Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
100%. I started getting skeptical when we cut it to 1 and then Xavier went on a 10-0 run to go up 67-56, but once we answered that punch I thought we'd pull it out
Hope you took the points.

Reaction Score
1st half great, 2nd half sucks (SH) 1st half horrible, 2nd half good (tonight), this is making my head hurt.

Call me crazy but don't these guys have an actual game plan carefully laid out before the game starts? How can you run the exact same offense against a team as good as Xavier that just beat you. They beat us the first time by making us shoot 37 threes, and we were what, 1 for 14 in the first half? And I love Jackson, but how can you start a game by allowing him to take 6 of your first 8 shots? Was that the plan? At the 16:00 mark, we were still at 0 - at home. Total buzzkill, see ya home court advantage!

You don't need to be basketball "royalty" to know you don't call a TO with your best shooter ready to shoot the damn ball. And honestly to me it didn't even look like Newton tried to miss that last free throw. Hurley was standing 30 feet from him.

Say what you want, good loss/learning experience/something to build on. Some of this stuff doesn't even make any sense. Maybe the players are as confused as I am.

I was behind the basket and it looked to me like he floated his second attempt with a much higher arc. Not sure if he was hoping for the back of the rim or not, but that second attempt seemed different than the first. And before Clingan came in, Hurley was chatting with him, and then Clingan went in and said something privately to Sanogo.

Based off Hurley’s reaction after that attempt, I honestly do think that he was trying to miss it. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He should floating around the lane to get putbacks and rebounds, not in the corner as a safety valve.
Yeah he needs to be the best cutter on the team. No reason for him to float on the 3 point line.

He did it one time when his man doubled Sanogo and it led to an easy layup when Sanogo found him in the lane.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Worry away if you must.
I'm not part of your "we."

I like how he kept composure when Miller stalled & tried to stir things up after Freemantle fouled out. The entire coaching squad seemed more actively involved in game adjustments & team management.

There's no doubt that there have got to be better ways to get Newton going.

This is too extreme for me. In addition to late arrivals, errors, breakdowns, etc., I saw recoveries and successes and adjusted defensive schemes. The second half showed results that came from such efforts. Fewer dumb fouls were committed.

Yeah, "showed some heart," but I'm definitely NOT part of what your "we" is looking at.

Some yes plus some no
doesn't add up to "simply."

On the plus side, looks like you found your peeps, even if maybe you don't aspire to be cheerleading captain for Team Eeyore.

Well, yeah, there were errors, a number at key junctures, but you left out some good things that would signal progress.

In recent games, they fell apart and showed little recovery when things like that happened.

It was interesting that you mentioned 2 things by the same player (who had his 'fullest' Big East game) by referring to him by his last name and his misspelled first name.

There are other possibilities: unobservant, uncomprehending, or subject to excessive influence by haters & trolls.

To be fair, some of these alternative suggestions may better apply to others allied in overall opinion, including haters and trolls

Negative voices aren't exhibiting widespread growth and improvement in supportive attitude, writing skills, emotional maturity, etc. Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but it's pretty easily observed.

We all ought to be
able to improve over the season's unfolding. A lot of folks don't even seem to be trying.

I appreciate you owning your feelings.

I accept as fact an outcome I didn't want. Having done that, it's easier for me to appreciate the observable positives and move on to the next game.

Can you read? Many are not. Not many are. I quote some of them above, and I'm only on the 3rd page when I wrote. No way it could have let up.

Do you possibly imagine that those who don't rmphasize the upsetting things are happy? On what basis? Absence of complaints?

Am I going to let you dictate how I should feel, or let you stigmatize me if I have a different perspective on things? No way. I don't see a winning attitude in how you express yourself. It's more a whining attitude.

Nothing makes me want to emulate you. And none of that means that I didn't & haven't seen the same games as you, and that I haven't felt a wide span of uncomfortable feelings.

What are YOU going to do moving forward?
What will the coaches do?
What will the players do?

I choose not add to the pig pile of cataloging past wrongs and forecasting future futility & doom. Why should I?

Put up 55 points, didn't get into foul trouble, and didn't collapse. In context, yes, amazing.

Too bad Joey or Tristen couldn't draw a foul on their 3-pointer attempts at game's end and send the game into OT if they made the FTs. But that's way too low percentage a strategy.

You do realize that you posted this instantly after a post that said, "No, should never be happy after a loss," don't you?

I haven't seen a "feel good about the result" post yet.

Tonight 2 or 3, right? If all of them were "freeze ups."
How many times have we in the past or will we in the future? I dunno. Do we really "have to?"

I'll go out on a limb and say that it'll continue to happen until it doesn't.

I'll root in favor of improving in the meantime.
How about you?
Anybody else?

I think that's enough for me, other than to say that in addition to the well-known phrase 'ishposting,' I want make mention of seeing a lot of what I'll now name "pissposting," both here and in other threads. I'm not a fan of it. It seems singularly unhelpful, by virtue of grafting a recruitment agenda onto venting in order to create a negative energy community.
Well Done Reaction GIF

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He wasn’t a factor tonight, but why is Xavier the worst possible matchup for him? Others folks have said the same. Is Nunge too good? Is it because when Jackson can’t make the outside shot that they clog the inside? I’m asking friendly just out of curiosity.
He left Nunge completely wide open on a 3. Nunge missed and X got the board and scored. Happened last X game too. I don’t know when people are going to open their eyes and realize he is really slow. Josh Carlton was quicker. He cannot guard on the perimeter and recover to the paint. So he’s not effective against any big that can shoot (on volume), and Xavier has two. I keep pointing out what seems obvious and the staff is clearly allocating his minutes that way. He came in when Nunge went out last night, same pattern we’ve seen.

I don’t know if DePaul has a 5 that can shoot, if they do look for less minutes.
More minutes vs Georgetown probably. Less against Creighton. More vs Marquette. More vs PC. Less vs Nova. It’s not rocket science. Against mobile, agile centers that can shoot from outside he will be likely in the 8-10 minute range. Against traditional bigs that rely on a post game he will get 16-20 minutes. Sanogo foul trouble can shift those numbers.

Reaction Score
Worry away if you must.

I like how he kept composure when Miller stalled & tried to stir things up after Freemantle fouled out. The entire coaching squad seemed more actively involved in game adjustments & team management.

This is too extreme for me. In addition to late arrivals, errors, breakdowns, etc., I saw recoveries and successes and adjusted defensive schemes. The second half showed results that came from such efforts. Fewer dumb fouls were committed.

Yeah, "showed some heart," but I'm definitely NOT part of what your "we" is looking at.

Some yes plus some no

On the plus side, looks like you found your peeps, even if maybe you don't aspire to be cheerleading captain for Team Eeyore.

Well, yeah, there were errors, a number at key junctures, but you left out some good things that would signal progress.

In recent games, they fell apart and showed little recovery when things like that happened.

It was interesting that you mentioned 2 things by the same player (who had his 'fullest' Big East game) by referring to him by his last name and his misspelled first name.

There are other possibilities: unobservant, uncomprehending, or subject to excessive influence by haters & trolls.

To be fair, some of these alternative suggestions may better apply to others allied in overall opinion, including haters and trolls

Negative voices aren't exhibiting widespread growth and improvement in supportive attitude, writing skills, emotional maturity, etc. Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but it's pretty easily observed.

We all ought to be
able to improve over the season's unfolding. A lot of folks don't even seem to be trying.

I accept as fact an outcome I didn't want. Having done that, it's easier for me to appreciate the observable positives and move on to the next game.

Can you read? Many are not. Not many are. I quote some of them above, and I'm only on the 3rd page when I wrote. No way it could have let up.

Do you possibly imagine that those who don't rmphasize the upsetting things are happy? On what basis? Absence of complaints?

Am I going to let you dictate how I should feel, or let you stigmatize me if I have a different perspective on things? No way. I don't see a winning attitude in how you express yourself. It's more a whining attitude.

Nothing makes me want to emulate you. And none of that means that I didn't & haven't seen the same games as you, and that I haven't felt a wide span of uncomfortable feelings.

I choose not add to the pig pile of cataloging past wrongs and forecasting future futility & doom. Why should I?

Put up 55 points, didn't get into foul trouble, and didn't collapse. In context, yes, amazing.

Too bad Joey or Tristen couldn't draw a foul on their 3-pointer attempts at game's end and send the game into OT if they made the FTs. But that's way too low percentage a strategy.

You do realize that you posted this instantly after a post that said, "No, should never be happy after a loss," don't you?

How many times have we in the past or will we in the future? I dunno. Do we really "have to?"

How about you?
Anybody else?

I think that's enough for me, other than to say that in addition to the well-known phrase 'ishposting,' I want make mention of seeing a lot of what I'll now name "pissposting," both here and in other threads. I'm not a fan of it. It seems singularly unhelpful, by virtue of grafting a recruitment agenda onto venting in order to create a negative energy community.

I can't read all of this, but I respect the effort.

Reaction Score
You know that your case being dismissed isn't a favorable outcome, don't you?
Of Course its not favorable. I wish my case wasn't even an option. But its reality....the toughness factor which USED to be UConn staples (other teams physically better but we out-"tough" them to win) isn't existent to this point with this team. They get punched in the mouth and they wilt. They face ANY adversity, they wilt. If things go to plan; they are fine its when things don't go to plan is the issue.

Reaction Score
On the plus side, I think Hurley might have figured out how to use Jackson when teams sag off him that much. It took 1.5 games against X. Hopefully, he doesn't revert to something stupid.
Hurley said in the postgame press conference that the gameplan was to have Andre do more dribble handoffs/screens/cutting with his man playing so far off but that basically Andre fell into the trap as a competitor and it was a tough situation for him.

In the second half the dribble hand offs especially worked with Andres man playing so far off basically dropping into the lane that when you have Hawk/Newton coming off the screen there is no one there to contest those shots. Have to hope seeing it on tape will open up Andres eyes going forward.

Reaction Score
Hurley said in the postgame press conference that the gameplan was to have Andre do more dribble handoffs/screens/cutting with his man playing so far off but that basically Andre fell into the trap as a competitor and it was a tough situation for him.

In the second half the dribble hand offs especially worked with Andres man playing so far off basically dropping into the lane that when you have Hawk/Newton coming off the screen there is no one there to contest those shots. Have to hope seeing it on tape will open up Andres eyes going forward.
I could tell when watching last night as I am sure others here did too, with Xavier players playing so far off of him it was f u c k i n g with Andre's head. He shot fairly well from 3 in the Nova game and hit a clutch 3 late in that game.

He needs to shoot them to keep the defense honest, but not too much. In other words, he needs to shoot them when he is comfortable doing so and not when the other team wants him to shoot it. Last night he was just flinging the ball up there hoping it would go in. As for his ability to drive to the basket and shoot close to the rim, smh, I am lost.

Reaction Score
He needs to shoot them to keep the defense honest, but not too much. In other words, he needs to shoot them when he is comfortable doing so and not when the other team wants him to shoot it. Last night he was just flinging the ball up there hoping it would go in. As for his ability to drive to the basket and shoot close to the rim, smh, I am lost.
I don’t think he should shoot another 3 the rest of the season, unless there is less than 5 seconds on shot clock. He has bad form, and a wide open 3 for him is a lower percentage shot than the alternative. Your don’t see Clingan shooting 3s because he know he can’t make them. UConn needs to assume everyone will leave him wide open and come up with a plan to handle that other than shooting the 3. Andre is at 29% from 3 and probably half of those were wide open shots.It is not a shooting slump, it’s bad mechanics and bad form. It won’t get better until form improves.

Reaction Score
I was behind the basket and it looked to me like he floated his second attempt with a much higher arc. Not sure if he was hoping for the back of the rim or not, but that second attempt seemed different than the first. And before Clingan came in, Hurley was chatting with him, and then Clingan went in and said something privately to Sanogo.

Based off Hurley’s reaction after that attempt, I honestly do think that he was trying to miss it. Just my $0.02.

Absolutely. Saw it the same way. And I was sitting off to the side of the basket behind the UConn bench.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Saw it the same way. And I was sitting off to the side of the basket behind the UConn bench.

Yep. And he was trying to miss it in a way that would result in a high in-the-lane rebound (to favor Donovan getting it). As opposed to the "fling it at 150mph and hope luck/divine intervention puts it in our hands" miss.

Props for the creativity/plan. Ironic that it seems harder to intentionally miss a FT than it is to miss a regular routine FT many times!

Reaction Score
Well coached game results in an L. The definition of the Hurley era.
We need to work on perimeter defense. It sucks. That little twirp killed us in the 2nd half. The big hole that Hurley dug for the team in the first half was all from 3 point shooting.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I could tell when watching last night as I am sure others here did too, with Xavier players playing so far off of him it was f u c k i n g with Andre's head. He shot fairly well from 3 in the Nova game and hit a clutch 3 late in that game.

Totally agree with the bolded part. It was comical how far they were sagging of Andre. They know he's a prideful player who is susceptible to his emotions and he totally played into their hand. Of course, it'd be a different story had he made them pay and knocked down a couple of these open J's. But it's clear, unfortunately, that his offensive game is extremely limited at this point in time. They refer to players with a large offensive repertoire as "being in their bag." Andre's is a small tote.

Reaction Score
Worry away if you must.

Some yes plus some no

We all ought to be

How about you?
Anybody else?

Hans, you're a nice guy and I respect what you bring to this board but your constant calling out of posters for saying negative but not offensive things is getting exhausting. You're preaching positivity but lecturing people and going after them for being down on the team. People can vent when the team sucks and we're 2-6 in our last 8. Would love to hear your thoughts on actual basketball rather than whether you think everyone else's posts are positive enough about the team.

Reaction Score
We need to work on perimeter defense. It sucks. That little twirp killed us in the 2nd half. The big hole that Hurley dug for the team in the first half was all from 3 point shooting.

We’re holding teams to 28% from 3, top ten in the country. We’re holding Big East opponents to 29%, 2nd best in the conference.

That’s pretty good perimeter defense.

Last night was an anomaly. That may because of the switch to zone pressure on defense. X was using the 3 to bail out when they were under pressure. To their credit, they found the open man and more often than we’d like he hit the shot. That’s to their credit.

Reaction Score
The first half made us look like an undisciplined poorly coached playground team. In order to conserve a little self-respect I turned it off after that assuming we might make a run at home but really the outcome wouldn't wash the bad taste from my mouth either way. We have a fatal flaw where a combination of coaching and personnel results in an offensive dumpster fire. With no settled plan guys are pressing, making poor decisions, taking bad shots and turning the ball over. Hurley likes to bang his head against the wall when certain guys are playing terribly, but because he has a trigger finger for other guys, they get a shot or two, a minute or two and they're back on the bench. There are some selfish guys on this team as well and that's Coach's fault because it isn't being corrected. An awful half followed by a less awful half isn't acceptable given the talent we have at most positions. And while every player has flaws, looking that lost isn't just on them. A leader at PG would would solve a lot of those problems but the reality is we don't have one and the job of the Coach is to make it work. Our passing and the timing of those passes is my biggest complaint. Certain guys ignore other guys and just in general we're too slow getting rid of the ball and missing open players. But he has his ideas and his favorites and because he's stuck on that we're going to live or die by it apparently. Other Coaches aren't dumb in this league and it's obvious we haven't sorted things out yet so we are easy to defend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom