Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
What happened with Mir? Just five minutes' playing time? In a big blowout? That constitutes a severe rebuke from the head coach. Mir through the first three games was leading the team in points per minute. And even in this game, she came in and got a block and a rebound.

Very strange. Hope it passes......

I think Geno is sending her a message, like he has done with many similar Freshman in past years. I suspect that once Nike Muhl comes back from her injured ankle, she comes in as the 8th person, with Mir McLean as the 9th person. Geno's current rotation and minutes are working just fine, for now. (I suspect that the next time around with some of these teams, people like Mir, Piath and Autumn will see increased minutes. Otherwise, I don't see much changes in PT in the near future)

Reaction Score
Wonderful game by the team.
  • I thought the first quarter was beautifully played offensively and defensively. You could tell after that quarter Geno decided to work on a few things like zone and different lineups
  • ONO no CWill are continuing their great play. Assertive and confident and the maturity and consistency you can see with them is a sight to behold. I hope they can continue that against better competition
  • With Paige, Evina and Anna you have three amazing facilitators and i think Geno believes this is lineup that can do real damage because on the offensive end the open person will make the shot. Evina is proving what a wonderful player she is. Always calm and in control and if she can hit threes, this team truly has it going. Starting five gives you scoring options everywhere. Only slight disadvantage with this lineup is Anna isn’t as good defensively compared to AE or AG, but better offensively
  • Solid games by both AE And AG. They will only get more comfortable playing with many of the starters and I believe they bring a defensive presence and low post and offensive rebounding for the team. Their transition game is also very good. I would like to see them both take some more open mid range shots during the game as that would be the next step for the team.
  • Piath and Autumn don’t look out of sorts and like their efforts.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Scored more points in the first quarter than they did in the first half against Creighton! Defense was particularly good in the first half. Offensive rebs kind of low so far?

Christyn had a breakout game. Her 24 matched Aaliyah & Aubrey combined, and those 2 were playing well. CW's short range efficiency could improve.

First time 3 pt shots going in -- CW 4/5, Evina Westbrook, 3/5, Bueckers 2/5, Mak only 1, but early in the game to set the tone. Free throws pretty good, though maybe not as good as in the Creighton game. PB's missing 2/3 for the 3 pt foul was unusual. CW missed her first, but 4/5 overall. Both Evina & LIv 2/2.

It didn't seem like Liv played a lot of minutes, but the skills she demonstrated in the Creighton game haven't diminished.

PB's passing is impressive, but as she gets used to D1 defense, I think she'll get better & have fewer turnovers. Good that she avoided foul trouble this time around.

Refs calling so many travels slows down the game to the point of being annoying.

EW is getting better and better. Better passer than PB at this point?

Nika needs to keep her mask on. And I'm sure Geno's voice can be heard through that bank robber thing; seemed like it was more off than on. Isn't he on the verge of Social Security?
Did you hear Mehgan ask if there was an emphasis on travel calls and Allen asking if it was maybe the refs were having problems seeing the feet because of the masks.

Reaction Score
What happened with Mir? Just five minutes' playing time? In a big blowout? That constitutes a severe rebuke from the head coach. Mir through the first three games was leading the team in points per minute. And even in this game, she came in and got a block and a rebound.

Very strange. Hope it passes......

What you are citing is completely useless stat. I'm sure your can find players that had higher points per minute stats than DT, Stewie, and Maya.

You're using a stat to define a player and a coach which has no business being used in the way you want to.

Reaction Score
Evina is really solid, always under control. She could be a bit more aggressive with her shot, but I think that will come as she becomes more comfortable. I bet Evina must be thinking this type of basketball is way more fun than the kind she played in her first 2 years in college and why she did not come here sooner or in the first place.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Many people believed early on that this would be a full-court pressing, 40 minutes of hell type team. The rotation would be continuous, with fresh bodies changing shifts like hockey. This is the type of team I would love to see, and we got a glimpse of such the first quarter. Only problem is that Geno is not one to run-up a score and try to humiliate another team, so we are left with a half court, over passing, offense and a half assed defense. Gotta' find a way to keep these kids aggressive the entire 40 minutes. Side bar - Evina is finding her groove, and will prove to be invaluable.
Unlike Kim and Baylor, who play the teams that are out of the top 250 maybe even 300 in Women's BB. Then she proceeds to walk all over them. The last two teams are from the Southland Conference and are at the bottom of the barrel, Northwestern State and McNeese State are a combined 0 - 9.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A fine game for the Huskies, but I was puzzled by how many times we tried to shove it inside on the defense's strong side while Paige hung out on the weak side corner and read a magazine.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your opinion.
I see the players as pieces. I like Anna a lot too. I happen to see Aubrey as a star. With Paige, Evina and Anna I just see a little redundancy. They all can do similar things. Paige has to be out there. Aubrey is unique. I’d love to see her get bigger minutes. At least 25. Anyway. Substitute Evina in my stance and I’m still happy.
Abundance of riches.

Aubrey is better coming off the bench but Anna is far superior in making team go.

Reaction Score
Many people believed early on that this would be a full-court pressing, 40 minutes of hell type team. The rotation would be continuous, with fresh bodies changing shifts like hockey. This is the type of team I would love to see, and we got a glimpse of such the first quarter. Only problem is that Geno is not one to run-up a score and try to humiliate another team, so we are left with a half court, over passing, offense and a half assed defense. Gotta' find a way to keep these kids aggressive the entire 40 minutes. Side bar - Evina is finding her groove, and will prove to be invaluable.

Yes we do-- but not necessarily the style you want to see.

You're a fan as I am. We have little regard for what it takes as a coach to do what we would most love to see. Just because you are bored with half-court offense - and having the team play only the style you want-- doesn't mean you're right.

And keeping the kids aggressive doesn't mean press press press only. You can be aggressive in halfcourt offense too. We're trying to build 6-7 capable scorers thus by end of season they don't have to rely solely on the press. It's never a bad thing for a coach to try to win in different ways.

In terms of that-- I can't understand why any UCONN fan can't look forward to that style also being exciting.

Reaction Score
I see the players as pieces. I like Anna a lot too. I happen to see Aubrey as a star. With Paige, Evina and Anna I just see a little redundancy. They all can do similar things. Paige has to be out there. Aubrey is unique. I’d love to see her get bigger minutes. At least 25. Anyway. Substitute Evina in my stance and I’m still happy.
Abundance of riches.

I think you are overrating Aubrey at this point in her career. Aubrey has shown tremendous strides-- she has made some beautiful baskets inside the pant the last few games. But she still seems to struggle passing the ball off the bounce. Her shot outside the paint still highly questionable. Still questionable how she can do defensively vs physical posts.

If she can't pass well off the bounce and can't shoot outside of the paint-- then how is that a "star" this early in her career? Other teams have great athletes too. And while it would be rare for someone to be as great a athletically-- they are probably "athletic enough" to defend her knowing she can't shoot outside the paint and can't pass well off the bounce.

I'm sure if she is the star you suggest then she would be dominating in practices. I do agree with you though in that I would have no problem starting her if the wings can't shoot.

Reaction Score
Abundance of riches.

AG needs to show some kind of mid range game if she wants to become a regular starter.............the defense, the rebounding and her ability to finish are top notch but if she can't score from 10-15 feet it's not going to happen............that's not to say she doesn't have that ability because she appeared to be a pretty decent outside shooter in high school.........it's all about confidence and Geno's giving her the green light to shoot from out there.......

Reaction Score
did anybody else notice how much Edwards was talking at the defensive end on in bounds plays............gotta love that from a freshman......

Got to love Edwards!!! Love her!! We started a thread on her a while back but i feel like thee should be more. This year we hit a jackpot in terms of frosh recruits with her and Paige.

Last few years I didn't want to really see a physical team go against us-- now I'm like "Bring it on!" While at this point she still would be inconsistent and could lay a clunker-- but so what-- she just has so much force to her game. And with Aubrey - a freak athlete and Liv is also a tremendous athlete-- we have a real nice core of 3.

I'm absolutely giddy over Edwards.

Reaction Score
A fine game for the Huskies, but I was puzzled by how many times we tried to shove it inside on the defense's strong side while Paige hung out on the weak side corner and read a magazine.
Rocky I think Geno or CD said something about that not being a magazine. Do to excessive time in the film room Paige had gotten behind on her home work. ;)

Reaction Score
Wonderful game by the team.
  • I thought the first quarter was beautifully played offensively and defensively. You could tell after that quarter Geno decided to work on a few things like zone and different lineups
  • ONO no CWill are continuing their great play. Assertive and confident and the maturity and consistency you can see with them is a sight to behold. I hope they can continue that against better competition
  • With Paige, Evina and Anna you have three amazing facilitators and i think Geno believes this is lineup that can do real damage because on the offensive end the open person will make the shot. Evina is proving what a wonderful player she is. Always calm and in control and if she can hit threes, this team truly has it going. Starting five gives you scoring options everywhere. Only slight disadvantage with this lineup is Anna isn’t as good defensively compared to AE or AG, but better offensively
  • Solid games by both AE And AG. They will only get more comfortable playing with many of the starters and I believe they bring a defensive presence and low post and offensive rebounding for the team. Their transition game is also very good. I would like to see them both take some more open mid range shots during the game as that would be the next step for the team.
  • Piath and Autumn don’t look out of sorts and like their efforts.

Anna is better than Edwards at this point and plays a good but different defensive game than AG. I see steals, disruptions, getting in position.

Reaction Score
AG needs to show some kind of mid range game if she wants to become a regular starter.............the defense, the rebounding and her ability to finish are top notch but if she can't score from 10-15 feet it's not going to happen............that's not to say she doesn't have that ability because she appeared to be a pretty decent outside shooter in high school.........it's all about confidence and Geno's giving her the green light to shoot from out there.......
Nice comments. More minutes could smooth out some of her rough edges. Frankly I don’t need her to be able to shoot anything but a lay up. Anything else is gravy. She can finish!

Reaction Score
Yes we do-- but not necessarily the style you want to see.

You're a fan as I am. We have little regard for what it takes as a coach to do what we would most love to see. Just because you are bored with half-court offense - and having the team play only the style you want-- doesn't mean you're right.

And keeping the kids aggressive doesn't mean press press press only. You can be aggressive in halfcourt offense too. We're trying to build 6-7 capable scorers thus by end of season they don't have to rely solely on the press. It's never a bad thing for a coach to try to win in different ways.

In terms of that-- I can't understand why any UCONN fan can't look forward to that style also being exciting.
My point was their play today after the first quarter was lackluster. They were getting beat fairly consistently on defense, did not really pressure the outside shots, committed quite a few silly fouls. Offensive, they passed up too many open shots for a more "perfect shot" but ended up over passing, Now, it must be hard to keep motivated when you're up by 30 in the first quarter, but staying focused is the issue. When we play top 5 teams you have to bring it for 40 minutes - that was my focus. I am excited for every style of play, as long as it is solid. Life is good when we can complain in a blowout!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Scored more points in the first quarter than they did in the first half against Creighton! Defense was particularly good in the first half. Offensive rebs kind of low so far?

Christyn had a breakout game. Her 24 matched Aaliyah & Aubrey combined, and those 2 were playing well. CW's short range efficiency could improve.

First time 3 pt shots going in -- CW 4/5, Evina Westbrook, 3/5, Bueckers 2/5, Mak only 1, but early in the game to set the tone. Free throws pretty good, though maybe not as good as in the Creighton game. PB's missing 2/3 for the 3 pt foul was unusual. CW missed her first, but 4/5 overall. Both Evina & LIv 2/2.

It didn't seem like Liv played a lot of minutes, but the skills she demonstrated in the Creighton game haven't diminished.

PB's passing is impressive, but as she gets used to D1 defense, I think she'll get better & have fewer turnovers. Good that she avoided foul trouble this time around.

Refs calling so many travels slows down the game to the point of being annoying.

EW is getting better and better. Better passer than PB at this point?

Nika needs to keep her mask on. And I'm sure Geno's voice can be heard through that bank robber thing; seemed like it was more off than on. Isn't he on the verge of Social Security?
agree with all except ref calling travels slow the game down. It's not the ref's it's the players traveling that slows the game down. A problem that needs to be corrected asap or sooner.
Anyone notice that the players are rounding into game shape, very little gasping for breath like in the first 2 games. The team is working through a lot of the early problems and is developing a good rhythm, or what many call chemistry. The future looks bright, I'm all in now, how about you.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
We also saw what Geno is most likely going to do in the Baylor game. Anna goes to the bench replaced by Aaiyah. With the remaining starters, that was an effective lineup in the 1st quarter.

Positive step forward
Starting five is set
AE and AG are 6 & 7, that's gelled nicely the past two games. I think AG plays much better with starters
NM looks serious just sitting on the bench.
Have to chuckle when AE draws a charge. If she didn't sell it, the opponent would bounce off of her.
AW getting better each game
Center ice trap worked great

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One negative: UConn struggled in zone defense. Way to many open 3's for Xavier during that time.
I said in the chat that Xavier scored so well in the 2nd quarter because UConn went away from M2M (and Paige play only 6 minutes), as Geno wanted to work quarter court zone. Hey, he's always looking at March. I also noted his anger when he realized how much they need to work on that zone. It'll come.

Reaction Score
On Old Dude's first two points, the pressure defense was even more impressive since it obviously did rattle an experienced team with five returning starters. Very impressive, as was the aggressive defense the last game.

The offense came together much better this game as well. They didn't do it much, but I liked the look against a zone when Paige or Evina would try to sneak into the middle of the zone to receive a pass. Putting a playmaker that can pass or shoot from there, and drop a pass down low, or out to a three point shooter if they collapse could be a strategy that works well with this personnel if we get used to running it.

Aubrey, down low, with her back to the basket, catches and picks her move, pass or shoot, elevates, surprising the taller big, and everyone cheers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom