Wyoming alumnus here | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wyoming alumnus here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're correct, however, the big reason for making the swing through those states is to add five more states to my "Been to List". By adding those states I'll only have Oregon and Alaska remaining.
I understand your mission. I have 5 to go. (Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii).

Reaction Score
You're correct, however, the big reason for making the swing through those states is to add five more states to my "Been to List". By adding those states I'll only have Oregon and Alaska remaining.
I get it. Football road trips are a great way to address other goals such as States visited or awesome sites you wanted to see but wouldn't likely go but for the away game. We used the Boise St game in 2018 to visit South Dakota, which was my last remaining state. Started in Rapid City (Mt Rushmore), drove into WY to see Devils Tower, then over to Jackson Hole. In Idaho we went to Sun Valley before our final stop in Boise--an awesome small city. It was a great trip. Will likely do something similar on way to Clemson.

Reaction Score
Worked for BLM and got to explore the Great Divide Basin. Wamsutter. Left a positive lasting impression on me. Then became a Greenie.
I guess I can forgive that; as long as you didn’t go to Colorado State!

Reaction Score
A lot indeed, but think about how big a state like Wyoming is alone, or along with its surrounding states. The entire New England area they're traveling probably fits one state... We live in a much faster pace life around these parts than folks that have hung out in those parts.

@DCPoke - Enjoy the ride and sights with your buddies. Safe travels. Lots of nut jobs riding on these roads lately.
A lot indeed, but think about how big a state like Wyoming is alone, or along with its surrounding states. The entire New England area they're traveling probably fits one state... We live in a much faster pace life around these parts than folks that have hung out in those parts.

@DCPoke - Enjoy the ride and sights with your buddies. Safe travels. Lots of nut jobs riding on these roads lately.
Thanks all for the information! I've posted a link to this thread on Go WYO Go Rivals message board. Looking forward to the game. Both teams will be four games into the season, so it should be a heck of a game

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You'll have better luck further north, down here they usually don't peak until mid October. Northern New England may be in peak by that time.

Accommodations: If you're looking to walk for meals/entertainment, then Delamar in WH is very nice, and within walking distance of everything you'd need. If you're driving everywhere and just looking for cheapish accommodations there are plenty of places to pick from in East Hartford, Glastonbury, Windsor, Windsor Locks that are convenient. Where you stay really depends on how you're travelling, and what you'd like to do while here. Traffic here is nothing like DC, so I wouldn't be concerned with staying as close to the stadium as possible.

LOTS of food options:
Mexican/Spanish - bartaco, Barcelona
Seafood - Max's Oyster
Burgers - Max's Burger
Mediterranean - Zahara
Steakhouse - Fleming's
Italian - Treva, Bricco
Thai - Blue Elephant

Bars/Drinks:
Vinted (if you're into wine tasting)
The Place 2 Be
World of Beer
Elbow Room

Tailgating:
Highly recommend the parking lot on Silver Lane across from the stadium (Pratt & Whitney owned softball fields), the rules are more lax with respect to tailgating, and the walk is much shorter than the red lot (gameday/non season-pass parking). Address: 544 Silver Ln #568, East Hartford. Also try googling "tailgating at softball fields east hartford ct"
The day care an 1/8 of a mile or so is a goldmine too

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
116 counties with a population larger than Wyoming

Attachments

• E5Kmix8WYAMCtlx.jpg
    E5Kmix8WYAMCtlx.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 90
Reaction Score
I guess I can forgive that; as long as you didn’t go to Colorado State!
Went from BLM to Forest service in Minturn (Vail). I remember witnessing the conflict at at the Encampment wood choppers ( Real Mangy Moose) but really I am more of a lumberjack. Schooled in NH but worked with many CSU.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Went from BLM to Forest service in Minturn (Vail). I remember witnessing the conflict at at the Encampment wood choppers ( Real Mangy Moose) but really I am more of a lumberjack. Schooled in NH but worked with many CSU.
Minturn Vail forest service? What do you do while there?

Reaction Score
I resided in Carbon county which is likely larger than CT.
I just looked it up for fun. Carbon County is 7964 square miles with a population of 15,885 while CT is 5543 square miles with a population of 3.6 million. Most towns in CT have a higher population than an entire county that is larger than our state. That’s crazy.

Reaction Score
Minturn Vail forest service? What do you do while there?
Ran a chainsaw crew, worked wild land fires, met my wife, worked at a hotel with ski pass in winter. Glory days for sure.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ran a chainsaw crew, worked wild land fires, met my wife, worked at a hotel with ski pass in winter. Glory days for sure.
I did some time in Montana… fun out there, but I don’t regret coming back East. Been to Minturn…skied many of the CO mountains like Vail, BC, etc.

I can now see the van and bongo’s you must have had back then.

Reaction Score
No van though, 80’s Ranger with a cap. Slept next to my mtn bike a bit. Juevos rancheros breakfast at the turntable or pitchers of margaritas at the saloon in minturn are unforgettable

Reaction Score
I kid. I kid. I know many fine CSU grads though we never stop jawing about our “bitter” rivalry. Wyoming and Colorado A&M (the school’s original name) have been playing each other since the 1890s. Only wars have interrupted the annual game. It’s one of the oldest college rivalries in the western U.S. Here’s a Wikipedia article about the “Border War”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_War_(Colorado_State–Wyoming_rivalry)

Reaction Score
A couple of friends and I are driving up from Virginia to see the Cowboys play the Huskies in September. Any advice regarding accommodations, dining, and tailgating?
There’s a Pepe’s Pizza in Manchester, if riding to New Haven isn’t on the agenda. Highly recommend the UCONN Dairy Bar on campus. Windsor, Manchester and Glastonbury are all towns with chain hotels and are close by to the Rent.

Reaction Score
I kid. I kid. I know many fine CSU grads though we never stop jawing about our “bitter” rivalry. Wyoming and Colorado A&M (the school’s original name) have been playing each other since the 1890s. Only wars have interrupted the annual game. It’s one of the oldest college rivalries in the western U.S. Here’s a Wikipedia article about the “Border War”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_War_(Colorado_State–Wyoming_rivalry)
I was treated well by both

Reaction Score
There’s a Pepe’s Pizza in Manchester, if riding to New Haven isn’t on the agenda. Highly recommend the UCONN Dairy Bar on campus. Windsor, Manchester and Glastonbury are all towns with chain hotels and are close by to the Rent.
Thanks for the info!

Reaction Score
It's official now. Booked a room in the Hampton Inn & Suites on Pitkin Street in East Hartford. Looks to be a couple of miles from Pratt & Whitney Stadium.

My son may come with me. He's a Virginia Tech grad and said the Wyoming game would probably be more interesting than seeing his Hokies play the Richmond Spiders the same day. He's kind of a lucky charm for Wyoming games. The last time he gave up going to a VT game to go with me to a Wyoming game the Pokes beat Tennessee. However, when he went with me when the Hokies had a bye, Appalachian State ran all over the Cowboys in Boone, NC.

Also another Wyoming grad living in Virginia called me up today and said he and his son are coming to the game. I figure we'll have a couple of hundred or more fans at the game. Not bad for being 1,890 miles from Laramie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Neil Young is playing in Hartford that day!

Reaction Score
Just got word the Wyoming booster group, Cowboy Joe Club, and the Wyoming Alumni Association, are co-sponsoring a tailgate event before our game. I was also told by the UW Ticket Office that sales to Wyoming fans are going real well. Looks like there’s going to be a bunch of Stetsons inPratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field

Reaction Score
That is A LOT to try to pack into a week, and I don't really think you'll get any sense for any of those places. I'd just pick 1 and commit...cant really go wrong with any IMO.
And there are no Wyoming highways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger