XL Center Planning to Reopen in Fall for Sports | The Boneyard

XL Center Planning to Reopen in Fall for Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I think we’re going to see more people attend events than we’re projecting,” Freimuth said. “We’ve got a funny dynamic. We have the Big East and all the excitement of Big East basketball. I’m not sure what it does for us in this current world, but it probably makes it better than wrestling through the AAC.”.

“We know we won’t have concerts, that’s pretty much offline. Those are big paydays for us, generally speaking, but we should have the sports.”

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how this plays out, assuming they play. 50% capacity? 25% capacity? Season Ticket Holders only? If season ticket holder # is higher than allowed capacity, how do they divide that up? Lots of questions down the road...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how this plays out, assuming they play. 50% capacity? 25% capacity? Season Ticket Holders only? If season ticket holder # is higher than allowed capacity, how do they divide that up? Lots of questions down the road...
And how the reduced capacity impacts the lease cost.

Reaction Score
They won't be the first arena to open. So as others go ahead they will be learning. And a lot will depend on what is happening in the wider world. There have been some advances in treatments. They XL is smart to plan but as they say in the military, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Same for basketball, one would think. If crowds aren't allowed, or capacity is restricted, what advantage does XL have over Gampel?

Reaction Score
Given, you know, actual research that indicates that being inside with lots of people is far more dangerous than being outside and some limited evidence that HVAC systems don’t actually clean air of covid, I suspect attendance won’t be an issue for ANY sport. Of course that assumes that grown ups take control. Based on the evidence to date in many places(yeah I’m lookin’ at you, Texas and South Carolina) that ain’t likely. So maybe we will see a full XL. After all, it’s worth a couple of deaths to see UConn take on Creighton in person.

Reaction Score
Do they still have that $50 mill or whatever it was allocated for the renovation? Curious to see how that plays out in the Covid era...

Reaction Score

many questions indeed....Indy 500 limits fans to 50%, Patriots and Giants allow Season ticket holders to skip the season.......

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion it's better to not say anything when you don't know. Contradicting yourself every few days leads to a weary public who will tune out the medical guidance, I think we've seen that in real time.

If the director of the NIH and the nation's leading expert in epidemiology just went dark on media requests, the panic would be incredible. Can't win.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion it's better to not say anything when you don't know. Contradicting yourself every few days leads to a weary public who will tune out the medical guidance, I think we've seen that in real time.
Smart people realize the guidance changes almost daily because they are still learning about this virus - and smart people evaluate the guidance given realizing it could tomorrow if they learn something new. I'd rather be given info they may have to modify or change then none at all.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Graduate of Holy Cross. MD from Cornell. Director on NAID since 1984. Winner of Maxwell Finland Prize, Lasker Prize and Ernst Jung Award, all for outstanding contributions to medical research. One of the world’s most cited scientists in scientific journals. And as a side note he was captain of his high school basketball team.

CtBasketball was former owner of the pizza thread and occasionally cited on the boneyard.

One of those two could well be a clown.

Let the boys play indeed.
At least when I say something I mean it. I don’t double back on my word multiple times - and if I don’t know something I shut my mouth.

My engineering degree and masters degree taught me that at least. And I know more about pizza.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
People still talking about a second wave? Can show some signs of stopping this current “wave” first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom