Xavier Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Xavier: 11-3
Kenpom Rating: 28 out of 363

Best wins:

• 84-74 v #21 West Virginia
    • Souley Boum: 23 points, 7 assists, 5-8 FGs, 11-14 FTs
    • Jack Nunge: 17 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks, 7-9 FGs
  • 90-83 v #36 Florida (neutral location)
    • Solely Boum: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 7-8 FTs
    • Colby Jones: 22 points, 4-5 3P, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals
  • 83-79 @ #57 St. John’s (last night’s game)
    • Jack Nunge: 23 points, 10-14 FGs, 2-2 from 3, 12 rebounds, 3 assists
    • Souley Boum: 17 points, 4-11 FGs, 8-8 FTs, 6 rebounds and assists, 2 steals

Losses (no “bad” losses):
  • 79-81 v #19 Indiana
    • Trayce Jackson-Davis: 30 points
    • Xavier Johnson: 23 points
  • 64-71 v #16 Duke (neutral)
    • Xavier 37.1 2p%
    • Jeremy Roach: 21 points, 9-15 from field
  • 84-88 v #10 Gonzaga
    • Gonzaga 13-24 from three
Currently on a seven game winning streak with wins over West Virginia, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Seton Hall and St. John’s

OFFENSE: 8th in efficiency

• 3rd in A/FGM (68.6%)
  • 3rd in 3p% (40.8%)
    • But only 317th in 3PA/FGA (30.9%)
  • 29th in tempo (15.8 seconds/possession)
  • 35th in non-steal TO rate (7.4%)
    • But 326th! in steal rate (11.6)
      • FWIW: Fremantle (2.8 TOs) and Boum (2.2 TOs) lead team
  • 38th in 2p% (55.0%)
  • 104th in both
    • offensive rebounding % (31.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (34.0%)

DEFENSE: 78th in efficiency
  • 33rd in 3PA/FGA (31.4%)
    • But allow 37.4 3p% (318th)
  • 38th fastest defensive tempo (16.5 seconds/possession)
  • 60th in opponents’ offensive rebounding prevention (25.2%)
  • 89th in opponents’ 2p% (47.0%)
  • ~ median in
    • Turnover rate (18.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (30.3%)
  • Bottom third percentile in A/FGM (53.8%)

With Sean Miller back at the helm, Xavier returns his signature pack-line defense, which was extra compressed in the St. John’s game considering their lack of shooters, especially in the backcourt. Miller’s defense is designed to decrease dribble penetration and always keeps the post-defender well in front of the low post guy, so in theory, more perimeter options should be available and, in general, we might see a similar offensive attack from what we saw UConn settle with against Villanova.

Like other pack-line defenses out there (Virginia, Liberty and Charlotte come to mind), there will not be a lot of pressure on the ball and ball movement on the perimeter should be plentiful.

Based on this, I’d expect another slow game from Newton and the bigs, with more contributions from better shooters (Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, Alleyne). Also, the vision and passing creativity of Jackson and Karaban will be huge to help navigate the pack and find interior looks.

With just three double-digit scoring games in his short UConn tenure, I expect Alleyne to have his best game of the season, finally showcasing the steady, efficient shooting he was so well known for at Virginia Tech.

1672337222817.png

VJCDWVBot8NFvr-HrlWKp8GatnvfEr748M4UlaBeMNmL7LUZsKEoOqTYwBz6JzbpF--Vy3rg2wI_ttrbPosQOh8AQAMiPKoYJm7TPSWlQuTIsnnAgY32XNzt5bVliSAy33jXzT_skcYCNXf_pLsGRH437RrfaRFHQGktLB_X68g_OsODXYYREwxEESmjfQ

For the last four games against non-cupcakes, Xavier has essentially played a seven-man rotation with heavy reliance on the starters (26.9% bench minutes, 279th in the nation).

When Hunter subs in for Nunge, Xavier essentially plays with two non-shooting bigs, considering Freemantle is shooting threes at a career low rate (0.6 3PA this season vs. 1.5 3PA last season and 3.7 the year before). Speaking of Freemantle, he’s looked the most strong, in shape and most healthy in his career, making him a more viable down-low defender in addition to his offensive game.

Claude reminds me a lot of a young Paul Scruggs: a big, strong combo guard who is not afraid to attack the rim, but susceptible to poor shot selection.

Speaking of Scruggs, some have said (I share this opinion as well) that his omnipresence on Xavier’s offense was an overall detriment to the team, and so far, there’s a clear upside on offense with the addition of Souley Boum. Boum is a long, ambidextrous point guard who can score anywhere and uses his length and quickness to get easy buckets down low.

Colby Jones has continued his maturation as one of the best players in the Big East. A versatile wing who can do a bit of everything, Jones does much of his work inside and has an awareness to kick out for open shots when needed. When he drives, watch for Kunkel and Nunge to move to the perimeter and then Freemantle ready for the quick dish underneath and/or the offensive rebound.

UConn has yet to play this season against a center like Nunge, whose poise, versatility and length hasn’t been matched with any of the other talented bigs they’ve seen so far.

Overall, Xavier is arguably UConn’s toughest matchup this season. While UConn will obviously be favored, I’d bet it will be their lowest spread of the season so far, and for good reason.

A version of the above report is available on my blog, feel free to share it via email, link, Twitter, etc.

Reaction Score
Looks like we want to get some starters into foul trouble early so that they have to go to their thin bench.. Minutes per game heavily oriented towards their talented starting five. BE away games are always a challenge..

Would be cool to go undefeated in 2022..

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Tough matchup...they have a lot of age and experience. We need to cut out some of the mental mistakes of late and make our open shots. We are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Great stuff as always.

I also think this might be the best coach we'll face this season (there's an argument for Matta, Oats, or McDermott, but I think Miller is the best of that bunch). They have some good veteran guys, and we lost there last season. And the Cintas Center will be bumping.

But in the end I think we are too much on offense for them to handle. Hawkins, Newton and California need to eat this game.

Reaction Score
Xavier: 11-3
Kenpom Rating: 28 out of 363

Best wins:

• 84-74 v #21 West Virginia
    • Souley Boum: 23 points, 7 assists, 5-8 FGs, 11-14 FTs
    • Jack Nunge: 17 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks, 7-9 FGs
  • 90-83 v #36 Florida (neutral location)
    • Solely Boum: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 7-8 FTs
    • Colby Jones: 22 points, 4-5 3P, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals
  • 83-79 @ #57 St. John’s (last night’s game)
    • Jack Nunge: 23 points, 10-14 FGs, 2-2 from 3, 12 rebounds, 3 assists
    • Souley Boum: 17 points, 4-11 FGs, 8-8 FTs, 6 rebounds and assists, 2 steals

Losses (no “bad” losses):
  • 79-81 v #19 Indiana
    • Trayce Jackson-Davis: 30 points
    • Xavier Johnson: 23 points
  • 64-71 v #16 Duke (neutral)
    • Xavier 37.1 2p%
    • Jeremy Roach: 21 points, 9-15 from field
  • 84-88 v #10 Gonzaga
    • Gonzaga 13-24 from three
Currently on a seven game winning streak with wins over West Virginia, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Seton Hall and St. John’s

OFFENSE: 8th in efficiency

• 3rd in A/FGM (68.6%)
  • 3rd in 3p% (40.8%)
    • But only 317th in 3PA/FGA (30.9%)
  • 29th in tempo (15.8 seconds/possession)
  • 35th in non-steal TO rate (7.4%)
    • But 326th! in steal rate (11.6)
      • FWIW: Fremantle (2.8 TOs) and Boum (2.2 TOs) lead team
  • 38th in 2p% (55.0%)
  • 104th in both
    • offensive rebounding % (31.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (34.0%)

DEFENSE: 78th in efficiency
  • 33rd in 3PA/FGA (31.4%)
    • But allow 37.4 3p% (318th)
  • 38th fastest defensive tempo (16.5 seconds/possession)
  • 60th in opponents’ offensive rebounding prevention (25.2%)
  • 89th in opponents’ 2p% (47.0%)
  • ~ median in
    • Turnover rate (18.4%)
    • FTA/FGA (30.3%)
  • Bottom third percentile in A/FGM (53.8%)

With Sean Miller back at the helm, Xavier returns his signature pack-line defense, which was extra compressed in the St. John’s game considering their lack of shooters, especially in the backcourt. Miller’s defense is designed to decrease dribble penetration and always keeps the post-defender well in front of the low post guy, so in theory, more perimeter options should be available and, in general, we might see a similar offensive attack from what we saw UConn settle with against Villanova.

Like other pack-line defenses out there (Virginia, Liberty and Charlotte come to mind), there will not be a lot of pressure on the ball and ball movement on the perimeter should be plentiful.

Based on this, I’d expect another slow game from Newton and the bigs, with more contributions from better shooters (Hawkins, Calcaterra, Karaban, Alleyne). Also, the vision and passing creativity of Jackson and Karaban will be huge to help navigate the pack and find interior looks.

With just three double-digit scoring games in his short UConn tenure, I expect Alleyne to have his best game of the season, finally showcasing the steady, efficient shooting he was so well known for at Virginia Tech.

View attachment 82465

VJCDWVBot8NFvr-HrlWKp8GatnvfEr748M4UlaBeMNmL7LUZsKEoOqTYwBz6JzbpF--Vy3rg2wI_ttrbPosQOh8AQAMiPKoYJm7TPSWlQuTIsnnAgY32XNzt5bVliSAy33jXzT_skcYCNXf_pLsGRH437RrfaRFHQGktLB_X68g_OsODXYYREwxEESmjfQ

For the last four games against non-cupcakes, Xavier has essentially played a seven-man rotation with heavy reliance on the starters (26.9% bench minutes, 279th in the nation).

When Hunter subs in for Nunge, Xavier essentially plays with two non-shooting bigs, considering Freemantle is shooting threes at a career low rate (0.6 3PA this season vs. 1.5 3PA last season and 3.7 the year before). Speaking of Freemantle, he’s looked the most strong, in shape and most healthy in his career, making him a more viable down-low defender in addition to his offensive game.

Claude reminds me a lot of a young Paul Scruggs: a big, strong combo guard who is not afraid to attack the rim, but susceptible to poor shot selection.

Speaking of Scruggs, some have said (I share this opinion as well) that his omnipresence on Xavier’s offense was an overall detriment to the team, and so far, there’s a clear upside on offense with the addition of Souley Boum. Boum is a long, ambidextrous point guard who can score anywhere and uses his length and quickness to get easy buckets down low.

Colby Jones has continued his maturation as one of the best players in the Big East. A versatile wing who can do a bit of everything, Jones does much of his work inside and has an awareness to kick out for open shots when needed. When he drives, watch for Kunkel and Nunge to move to the perimeter and then Freemantle ready for the quick dish underneath and/or the offensive rebound.

UConn has yet to play this season against a center like Nunge, whose poise, versatility and length hasn’t been matched with any of the other talented bigs they’ve seen so far.

Overall, Xavier is arguably UConn’s toughest matchup this season. While UConn will obviously be favored, I’d bet it will be their lowest spread of the season so far, and for good reason.

A version of the above report is available on my blog, feel free to share it via email, link, Twitter, etc.

Does anyone get these scouting reports to The Carpenter?

Reaction Score
Xavier looks very good based on the players they have and their resume.

But am I wrong to say that if UConn's stops Boum and Nunge, the game is over?

Reaction Score
I also think this might be the best coach we'll face this season (there's an argument for Matta, Oats, or McDermott, but I think Miller is the best of that bunch). They have some good veteran guys, and we lost there last season. And the Cintas Center will be bumping.
That's something I'm worried about. Miller is a much better coach than Steele, someone who I thought was a bottom-tier coach in the conference last season.

This is essentially the same team as last year, just with Boum replacing Scruggs (I think an upgrade) and Miller replacing Steele (HUGE upgrade).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

They essentially have five scorers.

Boun averages 17 ppg, 3 guys average between 14-15 points and Kunkel averages 10 a game.

Take out Boun and any one of the three 14 point scorers and your chance of winning is very good.

Reaction Score
offensively, they have the three archetypes that have been challenges for us this season: a quick, crafty guard in boum, a legitimate pick-and-pop five in nunge, and a bigger, physical four in freemantle. they are going to be able to score on us.

that being said, i think our shooters and our depth make us a nightmare match-up for them as well. they are NOT a good defensive team, and we are. plus, xavier is one of the teams that we have played really well against since re-joining the big east, so the vets should have plenty of confidence.

this would be our most impressive win of the season if we can swing it.

Reaction Score
7 man rotation in an uptempo offense against a team as deep as UConn that also likes to run is a great matchup for us. This will be a close game for the first 30-35 minutes, but then I expect our depth to carry up to a close win. Xavier will be gassed by the 35 minute mark just like they were against St Johns last night. They nearly choked an 18 point lead in the final 10 minutes because they ran out of energy

Reaction Score
Would be our most impressive win to date. Top 20 team on the road, should be a hostile environment. We’ll need to play better than we have the last 2 games. Let’s go 15-0!!
They're ranked #22.

Reaction Score
Win and we’re (likely) the #1 team in the nation Monday at noon. Let’s go!!!

Reaction Score
Not unless Purdue loses to Florida A&M tonight.
We would flip votes for sure. Purdue's SoS argument will have completely disappeared, especially after their game against #357 FAMU tonight. Their SoS dropped from 30 to 80 after their game against #340 New Orleans. This game will plummet them down to 120/130ish. We are are 124.

Reaction Score
This is definitely a game where I am most interested in watching the battle at the 4 spot. Can Karaban handle Freemantle? Does Jackson take Freemantle, leaving Karaban on the shiftier Jones? This would be a good one for Johnson to be healthy for, as his length could at least disrupt Freemantle a little more, or even let Sanogo take him while Johnson takes the longer Nunge.
All in, I think we still take this with our shooting, but it's going to be a nailbiter for sure.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You had me until Colby Jones. He is a great athlete and clearly has the tools, but I think he plays out of control, and costs them 3-4 possessions a game with just bad decisions.

Boum is just an awesome point guard. So smooth and smart, he is a throwback. Nunge is kind of an old school center too although he can pop out and shoot 3's. Freemantle is playing like less of an idiot than he did last year or even earlier this season, and Kunkel is night and day more under control than he was last year.

The bench is not great. Hunter and Claude are OK as minutes eaters, but they are not real threats to do anything. I don't know why Craft doesn't play more. This team seems to run out of gas at the end of games, so it needs someone to give the starters a few more minutes on the bench.

Reaction Score
This is definitely a game where I am most interested in watching the battle at the 4 spot. Can Karaban handle Freemantle? Does Jackson take Freemantle, leaving Karaban on the shiftier Jones? This would be a good one for Johnson to be healthy for, as his length could at least disrupt Freemantle a little more, or even let Sanogo take him while Johnson takes the longer Nunge.
All in, I think we still take this with our shooting, but it's going to be a nailbiter for sure.
how about sanogo on freemantle with karaban on nunge? either way, karaban is going to be a target as an undersized four -- might as well put him on the guy who xavier prefers to leave out on the perimeter.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
X kinda fell apart at the end of the SJU game and SJU didn't seem particularly good to me. SJU played hero ball all night - that or their idea of passing along the perimeter is a single pass and then a scoring attempt. Those guys just don't listen to their coach I swear, I remember thinking the same thing last year too.

The Huskies will do just fine against Xavier, it'll be another close game I am sure though.

Reaction Score

We will grind them down as their nerves and quality are challenged by Hickey shift type subs and going from smooth 245 of muscle to hulking 270 of mountain. If Sampson finds a way on. Forget it. I wish springs could find time in a game like this just for his physicality.

Reaction Score
Agreeing with most said in this thread, they are a tough team and no joke at their house. I think we can play with anyone but a win here would be a big deal.

Reaction Score
Definitely would be very pleased to come out of there with a win. A loss would be disappointing, but not surprising.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom