Xavier thoughts | The Boneyard

Xavier thoughts

Reaction Score
After another awful start maybe the best we've played. RJ player of the game without a doubt. Couple typical sloppy plays from him but he hit all the big shots and made some really good passes that were botched. After a poor first half Tyrese was a huge difference maker in the second half, he made some of the biggest baskets of the game with tough drives, his and 1 after Xavier tied it was probably the biggest play of the game...

We've been calling it all season to play fast and we finally did, we looked to push and score early instead of the slow down hand off offense which has bogged us down so much lately...

We were longer and more athletic than them as we will be against pretty much anyone out there. Akok looked like he was on some sort of minutes restriction but he was a huge difference maker when he was in there, he totally changes us for the future and the right now. Jackson shot too many threes but he was barely missing them, I don't think he's a terrible shooter and he must be making them in practice for Hurley to green light him like that. It won't show up in the stats but he's always a difference maker. Polley missed some open ones but also hit a huge one and was much more aggressive. Not a good day for Sanogo but we know what he can do, he needs to be on the court with Akok. Whaley needs to play center when he's in there, he played well down the stretch. Intensity was there as soon Hurley went with our most athletic lineup and we never really looked back from there. Xavier came all the way back and we didn't fold like we've done in the past, quick 6-0 run. End of game situations are still a huge problem and need to be fixed but all and all a great win we should build on

We now have a true 9 man rotation when Bouknight comes back, hopefully against Providence next game.

Reaction Score
"Akok looked like he was on some sort of minutes restriction but he was a huge difference maker when he was in there"

This 100% .... Akok looks much more mobile than I thought he would be. Hope he gets unleashed more as season nears the end. His spark was huge to end one of those droughts that with this team could have gone much longer.

Reaction Score
After another awful start maybe the best we've played. RJ player of the game without a doubt. Couple typical sloppy plays from him but he hit all the big shots and made some really good passes that were botched. After a poor first half Tyrese was a huge difference maker in the second half, he made some of the biggest baskets of the game with tough drives, his and 1 after Xavier tied it was probably the biggest play of the game...

We've been calling it all season to play fast and we finally did, we looked to push and score early instead of the slow down hand off offense which has bogged us down so much lately...

We were longer and more athletic than them as we will be against pretty much anyone out there. Akok looked like he was on some sort of minutes restriction but he was a huge difference maker when he was in there, he totally changes us for the future and the right now. Jackson shot too many threes but he was barely missing them, I don't think he's a terrible shooter and he must be making them in practice for Hurley to green light him like that. It won't show up in the stats but he's always a difference maker. Polley missed some open ones but also hit a huge one and was much more aggressive. Not a good day for Sanogo but we know what he can do, he needs to be on the court with Akok. Whaley needs to play center when he's in there, he played well down the stretch. Intensity was there as soon Hurley went with our most athletic lineup and we never really looked back from there. Xavier came all the way back and we didn't fold like we've done in the past, quick 6-0 run. End of game situations are still a huge problem and need to be fixed but all and all a great win we should build on

We now have a true 9 man rotation when Bouknight comes back, hopefully against Providence next game.
We outscored them by 23 in the middle ~33 minutes of the game. Pretty dominant outside of the open and closing stretches.

Hitting shots helped. Playing faster and with more energy helped.

Reaction Score

" but he was barely missing them". I don't know SJ, there were some real clunkers. One hit the side of the backboard. I'll leave it in Hurley's hands but it feels like right now we don't want Jackson shooting 6 3's/game.

The end of game stuff is worrisome. This isn't the first time it's happened and coach needs to come up with some new plays to get the ball in to the right people. They really lacked composure out there.

Critical quad 1 win though. If we can add Bouk to this mix we're a dangerous team.

Reaction Score
" but he was barely missing them". I don't know SJ, there were some real clunkers. One hit the side of the backboard. I'll leave it in Hurley's hands but it feels like right now we don't want Jackson shooting 6 3's/game.

The end of game stuff is worrisome. This isn't the first time it's happened and coach needs to come up with some new plays to get the ball in to the right people. They really lacked composure out there.

Critical quad 1 win though. If we can add Bouk to this mix we're a dangerous team.
He hit the backboard on one and took an NBA three early in the game off the dribble which I didn't like. I liked the other 4 threes, they were open shots and he was right on line with them. He needs to look to drive though.

Reaction Score
We outscored them by 23 in the middle ~33 minutes of the game. Pretty dominant outside of the open and closing stretches.

Hitting shots helped. Playing faster and with more energy helped.
Xavier started 3/4 from 3 then went 1/8 to end the half. We went +15 in that second stretch. They went 3/9 for most of the 2nd half and we pushed the lead to 12. Then they made 3/4 in the last 2 minutes and cut the lead to 4 at the end.

So 6/8 during those 2 stretches and 4/17 in the other times. (Plus 2 missed prayers at the end).

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to learn to use his athleticism more and not just hang out on the perimeter and shoot threes. 6 of his 7 shots today were threes and that's too high a percentage. That's a typical freshman trait and I'm sure he will get more confident using his athleticism to score.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to learn to use his athleticism more and not just hang out on the perimeter and shoot threes. 6 of his 7 shots today were threes and that's too high a percentage. That's a typical freshman trait and I'm sure he will get more confident using his athleticism to score.
Agreed. The screens set for him just are pretty blah, and the paint is too congested with Whaley and Sanogo in at the same time. I think we would all want Jackson getting downhill and either finishing or finding the open man because thats what he thrives at offensively. Jackson and Akok would fit very nicely together on the court.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The screens set for him just are pretty blah, and the paint is too congested with Whaley and Sanogo in at the same time. I think we would all want Jackson getting downhill and either finishing or finding the open man because thats what he thrives at offensively. Jackson and Akok would fit very nicely together on the court.
exactly. That's why playing more uptempo suits his strengths as well as others on the team. Jackson's shooting will be continual work in progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom