s games for years, but now will make a few trips to see these teams as I care more about them than Tulsa, Wichita St, Tulane et al. ;)
Huh? HuH? Your posting proved my point--you stay away from Men's games--bet you'd be sitting up front should they have been winning years as the women have. I admit that the teams you mention, at times, have top level game--but certainly NOT always. Better you stay with the women, they will win more often.
Before Jim Calhoun, I was a regular at men's games even in the old field house where Uconn Men probably broke even in wins or losses. Those were some of UConn more College related games--no big business only College sports. Rah, Rah Rah---that my friend is what college sports should be all about. TEAM/SCHOOL
Moot discussion on attendance at the XL center---wait and see. I'd love to see Geno fill that to capacity as had in those earlier days.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It wasn't the AAC that led to the fall of the XL, it was the loss of the Whalers. UConn will play at most 10 games in the XL while NHL teams play 41 home games.

Good point and I agree. Frankly I do not understand how UConn has saddled itself with the XL arrangement. Oh wait, politicians and the cronies thereof. I think it's a shame that UConn doesn't play more at Gampel. Yeah, capacity and parking, etc etc yadda yadda.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good point and I agree. Frankly I do not understand how UConn has saddled itself with the XL arrangement. Oh wait, politicians and the cronies thereof. I think it's a shame that UConn doesn't play more at Gampel. Yeah, capacity and parking, etc etc yadda yadda.
When the XL was a brandy new innovative arena/mall and Huskymania was on the upswing. UConn was playing in a 4,600 seat arena. Playing teams like Georgetown in the 16,000 seat Civic Center made sense. Once Gampel was built that changed things.

Somehow there is now a sense that UConn has an obligation to prop up the XL to the tune of $45,000 per game. That makes the XL look artificially viable and makes our Athletic Dept look worse than it actually is. It makes no sense. I agree with Geno that UConn and CDRA should split the profit from and XL games.

Reaction Score

Personally I much prefer the XL since it's a half hour away and all interstate as opposed to an 1 1/3 hrs, a lot of it on secondary roads in the winter.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Huh? HuH? Your posting proved my point--you stay away from Men's games--bet you'd be sitting up front should they have been winning years as the women have. I admit that the teams you mention, at times, have top level game--but certainly NOT always. Better you stay with the women, they will win more often.
Before Jim Calhoun, I was a regular at men's games even in the old field house where Uconn Men probably broke even in wins or losses. Those were some of UConn more College related games--no big business only College sports. Rah, Rah Rah---that my friend is what college sports should be all about. TEAM/SCHOOL
Moot discussion on attendance at the XL center---wait and see. I'd love to see Geno fill that to capacity as had in those earlier days.
Actually, no, I wasn't staying away from the "men's game" due to the men being terrible. I have never rooted for them men, I severely dislike Calhoun but now that Hurley is coach, and in particularly I would go to the Men's game as I have a lot of friends from St. John's, PC, Villanova, my wife from Seton Hall that with the team back in the Big East and my daughter now at UConn, I would go to see her then any of the teams.
You seem to have some revisionist history as Geno never filled the XL, as the highest attendance the women ever had was 13,345 back in 2004 which, if my memory serves me correctly was when UConn was in the Big East. The last 6 years have had the 5 lowest attendance years of UConn Women's attendance (averaging 8,872). Only the 2018 year at 10,026 saved it from being the lowest 6 years, which again, if my memory serves me correctly was all from AAC years...So no, I was not proving your point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom