Xavier Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting Diarra's defensive impact vs Nova, but I have expected him to be our best option to defend Boum, with Alleyne trading off. Newton has length, but Diarra and Alleyne have the quickness and intensity. I think Xavier would be most disrupted by giving them fits initiating offensive flow. Boum will get his points, but Posh/Cubelo ball pressure makes entry passes and the timing of plays difficult. I need to rewatch Nova/Gtown, but it seems to me we are letting Clingan drift a bit too far from the rim and as a result he is getting poor position on offensive boards. In my mind the defense has to collapse if he is close to the rim, and the Joey/AJax floater range is open for the floater/lob. I agree with the Sean Miller thoughts. In the St Johns game he gave clear instructions to his players and imparted facts to his team regarding time outs, not calling a time out if you are going to be tied up, because they had the arrow, etc. Anderson talked in 'motherhoods', be tougher, rebound better, with less action directives on how to accomplish his requests. With Xavier I'm crossing my fingers, (that strategy worked vs Bama).

Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting Diarra's defensive impact vs Nova, but I have expected him to be our best option to defend Boum, with Alleyne trading off. Newton has length, but Diarra and Alleyne have the quickness and intensity. I think Xavier would be most disrupted by giving them fits initiating offensive flow. Boum will get his points, but Posh/Cubelo ball pressure makes entry passes and the timing of plays difficult. I need to rewatch Nova/Gtown, but it seems to me we are letting Clingan drift a bit too far from the rim and as a result he is getting poor position on offensive boards. In my mind the defense has to collapse if he is close to the rim, and the Joey/AJax floater range is open for the floater/lob. I agree with the Sean Miller thoughts. In the St Johns game he gave clear instructions to his players and imparted facts to his team regarding time outs, not calling a time out if you are going to be tied up, because they had the arrow, etc. Anderson talked in 'motherhoods', be tougher, rebound better, with less action directives on how to accomplish his requests. With Xavier I'm crossing my fingers, (that strategy worked vs Bama).
Seems like Diarra is being dusted off and is going to be used a lot more in the future the way he can impact a game, and we can all see why.

Reaction Score
Feels like Karaban is going to have a lot of open looks away from the basket given who might be defending him.

Miller is like Pitino (both good and bad) and likely will play some special defenses this game (box and one on Hawkins, early half court trap against Diarra, etc)

Reaction Score
Miller may be a total slimeball but he can coach an offense. It feels like he has really maximized this team from that standpoint. Especially impressed with what he’s done with Freemantle, who should never have been shooting threes at the volumes he was. Miller has gotten him to reign it in and be a much more efficient player. Definitely going to be a big test.

Reaction Score
Maybe Anderson was trying not to reveal too much to the cameras, I don't know. I was disappointed in him, though, with his vague cliche-like communication. Sean Miller looked a lot better.

Where is the 40 minutes of hell that Anderson usually employs? Do some of the players like AJ Storr and David Jones not like it? That full court press style suits Posh Alexander and Andre Curbelo perfectly and in fact might help Posh break out of his slump. I am not sure Posh and Curbelo can play together.

Reaction Score
Line prediction? Xavier +6.5 / 7? Someone’s earlier point about Xavier running out of gas is a good one. Extra day of rest and prep for UCONN. Short rest, short bench and a Noon tip could have Xavier a little flat. While I think Xavier is a quality team, we saw what solid pressure does to them in the late stages of the St John’s game. If the Johnnies could do anything other than play street ball, they win that game. Not impressed with Xavier D. Huskies by 9.

Reaction Score
Miller ooks very different. He gained a lot of weight?

Reaction Score
Xavier: 11-3
Kenpom Rating: 28 out of 363

Best wins:

• 84-74 v #21 West Virginia
    • Souley Boum: 23 points, 7 assists, 5-8 FGs, 11-14 FTs
    • Jack Nunge: 17 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks, 7-9 FGs
  • 90-83 v #36 Florida (neutral location)
    • Solely Boum: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 7-8 FTs
    • Colby Jones: 22 points, 4-5 3P, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals
  • 83-79 @ #57 St. John’s (last night’s game)
    • Jack Nunge: 23 points, 10-14 FGs, 2-2 from 3, 12 rebounds, 3 assists
    • Souley Boum: 17 points, 4-11 FGs, 8-8 FTs, 6 rebounds and assists, 2 steals

Losses (no “bad” losses):
  • 79-81 v #19 Indiana
    • Trayce Jackson-Davis: 30 points
    • Xavier Johnson: 23 points
  • 64-71 v #16 Duke (neutral)
    • Xavier 37.1 2p%
    • Jeremy Roach: 21 points, 9-15 from field
  • 84-88 v #10 Gonzaga
    • Gonzaga 13-24 from three
Currently on a seven game winning streak with wins over West Virginia, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Seton Hall and St. John’s

OFFENSE: 8th in efficiency

• 3rd in A/FGM (68.6%)
  • 3rd in 3p% (40.8%)
    • But only 317th in 3PA/FGA (30.9%)
  • 29th in tempo (15.8 seconds/possession)
  • 35th in non-steal TO rate (7.4%)
    • But 326th! in steal rate (11.6)
      • FWIW: Fremantle (2.8 TOs) and Boum (2.2 TOs) lead team
  • 38th in 2p% (55.0%)
  • 104th in both
    • offensive rebounding % (31.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (34.0%)

DEFENSE: 78th in efficiency
  • 33rd in 3PA/FGA (31.4%)
    • But allow 37.4 3p% (318th)
  • 38th fastest defensive tempo (16.5 seconds/possession)
  • 60th in opponents’ offensive rebounding prevention (25.2%)
  • 89th in opponents’ 2p% (47.0%)
  • ~ median in
    • Turnover rate (18.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (30.3%)
  • Bottom third percentile in A/FGM (53.8%)

With Sean Miller back at the helm, Xavier returns his signature pack-line defense, which was extra compressed in the St. John’s game considering their lack of shooters, especially in the backcourt. Miller’s defense is designed to decrease dribble penetration and always keeps the post-defender well in front of the low post guy, so in theory, more perimeter options should be available and, in general, we might see a similar offensive attack from what we saw UConn settle with against Villanova.

Like other pack-line defenses out there (Virginia, Liberty and Charlotte come to mind), there will not be a lot of pressure on the ball and ball movement on the perimeter should be plentiful.

Based on this, I’d expect another slow game from Newton and the bigs, with more contributions from better shooters (Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, Alleyne). Also, the vision and passing creativity of Jackson and Karaban will be huge to help navigate the pack and find interior looks.

With just three double-digit scoring games in his short UConn tenure, I expect Alleyne to have his best game of the season, finally showcasing the steady, efficient shooting he was so well known for at Virginia Tech.

View attachment 82465

VJCDWVBot8NFvr-HrlWKp8GatnvfEr748M4UlaBeMNmL7LUZsKEoOqTYwBz6JzbpF--Vy3rg2wI_ttrbPosQOh8AQAMiPKoYJm7TPSWlQuTIsnnAgY32XNzt5bVliSAy33jXzT_skcYCNXf_pLsGRH437RrfaRFHQGktLB_X68g_OsODXYYREwxEESmjfQ

For the last four games against non-cupcakes, Xavier has essentially played a seven-man rotation with heavy reliance on the starters (26.9% bench minutes, 279th in the nation).

When Hunter subs in for Nunge, Xavier essentially plays with two non-shooting bigs, considering Freemantle is shooting threes at a career low rate (0.6 3PA this season vs. 1.5 3PA last season and 3.7 the year before). Speaking of Freemantle, he’s looked the most strong, in shape and most healthy in his career, making him a more viable down-low defender in addition to his offensive game.

Claude reminds me a lot of a young Paul Scruggs: a big, strong combo guard who is not afraid to attack the rim, but susceptible to poor shot selection.

Speaking of Scruggs, some have said (I share this opinion as well) that his omnipresence on Xavier’s offense was an overall detriment to the team, and so far, there’s a clear upside on offense with the addition of Souley Boum. Boum is a long, ambidextrous point guard who can score anywhere and uses his length and quickness to get easy buckets down low.

Colby Jones has continued his maturation as one of the best players in the Big East. A versatile wing who can do a bit of everything, Jones does much of his work inside and has an awareness to kick out for open shots when needed. When he drives, watch for Kunkel and Nunge to move to the perimeter and then Freemantle ready for the quick dish underneath and/or the offensive rebound.

UConn has yet to play this season against a center like Nunge, whose poise, versatility and length hasn’t been matched with any of the other talented bigs they’ve seen so far.

Overall, Xavier is arguably UConn’s toughest matchup this season. While UConn will obviously be favored, I’d bet it will be their lowest spread of the season so far, and for good reason.

A version of the above report is available on my blog, feel free to share it via email, link, Twitter, etc.

Man you work is outstanding

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think our best lineup tomorrow will be our Hass, Hawk, AJ, AK, DC lineup.

Hass to lock Boum, AJ to lock Jones, DC has the size and athleticism to bother Nunge. Fremantle is the guy I’m worried about, he has the game to bully Karaban and if he gets AK in foul trouble the gameplan falls apart in a hurry having to go to Alleyne without Slam on the bench.

Reaction Score
Three weeks later, Xavier's only loss has been DePaul (go figure), but a lot of the same is driving their success:
  • Excellent ball movement (68.2% A/FGM ratio is 2nd best in the nation)
  • Excellent shooting team (56.0 EFG% is 9th in the nation)
  • Super comfortable both ways in transition (top-30 in both offensive and defensive tempo)
  • Not a lot of playable depth (rotations of just seven players), but rotations ready for March
With Freemantle and Nunge arguably the best frontcourt in the conference, Clingan NEEDS more PT than last matchup (just 7 minutes) and Wednesday is an excellent opportunity to play two big lineups.

Reaction Score
Let's get Sanogo / Clingan, Samson / Sanogo, Samson / Clingan out there
If nothing else, the presence of Samson gives us 5 fouls we kind of don’t care about in defending Freemantle and Nunge

Reaction Score
Good info as always.

Bold prediction on Alleyne. The kid looks like he couldn't hit water from a boat. I know he shot well from the arc last year but his shot is awkward and he has a bad habit of missing the rim -not in a good way. On the inside his shot is as likely to be blocked as reach the basket. If you're right about him having a good shooting game on Wednesday, you can change your handle to Nostradamus.

Reaction Score
Xavier has 4 really good scorers on the floor with a very good defender in Kunkel who just shut down Hawkins last game. All three guards are very efficient three point shooters. Jones 40 percent, Kunkel 39.5, and Boum 43. Very different from SH and SJ who can drive by but are not good shooters. X can do both. Freemantle does all his damage around the rim as Miller has forced him to be a low post player as opposed to a stretch 4 he used to be and it has worked. He takes on average just under 1 three a game which he normally hits. Sanogo and DC can't leave Nunge to shoot either as he takes 3 a game at a 40% clip.

X is by far the best team in the BE but they are thin. Hunter off the bench killed us last game with 15 points but beyond that they have no one else really. They do not foul much either. Last game Freemantle played 36 minutes and zero fouls, Boum played 38 minutes and 1 foul and Jones played 35 minutes and 1 foul. I know it was a home game so hopefully we can get someone in foul trouble this time.

Reaction Score
No. 13 Xavier at No. 19 UConn (Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. on FS1) -- Back on New Year's Eve, then-No. 22 Xavier handed then-No. 2 UConn its first loss of the season. Since then, the Musketeers are 4-1 with a lone, confounding loss to DePaul while the Huskies are just 2-4.

In the first meeting, Xavier destroyed UConn's defense with 77 half-court points. For reference, only one other team has scored even 65 half-court points against the Huskies this season. The catalyst was the pick-and-roll; UConn allowed a season-high 12 points to rollers.

This is exactly what Xavier wants to do -- and is built to do. Of the 111 D-I teams that have run at least 75 pick-and-roll possessions through the roller, Xavier ranks second in points per possession and effective field goal percentage, only behind Creighton. Jack Nunge (first three clips) and Zach Freemantle (last clip) are matchup nightmares who can rim run or pop out to the 3-point line, and with the Musketeers' excellent floor spacing -- five players are shooting over 39% from deep -- they have room to roam.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
With Freemantle and Nunge arguably the best frontcourt in the conference, Clingan NEEDS more PT than last matchup (just 7 minutes) and Wednesday is an excellent opportunity to play two big lineups.
Can Sanogo defend Fremantle 20 ft out? If we gave both him and Clingan on the floor he'll have to.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can Sanogo defend Fremantle 20 ft out? If we gave both him and Clingan on the floor he'll have to.
No. And if Freemantle put the ball down he’d be burned.

If he gets hot, might want to throw Samson on him for some different looks/quick fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom