OT: - Xavier Looking To Play Non-Conference Game(s) Before Sunday | The Boneyard

OT: Xavier Looking To Play Non-Conference Game(s) Before Sunday

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Thoughts? Would someone like Drake think it's worth it to play Xavier if they can get a H/H out of it? Maybe Syracuse if they lose today to UVA or SMU/Memphis?

Reaction Score

Thoughts? Would someone like Drake think it's worth it to play Xavier if they can get a H/H out of it? Maybe Syracuse if they lose today to UVA or SMU/Memphis?

Only teams on the outside of the bubble would have any interest. But interesting concept -- get four together, play Saturday and Sunday and let the winner of the four team tourney hope it increased its resume enough. For the others, nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
Can the loser of Seton Hall and St John's play Xavier? Not sure if the BE would allow that. Saint Louis and Richmond are other intriguing options

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That's thinking outside the box. I like it.

I'd think Drake has too much downside as they're still a bubble team. Probably same issue for BYU, although they should be safely in the field even with a loss to Xavier. Probably the only teams with the ability to schedule something that would move the needle enough for Xavier would be Loyola Chicago and Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically I like the idea but just no. It sets a bad precedent moving forward, and they’ve played 21 games. We play our 21st tonight also. I’d love more BE teams in the tourney but they’ve had 21 games to prove they belong in. Also, as already said, don’t lose to DePaul.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interesting. Who would have thought that playing more games might help a team's postseason resume?

Reaction Score

Why not. If they can convince some team to play. I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking

Reaction Score
Hypothetically I like the idea but just no. It sets a bad precedent moving forward, and they’ve played 21 games. We play our 21st tonight also. I’d love more BE teams in the tourney but they’ve had 21 games to prove they belong in. Also, as already said, don’t lose to DePaul.
There is no precedent. Usually teams play the maximum number of games allowed.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I could see Syracuse, Belmont, and St. Mary's sign up for something like this (pending Syracuse losing today).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no precedent. Usually teams play the maximum number of games allowed.

I believe a D1 men's basketball team can play up to 29 games outside its conference tournament (more if some of those are tournaments). Xavier has played 20 regular season games. It could play double headers the next three days and still have 3 open slots left.

Reaction Score
I believe a D1 men's basketball team can play up to 29 games outside its conference tournament (more if some of those are tournaments). Xavier has played 20 regular season games. It could play double headers the next three days and still have 3 open slots left.
This season the max was 27 regular season.

The point is that normally teams schedule the max before the season and don't have any cancelled. So there is no future precedent impact by playing more now.

Reaction Score
You gotta appreciate the craziness of this season. Only this year you would find a team looking for a matchup after their conference tournament
In a normal year, everyone would have played as many games as they allowed to play before the start of the conference tourneys. This will not be a recurring situation.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
St. Louis previously announced they were looking for non-conference options after losing in the A10 tournament. I wonder if they could do an in-season home and home and play Saturday/Sunday in Cincinnati and St Louis

If Memphis and/or SMU loses tomorrow I could see them agreeing to play on Sunday only

Belmont would probably be interested but realistically a win wouldn’t get them in the field

If Syracuse loses to UVA they may be interested but I can’t see Boeheim thinking outside the box and agreeing to this game on short notice

Possibly one of the MWC teams too that are on the bubble between Utah St, Colorado St, Boise St if one loses early in their tournament (aka today)

Reaction Score
Interesting. Who would have thought that playing more games might help a team's postseason resume?
wizard of oz scarecrow GIF

I am stunned that it took nearly an hour for the strawman to come in from the cornfield to make this post. ;)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I just imagine its going to be tough to find someone who wants to play. You need a team that is quality enough to help their resume, but bad enough that they need another possible win to make it worth playing. Any team safely in isn't going to play. Any team clearly out probably won't want to play another "meaningless" game. Bubble teams could shoot themselves in the foot if they play Xavier and lose. Would be interesting to see it happen, but not sure it moves the needle much after how X finished the season with 3 straight losses to non-tourney (autobid) teams.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I could see Syracuse, Belmont, and St. Mary's sign up for something like this (pending Syracuse losing today).
Jim Beohiem believes Syracuse is "in". Doubt he takes another game since he is assuming they are in the field. I'd imagine it would have to be a mid-major team like Belmont, but does a win vs Belmont move the needle for X after losing 3 straight to Butler, Marquette and Georgetown?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Jim Beohiem believes Syracuse is "in". Doubt he takes another game since he is assuming they are in the field. I'd imagine it would have to be a mid-major team like Belmont, but does a win vs Belmont move the needle for X after losing 3 straight to Butler, Marquette and Georgetown?
Both Belmont and Xavier need wins so I think it's a marriage of convenience for both.

Reaction Score
I just imagine its going to be tough to find someone who wants to play. You need a team that is quality enough to help their resume, but bad enough that they need another possible win to make it worth playing. Any team safely in isn't going to play. Any team clearly out probably won't want to play another "meaningless" game. Bubble teams could shoot themselves in the foot if they play Xavier and lose. Would be interesting to see it happen, but not sure it moves the needle much after how X finished the season with 3 straight losses to non-tourney (autobid) teams.
Agree on Syracuse, I think St.Louis and Drake make the most sense here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom