XL and Uconn Contract | The Boneyard

XL and Uconn Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I would also post under conference realignment. If we are truly stuck in the AAC, there is no need to play more than a couple games in Hartford (as a Hartford season ticket holder, this pains me). In fact, Hartford does not need to rebuild the XL without either an NHL/P5 primary tenant. The arena is to big for AHL/G5 tenants
You nailed it. I 100% agree.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Uconn should not sign a deal longer than 2 years with XL, especially with the future of the building unknown. Year to year leases should be more than fine considering Uconn has all the bargaining power here

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
So XL wants to go from 25 games to 30 games (knowing that the hockey games are going to almost completely end once the on-campus arena is built)? Lulz. What a joke. UConn better not agree to those terms.

UConn basketball needs to be playing less games at the XL, not more, especially if they are in the AAC for the foreseeable future.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
comming from West Haven it takes 45 min to xl center. 75 min to storrs. 90 miles roundtrip vs 140 miles roundtrip. I have season tix for both venues. More in the xl would ake me happier.
What about some games in Bridgeport for the Fairfield County and New Haven County fans?

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Games played at Gampel have a college atmosphere though. XL is too sterile.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yesterday sure sounded neutral to me. Larry Brown making UConn dress in the visitors locker room was about the only thing "neutral" from the whole weekend.

Drew

Reaction Score
Here's my stance on this whole thing:

It's one thing to play games in a self sustaining arena that is in Hartford (especially during recess from the academic calendar) that doesn't rely on UConn Athletics as it's main source of existence. Utilizing this arena for events like the AAC tournament, maybe create a New England style early season tournament that rotates sites (UConn/Providence/BC/BU/URI/Yale can all alternate hosts), and a few games away from campus for bigger opponents per year is really actually a good idea for exposure and ease of travel for the rest of the state.

I do not believe however in any way shape or form that the University of Connecticut should let the city of Hartford bend it over and have it's way with us during any contract negotiations, especially when UConn is not responsible for the city of Hartford's economic/safety issues. UConn should not be helping to finance a new arena 25 miles from its own campus, the University has enough problems to deal with (recent budget cuts, less attractive home schedule, etc). If Hartford can find a way to make their downtown arena a viable spot to continue to host UConn games without a massive financial sum from the University, then yes, continue to play some games there. If not then bring the games back to Gampel where they belong in the first place and end this whole charade.

Which brings me to my last point. A 5 year lease is not only incredibly stupid from the University's part, it is completely ridiculous to ask from the city of Hartford's spot. If UConn signs the lease for 5 years it is essentially agreeing to take on the new arena project with Hartford and will outsource even more basketball games than it currently does with the 50/50 split (since the hockey games will be returning to a shiny new arena in Storrs). A year by year lease is the smart approach for UConn, even if the city of Hartford doesn't want to have to deal with being evaluated as a potential host for UConn athletics year after year. The goal of the University isn't to please the casual fan who doesn't want to drive the extra 30 minutes, it is to provide for the current student-athletes and the students who foot the bill for the sports programs, most of which do not bring in enough income to be self sustaining.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you don't have it right on who financially supports the programs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
@Drew - I'm not a big XL proponent either, but the "goal" of the university isn't to please student athletes. Not even a little bit. The goal is to please alumni/donors who give money to the school on an annual basis. And it is that segment that doesn't like driving to Storrs for whatever reason. Until that changes, UConn will (and should) continue to do whatever it has to to please its alumni/donors.

Drew

Reaction Score
I think you don't have it right on who financially supports the programs.

Student fees under the General University Fee support "Student Health Services, Athletics & Recreational Services, One Card Office, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, Student Activities and Student Union, and the Off Campus Student Services Office" as stated on the UConn Bursar's Office website.

While programs do receive state money a large portion of them are subsidized through student fees.

Drew

Reaction Score
@Drew - I'm not a big XL proponent either, but the "goal" of the university isn't to please student athletes. Not even a little bit. The goal is to please alumni/donors who give money to the school on an annual basis. And it is that segment that doesn't like driving to Storrs for whatever reason. Until that changes, UConn will (and should) continue to do whatever it has to to please its alumni/donors.

I'm not taking this thread off topic, but you missed the entire point of my post. The University of Connecticut is not responsible for helping Hartford and the arena located there alive. That was why I said a yearly lease with a yearly review period after the athletics seasons have ended is what makes the most sense for UConn from a negotiation standpoint.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm not taking this thread off topic, but you missed the entire point of my post. The University of Connecticut is not responsible for helping Hartford and the arena located there alive. That was why I said a yearly lease with a yearly review period after the athletics seasons have ended is what makes the most sense for UConn from a negotiation standpoint.

Sorry Drew, just focused on your last sentence.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Student fees under the General University Fee support "Student Health Services, Athletics & Recreational Services, One Card Office, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, Student Activities and Student Union, and the Off Campus Student Services Office" as stated on the UConn Bursar's Office website.

While programs do receive state money a large portion of them are subsidized through student fees.

Yes, student fees contribute. But just because someone contributes to something doesn't mean they finance it, themselves. You just named like ten programs student fees help subsidize. How much do you think it costs to run those offices/departments? Surely more than the $200 student fees UConn charges each kid...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes I know. That's what a few hundred dollars a year for you? What percentage of that do you think ends up with men's basketball?

Drew

Reaction Score
Yes I know. That's what a few hundred dollars a year for you? What percentage of that do you think ends up with men's basketball?

Full time students (12+ credits) pay $957 in "General Fees" alone which go to athletics, among other things, per SEMESTER. 18,032 total undergraduate enrollment, total general fees if you multiply it out ends up being a little over $34 million dollars. Not sure what percentage of that goes to athletics but I pay almost $2k a year just in "general" fees.

http://bursar.uconn.edu/2014-2015-undergraduate-tuition-and-fees/

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to wonder if the pro-Gampel voices here actually go to games in Gampel. If so, they would realize how the AAC is killing Gampel attendance. The chairbacks are sold, but the ticketholders just don't go to games against these teams. Those 200's level chairbacks especially have gotten emptier and emptier as the season went on. Hartford is where the fans actually go to the games. UConn needs Hartford to keep connected with the fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom