This ankle problem she has worries me.She threw a leaping 3/4 court pass to CW, and rolled it coming down.
Seems that Kara Walters put her finger on what was going on with Mir: Likely a "issue with practice." So Coach Geno let her out of his dog house, and she responds with5 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist in 8 minutes. Nicely done! So much for the notion that she just doesn't fit on the court due to her "size." Outscored Nika. If the "attitude" problem is fixed, she should get more minutes for the remainder of the season.
Suspect the outcome will relate more to minutes in the playoffs versus getting "yanked" while playing a 3rd tier team. No accident Nika's minutes in big games are reduced.Nika does things that in years past would have gotten her yanked. I have to believe she does not get yanked because Geno wants to preserve the fire while she learns to jettison some of the wildness.
Well, Uconn has played three games that IMO could be called “big” games; Muhl sat against Tennessee in which Auriemma has publicly said was a conscious choice by him to send her a message. She was fourth in minutes against Arkansas; at 25 minutes, she had 5 more than Ono, 6 more than Griffin and 12 more than Edwards. Edwards fouled out in 13 minutes in that game so if anything one would think that would have increased minutes for Ono and Griffin. In addition, she tied for second in minutes against South Carolina with Edwards, both at 35 minutes out of 45. Only Bueckers, who played the entire game, had more than those two. I hardly think that correlates to reduced minutes in big games.Suspect the outcome will relate more to minutes in the playoffs versus getting "yanked" while playing a 3rd tier team. No accident Nika's minutes in big games are reduced.
She rolled it on a full court pass to Williams. She grimaced and limped off. Sat for a while. Then returned and played the rest of the game ( save for a few moments at the end ). She appeared "fine" after the incident...but her shooting was off. I wonder if the two factors are related.Didn’t watch the game but when did Paige roll her ankle and how much did she play ?
A few additions of miscellany; Piath got a few garbage minutes and looked ( to me ) as though she is gaining confidence. And Autumn got not a second in a 40 point blow-out. Hers will be a fascinating story if she remains at UCONN. Because she dropped yet another notch on the depth chart when Saylor arrived, and will drop another when ANNA returns to health. And forget about next year. She needs to add 25 pounds of muscle, and hit 80% from the arc to ever get a look.Some thoughts on the Xavier game:
- Per Geno, “You don’t become a good March team in March.” While UConn’s offense was inconsistent at times, the Huskies defense was suffocating once again. I felt bad for the Musketeers who’s season has been battered by Covid stoppages, and they were clearly never in the game.
- Did anyone else start clutching their chest when Paige rolled her ankle again? I sure hope this isn’t one of those lingering problems that dogs her all season.
- Liv came out with a purpose today. She was 4/5, with 5 rbs, 4 asts & 1 blk in the 1st qtr.
- Christyn seems to almost play her way into the game. Her first two shots were a brick and an air-ball, after which she was 9/14 with 22 pts.
- Nika might want to take it easy with no look passes, particularly when an easy pass to an open teammate would be a better option, although I must say I love the fact that the shortest Husky on the court had 8 rebounds, many of which were grabbed in traffic.
- Aaliyah with a hard-earned double-double; 16pts & 11rbs. She is one tough Canadian.
- Evina's stat line: 8 pts, 9 rbs, 5 ast, 3 stl, 2 blk. She is the "Swiss Army Knife."
- It certainly looks like Geno has settled on a 7-player rotation heading into the tournament, subject to Anna’s potential availability.
Nothing new .. Liv did the same in the prior game vs St Johns scoring 11 of our first 21 points [21-8] .. outscoring St Johns by herself .. she pretty much decided the game on her own, eh?Liv came out with a purpose today. She was 4/5, with 5 rbs, 4 asts & 1 blk in the 1st qtr.
Probably in Croatian.After the game, Geno said he was impressed with Nika's ball handling when that girl was harassing her. Geno said Nika got a "little pissy" about it. I would not want Nika angry with me! There is no telling what Nika told that kid concerning her health moving forward.
yes but you also have to take it into context. i am happy with the game NM has played. I'm sure that GA hopes that she doesn't miss all of her 3s. If you read my post, then you know I think NM had a very good floor game.Geno has quite often made a distinction between shooting well and playing well.