Xavier courtside observations | The Boneyard

Xavier courtside observations

Reaction Score
Having never been to Xavier before, I must say they have a very good basketball arena. Great environment and student section was huge, loud and definitely effected the game. Watching warm ups I was impressed with the length and athleticism of Xavier up close. They seemed bigger then uconn at every position. Once the game started I was equally impressed by uconns physicality on D. In my opinion, we played well, answered every run, but the difference was Nunge. Besides the fact that sanogo sat early, when he came back in, he was bothered by Nunges length, and could not establish any dominance or rhythm. Nothing fell for us most of the night, and fremantle, nudge and Scruggs prevented the offensive board edge we normally enjoy. I was impressed with uconn being able to stay in touch late in the game, but felt the refs started to key on hurley, and the crowd was demanding a T for last 10 minutes. Despite the home crowd tilt and poor shooting from 3 of the 5 starters, we should have won this game. Cole was clutch in the final 5 fighting through triple teams and obvious no calls. But the Jackson T killed all momentum and jacked the crowd to a deafening level, and I saw the defeat in uconns eyes. Tough loss, tough crowd. I will say our boys played very hard and battled like champions, despite the outcome. Our guys love hurleys Fire too and respond to it. Up close, martin is a monster and much leaner and athletic looking then on TV BTW.

Reaction Score
Having never been to Xavier before, I must say they have a very good basketball arena. Great environment and student section was huge, loud and definitely effected the game. Watching warm ups I was impressed with the length and athleticism of Xavier up close. They seemed bigger then uconn at every position. Once the game started I was equally impressed by uconns physicality on D. In my opinion, we played well, answered every run, but the difference was Nunge. Besides the fact that sanogo sat early, when he came back in, he was bothered by Nunges length, and could not establish any dominance or rhythm. Nothing fell for us most of the night, and fremantle, nudge and Scruggs prevented the offensive board edge we normally enjoy. I was impressed with uconn being able to stay in touch late in the game, but felt the refs started to key on hurley, and the crowd was demanding a T for last 10 minutes. Despite the home crowd tilt and poor shooting from 3 of the 5 starters, we should have won this game. Cole was clutch in the final 5 fighting through triple teams and obvious no calls. But the Jackson T killed all momentum and jacked the crowd to a deafening level, and I saw the defeat in uconns eyes. Tough loss, tough crowd. I will say our boys played very hard and battled like champions, despite the outcome. Our guys love hurleys Fire too and respond to it. Up close, martin is a monster and much leaner and athletic looking then on TV BTW.
Great post. I've noticed the xavier students as well. On the TV. Great home environment they have.

Nunges was totally the difference. Great transfer signing for them.

But your phrase "battled like champions" is what I saw more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the perspective. Cole and Martin largely carried the team last night. I will say, though, that Cole missed a giant opportunity during the late comeback run. He had just gone end-to-end for a layup. Next possession, down 6, he again ran it up court and took it straight to the hoop but threw up a contested runner that Xavier rebounded. On that play, Martin was wide open in the left corner for a 3. Cole should have made the pass out to Martin. If Martin hits that, I think it would have cut the margin to 3, and I think Xavier would have really felt the pressure.

Reaction Score
Hopefully DH & team can channel that fire to MSG tomorrow & next week....4 HUGE games next 10 days that will define the season.

Reaction Score
This is an important observation in contrast to the "the refs just see Hurley as whiny and don't respect/fear him".

The players would run through a brick wall for Hurley because they know he sticks up for them.
I have no issue with Hurley getting on the refs, especially on the road where calls go against you more often. JC certainly got his share of T's. But there is a time and place for them. When the team has a little momentum and is putting some pressure on the opponent by making a late comeback, that's not the time for it. If the team is playing flat and one of your guys makes a hustle play but has a 50-50 call go against him, perfect time. Add that Martin has pretty clearly committed a foul, and I don't see the point.

OB - I couldn't see it on the broadcast. Did you see what Hurley did to draw the T? Was it T-worthy?

Reaction Score
I have no issue with Hurley getting on the refs, especially on the road where calls go against you more often. JC certainly got his share of T's. But there is a time and place for them. When the team has a little momentum and is putting some pressure on the opponent by making a late comeback, that's not the time for it. If the team is playing flat and one of your guys makes a hustle play but has a 50-50 call go against him, perfect time. Add that Martin has pretty clearly committed a foul, and I don't see the point.

OB - I couldn't see it on the broadcast. Did you see what Hurley did to draw the T? Was it T-worthy?
Nope. The smallest Weasley looking ref was keyed into Hurley from the tip off. He really seemed to dislike hurley. In fact I saw them jawing before the game tipped, so it wouldn't have takin much. Hurley had to be restrained 2 or 3 times before the actual T. The crowd was chanting T for 10 minutes as game wore down, and refs definitely were influenced in closing minutes. T was inevitable. Warranted? Not in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Couldn't see on TV like you said but DH said in post game that he thought X player was out of bounds prior to Martin "foul". DH claimed he said nothing to warrant a T especially in comparrison to what other coaches get away with. Said he was going to call BE office for clarity.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your courtside observations. Thanks!

I don't think we "should have won". UConn played valiantly, but Xavier was just better in the second half. Your description of X's rebounding and defensive scheme against Sanogo revealed much.

I'm seeing a trend with the contributions of Polly, Whaley, and Hawkins. When 2 of the 3 score some, we seem to win more often. When only 1/3 or 0/3 score, it puts a lot of pressure on the starters.

As others have commented in this forum, those three guys need to make outside shots to prevent teams from packing the interior.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Can't get too mad about last night's game. The Big East is a gauntlet and we're going to have tough fought losses like this. The main thing I've come to notice about this team is that when we're at our best on the boards, we can beat anybody, but if we don't employ that advantage then it becomes really difficult to win against good teams. Add in the fact that our defense was poor in the 2nd half, and frankly it's surprising we only lost by two possessions.

Reaction Score
Couldn't see on TV like you said but DH said in post game that he thought X player was out of bounds prior to Martin "foul". DH claimed he said nothing to warrant a T especially in comparrison to what other coaches get away with. Said he was going to call BE office for clarity.
Is there a link to Hurley post game press conference.

Reaction Score
We could have really used a decent transfer at guard. Team is obviously a guard short.
Coach thought Gaffney would be further along and be a contributer. DH was wrong on this and has pretty much admitted this.

Reaction Score
If Refs are gunning for you, then you better wise up, control yourself and not put your team in compromised position. This nonsense that the kids will run through a brick wall means nothing other than they buy into his frenetic, hyped up mind set, which translates into a lack of composure and execution. The excuses we make for this frankly juvenile and tiresome behavior is fascinating.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Seems like every team we've lost to this year was due to an impact transfer having a great game against us...must be nice
Or if our upperclassmen improved like we all thought they would’ve

Reaction Score
Thanks for the observations.

I'm not as down as last night as most on this board. We kept it close despite so many things not going our way. I think the guys and the coach will give them a bigger chip on their shoulder for future games and we'll have a us vs. the world mentality going forward. Coach and Andre both made some mental mistakes to get drawed up. Everyone had each others back after that happened and it was visible on TV. If we hit a few more shots and layups we win even with all the foul trouble and poor rebounding.

Credit to Xavier they played hard.

Reaction Score
If Refs are gunning for you, then you better wise up, control yourself and not put your team in compromised position. This nonsense that the kids will run through a brick wall means nothing other than they buy into his frenetic, hyped up mind set, which translates into a lack of composure and execution. The excuses we make for this frankly juvenile and tiresome behavior is fascinating.
It's the middle ground there that Hurley really needs to find. The fire and willingness to stand up for your guys is great- it's what's allowing him to punch above his weight recruiting-wise and why he hasn't lost any core pieces to the transfer portal thus far (sorry to the Carlton loyalists out there). But it needs to be second to composure and execution- especially in a winnable (and valuable) game like last night.

Reaction Score
Great post. I've noticed the xavier students as well. On the TV. Great home environment they have.

Nunges was totally the difference. Great transfer signing for them.

But your phrase "battled like champions" is what I saw more than anything else.
How good was that Iowa front line the last few years? He knows how to play with other good bigs.

Reaction Score

Blue you’re my boy.

Reaction Score
Xavier's Average Attendance as of Feb.10 was 10,033

The Big East attendance leaders:

Creighton...16,404
Marquette...13,130
Xavier.........10,033
UCon............9,954

Xavier has averaged about 79 fans a game more than UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom